Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Stupid Jen question, v. 388...

1. Senior Member

Question Stupid Jen question, v. 388...

Advertisements

Cards on the table, I saw Jamie and Abigail talking on FB about teething necklaces. Never heard of them before, but the conversation had this knowingness and casualty to it that made me think I should have.

Part vent, part plea for pity/help...

What kind of rock do I actually live under that all of my IRL friends have kids, yet no one is telling me about the neat little inventions to make being a parent easier?! Another example: at a consignment sale recently, I found out there are toys that encourage your baby to "chase" them by rolling/crawling/etc. When I was pregnant, no one told me then, either. I learned about preggo pillows from someone else's FB post (Trina's?) I seem to just stumble across things from "eavesdropping" online conversations. /vent.

Soooo, now the help n' stuff part.

If you had a 3-mo. old who may be venturing into teething, stares at your food as it goes towards your mouth (but ped. says is too young for solids), had a recent bout with first-time constipation, has to stay indoors much of the time due to 100 degree weather and gets bored, and as a parent, the obvious is the oblivious to you...where might you look to get yourself informed? What suggestions would you wish your friends might have suggested to you earlier...or at all?

[It occurred to me while typing this that Michaela doesn't have a humidifier.] I'm not going to panic, but we can afford to spend a little to spoil/entertain/comfort her and/or ease the new parent transition on ourselves. We just don't know...what we don't know. I get tired of learning/doing things the hard way out of sheer ignorance.
  2. Senior Member
    Okay, seriously, I spend SO much time reading online and I'm in several parenting groups on Facebook, etc. I stumble across things from people talking about them. So, don't think that we just happen to know all this stuff.

I have to look stuff up because I am on the "crunchy" side of parenting, so I go for more natural options-which aren't the basic, run of the mill, what your pedi and every parenting book, recommends type thing. Therefore I have to look online and talk to other Mom's who parent similar to the way I do.

If you have any questions about anything feel free to PM me here or on Facebook.
  3. Senior Member
    Anna doesn't have a humidifier. We haven't needed one.
  4. Moderator

Damien never had a teething necklace. He used cold carrots for teething. I've never had a pregnancy pillow, though I did use a body pillow some with the second pregnancy- we bought it for my FIL when he visited once. We've never had a humidifier. Damien had a ball that rolled away to help him learn to crawl... in which he showed zero interest until after he was walking.

My real point is... you don't NEED all that stuff! You can have happy, healthy children by just getting what you find you need for your specific baby as you go! We are very minimalistic, and our kids are happy, healthy, mobile and intelligent, just like yours will be!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    Okay, seriously, I spend SO much time reading online and I'm in several parenting groups on Facebook, etc. I stumble across things from people talking about them. So, don't think that we just happen to know all this stuff.

I have to look stuff up because I am on the "crunchy" side of parenting, so I go for more natural options-which aren't the basic, run of the mill, what your pedi and every parenting book, recommends type thing. Therefore I have to look online and talk to other Mom's who parent similar to the way I do.

If you have any questions about anything feel free to PM me here or on Facebook.
    Thank you! I apologize for eavesdropping your convo, though. I am aware of the "crunchy" parenting style, and I welcome the education on the options (if nothing else). Some aspects of AP appeal to me, but don't have practical application to our lives right now, kwim? If you think it is a good product/service/behavior, I would like to hear about it.

We both work full-time, with different off days. My mom watches her in our home 2 days/week for now. She's BF with supplementation due to low supply (the bigger she gets, the longer I'm away from her, the harder it gets for me to even dream of catching up).
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    Damien never had a teething necklace. He used cold carrots for teething. I've never had a pregnancy pillow, though I did use a body pillow some with the second pregnancy- we bought it for my FIL when he visited once. We've never had a humidifier. Damien had a ball that rolled away to help him learn to crawl... in which he showed zero interest until after he was walking.

My real point is... you don't NEED all that stuff! You can have happy, healthy children by just getting what you find you need for your specific baby as you go! We are very minimalistic, and our kids are happy, healthy, mobile and intelligent, just like yours will be!
    The humidifier was just a bottle rocket that shot across my mind as I was chronicling the highlights of her last couple of weeks. It's one of those things that I can just imagine talking to a friend about Michaela being congested or sick one day, and the friend saying "have you tried a humidifier? It SAVED us when..." Not to say that I would run out and buy one on that suggestion alone, but that I would be the sort that didn't even know it was an option until we had already suffered through the hard way.

I don't know if I'm making sense. It's not real organized. Like, change out "humidifier" for generic product X.

And I don't really know what we would DO with the knowledge, or ultimately how we will parent (other than one day at a time ), but I would like to at least know what's out there.
  7. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

I found out stuff via this and other message boards. But ditto what e eryone else said.
  8. Moderator

I always say that my first was my guinea pig baby...lol.

He is almost 12 and we didn't really have the option of going online and researching what was out there and what others were doing. I just went with my gut on almost everything. I think I did subscribe to a parenting magazine, but that's about it. I'm definitely more on the "crunchy" side of parenting and that was a lot more out there 12 years ago than it is now.

I think you just rely on your maternal instinct. You're doing great! Your child will be fine. You will find out what works for your individual baby and find stuff to suit her needs.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Usually the best way to find out tips and tricks such as the ones you mentioned is by reading on the internet or hearing what your friends are doing for their little ones. Like Loving said it is possible to have healthy happy babies without all of this stuff, but reading parenting forums and stuff on general parenting on here is a good place to start if you are looking for this kind of advice!!

And for the humidifier, if you have a congested baby or a baby with croup, you don't need a humidifier, just take them into a bathroom, close the door and turn the hot water all the way up and sit in the bathroom (obviously not getting into the shower that is incredibly hot ) When I was sick during my friend's wedding I sat in the bathroom in the hotel room with the hot water running in the shower for 3/4's of the night because I couldn't breathe! It works just as well if not better because it's in a small confined area!

There are ways to getting around going out and buying things to make it easier. The fact that you care enough to ask these questions, tell me that you and your DH are really great parents

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  10. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    None of us got into this gig knowing these things. We all learn by trial & error & even being on baby two is a lot of trial & error since my boys could not possibly be more different. Don't stress so much- you love her, you feed her, you protect her & you keep her clean & happy- she needs nothing else in this world beyond that!