Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby puking after nursing :(

1. Senior Member

Baby puking after nursing :(

Advertisements
    I am at a loss as to what is wrong with little Miss Eleanor.

She just started to vomit after nursing, in the last couple of days. She puked once thursday night (the first time, so I didn't think it was a big deal), twice yesterday and then twice today. If I knew she was going to keep doing it, I would have asked her pediatrician on Friday when I was there. It's always after nursing - usually about 20 minutes later. She doesn't fuss or cry from it...and it's just breast milk - no bile. She doesn't struggle, strain or seem in pain during it.

I have no clue if I'm eating things that are upsetting her tummy, if she is over-eating or if she has acid reflux. I haven't eaten anything suspect - except for dairy (oranges, and plums?). The only thing that I have eaten over the last 3 days that could be the common factor is the dairy.

I nursed her at 7:25-7:50 tonight...kept her upright for 30 minutes afterwards. I took her to her room to change her and the minute she was on her back on the changing table, she puked.

Does anyone have any experience with this or ideas/tips/advice? I am going to call the pediatrician Tuesday morning - and I have a follow up with them Friday. I'm not sure if this is an emergency trip since she isn't fussing, has no fever, and still has plenty of wet and dirty diapers...and she isn't doing it EVERY time.

She weighs 10lbs, 4oz and is 9 days old.

Elvis Impression

2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

How much is she spitting back up? 1 tsp, 1 tbsp? It could be just that she is getting too much and she can't keep all of it down

3. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

If she isn't crying or in pain, I'd say it's most likely not reflux (I had 2 kids with reflux). She could just be spitting up! Some babies just spit up. Maybe she is getting a little more nursing than she needs .

Unless you mean she is like heaving.. then that's different.

ETA: Actually.. MOST babies spit up... . If you're eating something that is bothering her stomach, she'd probably be fussy.
  4. Senior Member
    I think it has to be at least a few ounces. She heaves at least once or twice, but it shoots out of her...it doesn't just dribble down her chin, it spews out So, I call vomit, not spit up.

She was born at 10lbs, 8.5 ounces, so she was born BIG. She nurses great and I seem to have a good milk supply. She sometimes coughs/chokes when she first latches on because it seems like I have a really fast let down.

I fully admit she is hard to burp, so I'm wondering if this could be as simple as her eating too much too fast and then me not burping her good enough. I feel like such a stupid mom.
  5. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorous View Post
    I think it has to be at least a few ounces. She heaves at least once or twice, but it shoots out of her...it doesn't just dribble down her chin, it spews out So, I call vomit, not spit up.

She was born at 10lbs, 8.5 ounces, so she was born BIG. She nurses great and I seem to have a good milk supply. She sometimes coughs/chokes when she first latches on because it seems like I have a really fast let down.

I fully admit she is hard to burp, so I'm wondering if this could be as simple as her eating too much too fast and then me not burping her good enough. I feel like such a stupid mom.

It's probably an air pocket causing it to "shoot". I get forceful letdown as well and it makes them swallow a lot of air. I'd try burping her more. You're not stupid
  6. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Some of mine spit-up horrible. Even when nothing was wrong. They eventually grow out of it, it's a real pain though .
  7. One Day At A Time...
    One Day At A Time...
    Braxton does this too occasionally. He gulps down milk, and hard as I try I can't always get the burp out. He isn't a good burper either. I think its just the air bubbles. Im hoping it will pass eventually! Good luck mama.
  8. Senior Member
    She is eating 15-20 minutes per side at 9 days old. Does that seem normal or a bit much? My friend is telling me that I am over-feeding her and that I need to cut back on the length of time.

When I did her follow up at the birth center she nursed 4 ounces in one sitting.
  9. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorous View Post
    She is eating 15-20 minutes per side at 9 days old. Does that seem normal or a bit much? My friend is telling me that I am over-feeding her and that I need to cut back on the length of time.

When I did her follow up at the birth center she nursed 4 ounces in one sitting.
    I would just nurse her as much as she wants to nurse. It's good for your supply and if she's not hungry, she wont eat. If you start limiting her feedings it'll hurt your supply.

You're doing great. They tend to nurse longer at first. It's a good thing.
  10. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

do you burp her between sides? or even 1/2 way through each side try burping her, this would help a bit if she is hard to burp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast