Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing family pets to new babies

1. Senior Member

Introducing family pets to new babies

Advertisements
    What's the best way to do so? What were your experiences when you brought baby home? Were there any issues of jealousy or aggression?
  2. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Ooo I'm definitely going to this thread.

My biggest fear is that I'll bring Landon home and my dogs won't be good about it

3. It is what it is....
    It is what it is....
    We were told by the vet to bring home a onesie/outfit or a blanket the baby was wrapped up in the hospital and have the dog smell it before the baby comes home.

My dad did this when my sister was born. The morning after my sister was born, my dad went home to let the dog out and put the blanket the baby had been swaddled in with the dog in her kennel that night. She smelled it and laid by it all night. When they brought the baby home they kept the baby in the car carrier and held the dogs collar and let her sniff the baby.

Once they took the baby out, my dad sat on the couch and held her while the dog was allowed to sniff the baby. She never had any agression and ended up being very protective of the baby. Whenever Olivia would nap the dog would be curled up next to whatever she was sleeping in. When the baby cried, the dog would go and find my dad or step mom if they weren't by the baby. She was a lab.

We have a little dog and plan on doing the same with her when we bring Jack home. I would think just slowly introduce the dog to the baby and to be sure to spend some "quality" time with the dog as well so they don't get jealous.
  4. CREATOR OF MINIBOT
    CREATOR OF MINIBOT
    Thankfully our cats are loving bundles of cuddle puddles.
    When they met my friends baby they just sniffed and then wandered off.
    I'm not worried about it : )
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *IGrowPeople* View Post
    Ooo I'm definitely going to this thread.

My biggest fear is that I'll bring Landon home and my dogs won't be good about it
    I know that's my biggest fear as well, and it would break my heart if I had to rehome Roxy because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JSL8809 View Post
    We were told by the vet to bring home a onesie/outfit or a blanket the baby was wrapped up in the hospital and have the dog smell it before the baby comes home.

My dad did this when my sister was born. The morning after my sister was born, my dad went home to let the dog out and put the blanket the baby had been swaddled in with the dog in her kennel that night. She smelled it and laid by it all night. When they brought the baby home they kept the baby in the car carrier and held the dogs collar and let her sniff the baby.

Once they took the baby out, my dad sat on the couch and held her while the dog was allowed to sniff the baby. She never had any agression and ended up being very protective of the baby. Whenever Olivia would nap the dog would be curled up next to whatever she was sleeping in. When the baby cried, the dog would go and find my dad or step mom if they weren't by the baby. She was a lab.

We have a little dog and plan on doing the same with her when we bring Jack home. I would think just slowly introduce the dog to the baby and to be sure to spend some "quality" time with the dog as well so they don't get jealous.
    That's really smart. See, I'm super paranoid about even letting Roxy roam around the house when baby is up and about. I'm planning on keeping a super close eye on her, never leaving her unattended with the baby, it's just really starting to stress me out and scare me to think that something may happen.
  6. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    You can buy CD's that play babies crying so they get used to the new noise before hand. Also, like JSL8809 said let them sniff something the baby has been wrapped in and has been using to sniff it before hand and see how they react.

Also, NEVER no matter how good the dog seems around the baby leave them in the same room alone even if it's just to go to the restroom or run in the kitchen take the baby with you. I've heard horror stories of beloved pets showing no signs they'd turn on the babies turning on them as soon as they were left alone with the baby.
    Signature removed due to size.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Our dogs just sniffed the baby, sniffed me, sniffed the baby, and sat down next to us. They would not let anyone but me hold the baby for the first month or so. They even got upset when my husband held him and would pace until I had him again. Our husky is really protective of the baby. Our Eskimo just ignores him most of the time. They get a little annoying and in your face if we don't pay enough attention to them and that is usually my sign that they need walked/cuddled/etc.
  8. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    I'm also concerned about this. Jethro is our "baby" right now and I'm interested to see how he's going to react. So far, we've made sure to let him in on every part of preparing for baby. When we brought the carseat home, we took it out of the box and let him sniff it and check it out. When I put the crib together, he layed there with me and "helped", the little things that we've brought home we've been letting him sniff and check out before putting them away.

Instead of buying a CD, I just go to youtube randomly and play videos of laughing/screaming/crying/noisy babies and so far, the noises haven't even phased him. Then I play a video of a Boxer howling and he howls with the video.

I really like the suggestion about bringing home something that smells like the baby first - I think we will definitely do that, along with of course not leaving the baby unattended with him at all.

Since I've been pregnant his protection drive has increased immensely though. Last week, DB had staff duty and he laid on the bed next to me all night but didn't sleep at all. He just stared towards the bedroom door, and he barked at every noise that he didn't like. Seriously, a piece of paper fell off of one of my photo boards and I thought the damn house was being broken into because of my alarm system boxer.

I like that he's protective of me, and I'm hoping that he is the same way about the baby.

“In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMikeyBear View Post
    You can buy CD's that play babies crying so they get used to the new noise before hand. Also, like JSL8809 said let them sniff something the baby has been wrapped in and has been using to sniff it before hand and see how they react.

Also, NEVER no matter how good the dog seems around the baby leave them in the same room alone even if it's just to go to the restroom or run in the kitchen take the baby with you. I've heard horror stories of beloved pets showing no signs they'd turn on the babies turning on them as soon as they were left alone with the baby.
    I agree 100%, I had actually just seen a news report out of Houston about one of these incidents, which kind of prompted me to start this thread.
  10. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverrein View Post
    I agree 100%, I had actually just seen a news report out of Houston about one of these incidents, which kind of prompted me to start this thread.
    Yeah I saw those stories a lot then it happened to ME with DD my aunt had my grandmothers dog(long story but he was a grumpy spaz to begin with and go figure I was living in Houston) and it just lunged at DD for no reason she wasn't anywhere near him I was even in the room just not watching her 100% she was on the floor next to me crawling as I was fixing her bottle... Next think I know I see him run from the other side of what was a huge likely 20+foot wide room to where we were and he bit her in the face(this was a small dog a shih tzu.). I pushed and kicked him away fairly fast sense I was right there even with me doing that he was still jumping up my leg biting me trying to get to her dunno why he snapped like he did that day either still and went after DD like that when she wasn't near him at all. He got her just above and just under the left eye and blood was coming down making it look worse then it was. So we rushed to the ER(my aunt and I) and I was told we got very lucky just a slight shift in his attack and he could of blinded her in that eye. Thank GOD butterfly band aids and cleaning it was all it needed sense I got him away fast so there were just holes and some bruising so it looked like my baby had a back eye..... (Think my aunt has pictures of it still I don't have any I can find.)

The bigger dog my aunt owned was much better with DD and even liked licking her toes while I'd be holding her making DD giggle and smile.

Anyways, I'm sure with you being on the look out and trying to get your dog used to having the baby coming she'll be just fine.

Oh I've also heard to try to not show her as much attention as you normally would like take time away doing something else so she gets used to not having all the attention she had before the baby sense the baby will take a lot of your time. I've heard it's supposed to help with jealousy part of bringing a new baby home.
    Signature removed due to size.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast