Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Weaning to formula

  1. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    airmanssweetie's Avatar
    airmanssweetie is offline
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    McChord AFB, WA
    Posts
    35,614


    #1

    Weaning to formula

    Advertisements
    I think I'm slowly leaning towards formula feeding. I made my goal to bf for the first 4 months so I should be happy about that. However, BFing has become so much of an added stress for me bc of her latching/unlatching and then crying bc my let down won't come fast enough for her. Then theres the going out in public and making sure she eats before we leave and then worrying about having to nurse in public, which i dont do bc im not comfortable..and so on. But i'm pretty much just tired of sharing my body with her, want my boobs back and all that jazz, but i feel so guilty and sad about it.. like a failure, selfish.. I really dont know what i want to do but mentally i think it would be the best thing for me AND her.

    Anyways, my plan is to introduce 1 bottle of formula and see how she takes to it, if she does good then we'll do 1 bottle for a few days then bump it up to 2 then so on until she is getting formula all the time and i dry up. Did anyone else do it this way? We bought the gerber good start.

    I'm so conflicted on this...
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    jordana's Avatar
    jordana is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    hawaii
    Posts
    3,016
    #2
    Good luck to you, girl! I just weaned Keygan and my bewbiez are so sore! You can do it though I'm such a big baby LOL
  3. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    airmanssweetie's Avatar
    airmanssweetie is offline
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    McChord AFB, WA
    Posts
    35,614


    #3
    When i stopped after a month with bella, mine werent sore at all. I'm not too worried about that.. i think if i do it slowly then it wont be such a shock to my system..
  4. Hooked on the sauce
    devilwhiterose's Avatar
    devilwhiterose is offline
    Hooked on the sauce
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,302
    #4
    Weaning went pretty easy for me, but I had to because my supply went to hell in the first month.

    If she's on bottles, it should be a breeze. The only big concerns I guess you could have is whether or not there's any milk issues in your family. My boys had to be on soy while my daughter has to be on hypoallergenic formula due to the protein intolerances. Hopefully the transition goes easy for you!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    jordana's Avatar
    jordana is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    hawaii
    Posts
    3,016
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    When i stopped after a month with bella, mine werent sore at all. I'm not too worried about that.. i think if i do it slowly then it wont be such a shock to my system..
    I thought my supply had dwindled enough to avoid engorgement. Boy, was I wrong. this kid must had eaten a full days supply in one feeding or something good luck!
  6. Senior Member
    Abigail's Avatar
    Abigail is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,411
    #6
    Don't feel guilty! You breastfed for 4 months, that's awesome! I'd just slowly introduce it, like you said.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    jordana's Avatar
    jordana is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    hawaii
    Posts
    3,016
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    Don't feel guilty! You breastfed for 4 months, that's awesome! I'd just slowly introduce it, like you said.
    ansley wants her mommy stress-free and happy, too. Four months is very awesome!
  8. Senior Member
    Abigail's Avatar
    Abigail is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,411
    #8
    This is the reason I introduced formula. I do not want to give up breastfeeding yet because part of me enjoys it and I'd feel too guilty, but I LOVE having that option now.
  9. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    airmanssweetie's Avatar
    airmanssweetie is offline
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    McChord AFB, WA
    Posts
    35,614


    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by devilwhiterose View Post
    Weaning went pretty easy for me, but I had to because my supply went to hell in the first month.

    If she's on bottles, it should be a breeze. The only big concerns I guess you could have is whether or not there's any milk issues in your family. My boys had to be on soy while my daughter has to be on hypoallergenic formula due to the protein intolerances. Hopefully the transition goes easy for you!
    No, there aren't any issues to my knowledge. My older 2 took regular formula just fine. She DID throw up ALL of the formula she had the other week so we'll see. IF it's something she can not tolerate, obviously we will continue with BFing and talk to her pedi about it and go from there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    This is the reason I introduced formula. I do not want to give up breastfeeding yet because part of me enjoys it and I'd feel too guilty, but I LOVE having that option now.
    Sometimes I do enjoy it but it's become less enjoyable for me now and I think she picks up on that too.. I really dont know what I plan to do..
  10. Senior Member
    *Stephanie*'s Avatar
    *Stephanie* is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    JBER; Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    16,315
    #10
    We mixed with breastmilk while weening. Not sure if that's an option. I think 4 months is great!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •