Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone's babies on Zantac?

1. MDB

Anyone's babies on Zantac?

Advertisements
    Juliana's doctor put her on it yesterday to see if it helps her at all. She throws up ALL the time they say she is "a happy spitter". They said it won't really help with the spitting up but if its causing her any discomfort it would help. It never seems to bother her when she does it though so i don't know if i wanna try it the thought of her being 3months old and on Zantac kinda bothers me.

Anyone have to put their babies on it? Did it make a difference?
  2. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

My DS was a reflux baby and spit up all.the.time and aren't just talking here and there, we're talking about soaking through bibs and half of the front and back of his onesies/clothes He would literally spit up HANDFULLS of spit up Ick! Anyways he was on zantac and it never made any difference in the amount of spitting up. The only thing that DID was Enfamil A.R., it has rice cereal in it but the downfall was it made him terribly constipated! We never did find a middle ground. Even when he started solids he spit them up etc. He eventually out grew it a few weeks shy of his first birthday.

Ansley spits up alot, but no where near as bad as Jackson. Her spit up is just annoying
  3. MDB
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    My DS was a reflux baby and spit up all.the.time and aren't just talking here and there, we're talking about soaking through bibs and half of the front and back of his onesies/clothes He would literally spit up HANDFULLS of spit up Ick! Anyways he was on zantac and it never made any difference in the amount of spitting up. The only thing that DID was Enfamil A.R., it has rice cereal in it but the downfall was it made him terribly constipated! We never did find a middle ground. Even when he started solids he spit them up etc. He eventually out grew it a few weeks shy of his first birthday.

Ansley spits up alot, but no where near as bad as Jackson. Her spit up is just annoying
    That sounds EXACTLY like what Juliana is like!! is getting bigger so he said he isn't worry about it, I really don't want to not be able to breastfeed anymore but if i need to switch to a formula to help her then i will.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    That sounds EXACTLY like what Juliana is like!! is getting bigger so he said he isn't worry about it, I really don't want to not be able to breastfeed anymore but if i need to switch to a formula to help her then i will.
    You do NOT have to switch to formula to get some relief for her. Zantac did nothing for DS. He is no on baclofen, prevacid & carafate. You just have to be willing to find the right combo of medications to help. Breastmilk is actually MUCH better for a reflux baby than ANY formula. You are doing a great job, hang in there! Seeing a pediatric gastroenterologist really helped us understand DS's problem

5. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

The pedi also said the same thing about jackson bc he wasnt losing weight or anything. I didnt breastfeed him so thats why we did the formula stuff. Also have you tried cutting out dairy etc from your diet to see if that helps her any? She could be sensitive to things in your diet
  6. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

I dealt with a true reflux baby and he screamed all of the time from the pain the acid caused. If she is not upset and just spitting up a lot, I honestly wouldn't give it to her. Oh and my son was on zantac, it did little for him and definitely did nothing for the spitting up.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IMakeLotsaBabies View Post
    I dealt with a true reflux baby and he screamed all of the time from the pain the acid caused. If she is not upset and just spitting up a lot, I honestly wouldn't give it to her. Oh and my son was on zantac, it did little for him and definitely did nothing for the spitting up.
    Same here. The zantac did absolutely nothing for our son. If she doesn't seem bothered by the spitting up, I probably wouldn't give it to her either.

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie;8090406[B
    ]My DS was a reflux baby and spit up all.the.time and aren't just talking here and there, we're talking about soaking through bibs and half of the front and back of his onesies/clothes He would literally spit up HANDFULLS of spit up Ick! Anyways he was on zantac and it never made any difference in the amount of spitting up. The only thing that DID was Enfamil A.R., it has rice cereal in it but the downfall was it made him terribly constipated! [/B]We never did find a middle ground. Even when he started solids he spit them up etc. He eventually out grew it a few weeks shy of his first birthday.

This exact thing, except with my DD! She was on the meds for a month or two but I took her off as she grew out of the reflux.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I should have multi-quoted but didn't see this. You don't have to quit BFing, if she is happy then I'd just doing everything you are doing now. Putting her on formula won't stop the spit up completely.

I BFed dd for 5 months and the last 1 1/2 months I had to supplement, the formula listed above did help but not enough to deal with her being constipated.
  10. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Heather LB. View Post
    Same here. The zantac did absolutely nothing for our son. If she doesn't seem bothered by the spitting up, I probably wouldn't give it to her either.
    My big reason is these meds have possible long term effects so I don't like giving them unless they are necessary. They also had my son on Reglan which is now part of a huge class action lawsuit.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast