Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Supplementing.

1. Senior Member

Hungry Supplementing.

Advertisements
    I have ALMOST reached 4 months of exclusive Breastfeeding! Homecoming is around the corner and I have some Scentsy parties booked for next month. I occasionally pump, but it doesn't really work out for me. I don't get very much and it feels like more of a pain than it's worth. I've been considering supplementing on occasion for times when I have parties or like when we're at the pier since I have no desire to nurse in public.

Just looking for some Mom's who supplement on occasion? I'm still a little nervous about it. I also don't want know if she'll like it or what a good kind is for babies that are breastfed. I'm also scared of the smell.
  2. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

What smell? I FF my older 2 and I don't recall them being smelly

Anywho, I have some enfamil premium for Ansley that I have in the diaper bag that I carry with us incase we are out somewhere and she is hungry bc I don't feel comfy NIP. If she does eat while we are out , then i just pump when we get home and save whatever I get. Since she is mostly STTN, I pump right before I go to bed and freeze that milk (which only half an oz to 2ozs usually) just to have on hand for whatever. Not very much but thats okay Anyways...
  3. Senior Member
    IDK. Everyone I know has said formula smells BLECH. I wouldn't know because I've never so much as opened a can.
  4. Moderator

I haven't noticed a difference in smell from either of my bebes when I went from BF to FF. When I was supplementing Damien while he was nursing, we used Enfamil and he did very well with it. Lyric went straight from 100% BF to 100% FF pretty much overnight, and we started her on Enfamil as well, but she's had every kind of formula and done just fine with them all. I think different brands just suit different babies, so you might want to try sample of different ones. Enfamil and Similac both have things you can sign up for where they send you samples, I think, or you might be able to get some samples at your pediatrician's office, though I'm not sure on that one if you're seen by a military doc.
  5. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Oh the smell of the formula? I thought you meant their poops

Yeah it has a little smell but it's nothing horrible. I mean, if you intentionally stick your nose down into the bottle, then yeah you can smell it but other than that .. nah.
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Honestly, the smell only gets bad if the milk gets somewhere that you don't notice it until it gets smelly. For example, when babies bottle feed they have a tendency to have milk collect around their neck if it dribbles down the side. You just have to wipe it out every feeding with a bottle and you are good. Since Kaia has a super chubby neck we have noticed it more if she falls asleep while she is eating and we forget to wipe her neck out and lay her down for bed.

As for supplementing itself, we did it pretty much from day one for the first month when I stopped BFing. Of course Nikaia was fed a bottle in the nursery and so she was all about how easy it was right from the start so getting her to take a bottle wasn't the problem, getting her to take the boob was. I think it just takes trial and error with finding the right bottle and the right formula though. Personally, I would try the cheapest formula first, because if you can get her to take it without problems and save some cash... SCORE! Just keep in mind that it takes most kids a few weeks to get used to a new formula, so she may have some gas issues at first if you do supplement, so give her time to adjust before you mix it up again.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! I hope I can make it a whole 4 months EFB with the new baby!! With the trouble I had with Nikaia I am going to take it one month at a time and see how it goes.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    , I wasn't able to BF with Keira . So she was formula fed from the start. Yes once the formula is mixed with the water it does stink, but nothing like unless you try to inhale it
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindorella View Post
    Honestly, the smell only gets bad if the milk gets somewhere that you don't notice it until it gets smelly. For example, when babies bottle feed they have a tendency to have milk collect around their neck if it dribbles down the side. You just have to wipe it out every feeding with a bottle and you are good. Since Kaia has a super chubby neck we have noticed it more if she falls asleep while she is eating and we forget to wipe her neck out and lay her down for bed.

As for supplementing itself, we did it pretty much from day one for the first month when I stopped BFing. Of course Nikaia was fed a bottle in the nursery and so she was all about how easy it was right from the start so getting her to take a bottle wasn't the problem, getting her to take the boob was. I think it just takes trial and error with finding the right bottle and the right formula though. Personally, I would try the cheapest formula first, because if you can get her to take it without problems and save some cash... SCORE! Just keep in mind that it takes most kids a few weeks to get used to a new formula, so she may have some gas issues at first if you do supplement, so give her time to adjust before you mix it up again.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! I hope I can make it a whole 4 months EFB with the new baby!! With the trouble I had with Nikaia I am going to take it one month at a time and see how it goes.
    That's what I do! I set small monthly goals for myself with BF'ing because it is challenging. It really helps though!
    I'd see if maybe they would hold off on the bottle after baby boy/girl is born this time, so that way it doesn't make it any more challenging on you to get started.

I've heard that soy formula is better for breastfed babies because it's easier on their tummies, does anyone know if this is true or not?
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I formula supplemented with my older DD and I did notice a difference in smell (the food itself, her poops, breath) Also she spit up more with formula, idky though. But she slept longer and seemed more satisfied. I wasn't able to continue EBF after about 7 months. When I started to supplement, my supply dropped and she preferred being bottlefed then I just gave up trying to breastfeed with her.

I also remember DD getting gassy, trying the soy based formula, but she couldn't keep it down. I just rubbed her belly after to help move the air bubbles down. Eventually she got used to the formula and did better, less gassy. It was a definite difference for her though, but fortunately she had gotten used to it within a week or two
  10. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    That's what I do! I set small monthly goals for myself with BF'ing because it is challenging. It really helps though!
    I'd see if maybe they would hold off on the bottle after baby boy/girl is born this time, so that way it doesn't make it any more challenging on you to get started.

I've heard that soy formula is better for breastfed babies because it's easier on their tummies, does anyone know if this is true or not?
    Yeah I am going to demand no bottles this time. I was so worried about Nikaia, first time mom and all, going to the nursery to expel mucus that I didn't tell them no bottles, but this time I am going to make sure if we end up with another night in the nursery that they bring the baby back to BF. I think that will really help!

I have heard soy is easier but for Kaia it made her really constipated. I know the formulas for gas and spitting up are made gentler, not sure if those are milk or soy based though.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast