Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milk Supply- Help!

1. One Day At A Time...
    One Day At A Time...

Milk Supply- Help!

Advertisements
    My milk supply is decreasing. A lot. Braxton was born August 11th, and I have been pumping exclusively for him since then. (Because he was a preemie and we have to monitor his calories so closely to make sure he is gaining weight, we haven't started breast feeding yet.)

As recent as last w eek I could pump 4-5 ounces every 3 hours. In the last few days, Im lucky if I get 2-3 every 5 hours. Thankfully I had quite a stash in the freezer for him so I haven't had to use formula, but I don't know what to do about my supply.

I have a call into the lactation consultant, but I was hoping the wonderful moms here could give me some advice. Anyone? Help.
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Hmmm... I thought that exclusively pumping wouldn't increase the supply and could potentially decrease it. To increase the supply the baby would have to latch on. A pump doesn't get to all the milk ducts, so essentially those that aren't being used will dry up, thus resulting in lower supply.

but i could be way off.
  3. One Day At A Time...
    One Day At A Time...
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Hmmm... I thought that exclusively pumping wouldn't increase the supply and could potentially decrease it. To increase the supply the baby would have to latch on. A pump doesn't get to all the milk ducts, so essentially those that aren't being used will dry up, thus resulting in lower supply.

but i could be way off.
    You might be right. I honestly don't know. We were getting ready to start letting his try to breastfeed and he came down with a wicked case of thrush. Im worried that my milk will disappear before that's resolved and we can try.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I'd definitely try to get in touch with the lactation consultant or a doctor to see if those unused ducts have dried up. I'm not sure if hand compressions would work or not.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post

but i could be way off.
    This.

I would try Phenugreek (spelling??). I don't know if it changes the quality but a few friends say it increased production for them.

BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  6. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

I think Caimbrie said more mothers milk or something like that worked better for her than fenugreek.

You should still be able to nurse with thrush???? When can you start nursing him? Can you pump more often, every1- 2hrs instead of 2-3? A pump is no where near as good as the baby
  7. One Day At A Time...
    One Day At A Time...
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybun View Post
    This.

I would try Phenugreek (spelling??). I don't know if it changes the quality but a few friends say it increased production for them.
    I was just looking at that, I need to figure out where to get it. Its worth a shot.

Gah. This whole thing has been such a mess. Nothing has gone to plan.
  8. One Day At A Time...
    One Day At A Time...
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    I think Caimbrie said more mothers milk or something like that worked better for her than fenugreek.

You should still be able to nurse with thrush???? When can you start nursing him? Can you pump more often, every1- 2hrs instead of 2-3? A pump is no where near as good as the baby
    He's having a hard time latching onto even his bottle right now. The doctor said we should just wait so he doesn't get frustrated and exhausted and doesn't eat, but I may just give up and try anyway. Im worried too that if it effects my nipples that we will be setting ourselves up for failure... but I guess we are kind of on that path anyway.

Im going to try pumping more today to see if that helps.
  9. Senior Member
    Fenugreek (good one)

Oatmeal (lots of it...it truly works..any form)

also...yes having the baby latch on is what will make your milk come in hard, I'm not sure about the nursing with thrush but I have a website that is excellent...brb

www.kellymom.com
  10. Senior Member
    Fenugreek, blessed thistle, Mother's Milk Love (capsule form), get him nursing asap, pump after feedings 10-15 mins, pump more often, and if push comes to shove, check out Dr. Jack Newman's website (jacknewman.org?) to see what you think/feel about domperidone. It's not for everyone.

Also, 2-3oz/feeding, while less than what you were producing, is still a GOOD amount. At his age, it's plenty. It's also normal for supply to fluctuate. Remember, it's controlled by the endocrine system (hormonal release) for the first 1-3 weeks, then switches over to supply & demand. More pumping = more demand = more supply.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast