Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a pediatrician refuse a patient if...

1. Mommy2Dakota
    Mommy2Dakota
    Me: Long Island, NY Him: MK A School Yorktown, VA

Question Can a pediatrician refuse a patient if...

Advertisements
    You've decided not to vaccinate until two years of age? DH and I thought long and hard- about family history and our preferences for DD and we are waiting till 2 to vaccinate her... I called to make an appointment for a check up for DD today and the nurse said she'll have the Dr. get back to me because they "don't treat children who aren't vaccinated".
    I thought it was against the law to turn a child down for any reason.. Maybe I'm wrong....?

2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    if its the rules of his practice I'm sure he can.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I don't believe its against the law as I have heard of many places doing this.

It can be a risk to other children, dr's are just covering themselves incase something happens. There are child care centers and schools that will not let kids who are not vaccinated attend for the same reasons.

You just need to find a dr. that is more on par with how you want to parent your child.
  4. Senior Member
    Drs can refuse to take a patient into their practice or for them to be a client. If your child came in dying he couldn't refuse to treat them, but to take them as a regular patient yes they can do that.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    A doctor can refuse to treat anyone who is not in need of urgent medical care.
  6. Senior Member
    Yes, they can...as can day cares, the CDC, churches can refuse to let them into their nurseries...alot of things can be out of reach until the child is vaccinated
  7. Banned
    Banned
    yes, they can.

remember Dr's offices are a business and Dr's are now taking the steps to protect themselves from unnecessary lawsuits.

you will need to call around to find a Dr that will see him for routine visits un vac'ed
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsguardian88 View Post
    You've decided not to vaccinate until two years of age? DH and I thought long and hard- about family history and our preferences for DD and we are waiting till 2 to vaccinate her... I called to make an appointment for a check up for DD today and the nurse said she'll have the Dr. get back to me because they "don't treat children who aren't vaccinated".
    I thought it was against the law to turn a child down for any reason.. Maybe I'm wrong....?
    Absolutely (I think ). It is so very risky to the child and to other children, for vaccination to be delayed. A dr does not have to put other childrens' health (especially children already sick) at risk, in order to serve a child/parent who has knowingly placed themselves or their child at risk.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  9. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Any doctor can refuse treatment for any number of reasons it could be policy. It could also be to protect the health of other patients as well as the health of the medical team it is not against the law either to refuse treating someone.

I know plenty of people including children that have been refused treatment before while it sucks for them it is normally policies set in place to protect others. Without the shots the child is at higher risk for things the shot is to protect against, and if it is their policy not to take kids like that then make your kid the exception you could turn around and Sue them for breaking policy "endangering your child" or some be like that. (not saying you would but some others wothat.

To put it simply Its to cover their ass to as well as protecting others. Which I think is more then fair you make the choice to wait that long then find a doctor that will work with you choice but as far as i know not many will even want to see your kid You may get stuck only having emergency care places as a last resort when your little one is sick.

Also wanted to add no decent daycare or childcare place (even some nanny services and babysitters requird it) even on base will watch the little one without up to date shot records. So it not only sucks in trying to find medical care no child care even some churches will refuse her as well. You can likely find a select few doctors that will take her you will just have to research and call around.
    Signature removed due to size.
  10. jadedvoices
    jadedvoices
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi89 View Post
    Absolutely (I think ). It is so very risky to the child and to other children, for vaccination to be delayed. A dr does not have to put other childrens' health (especially children already sick) at risk, in order to serve a child/parent who has knowingly placed themselves or their child at risk.
    ‎"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast