Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't feel like I can do this.

1. Senior Member

Sad I don't feel like I can do this.

Advertisements
    Wish me luck! Better yet, tell me about your experiences if you have them. I should be asleep, but my mind is in overdrive and I couldn't quit watching the baby monitor.

I am returning to work today, in a few hours. My shift is 8:30AM-7:30PM, Wednesday through Saturday. I knew this day was coming. I thought I was mentally and emotionally prepared. She will be without both her parents (watched by my mom) just 2 days/week.

Yet, I felt very anxious when I thought about leaving her. I don't do well with taking things "one day at a time," and I found myself jumping back to wanting to be a SAHM or working only part-time until she's older and more independent. I don't have that option, but how can I avoid making myself miserable in the meantime?

Ugh.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    I am not a mommy, but I thought I would this for you by saying and giving you lots of

3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries

I still get worried when I leave dylan and he's over a year. It never really goes away. You just learn to control it.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Formerly BooBoo_Bear
    Formerly BooBoo_Bear
    I returned to work not even 4 weeks postpartum... which didn't make my doctor happy considering I had a c-section and he said I had to wait 6 weeks, but I needed to do it. My dad usually watched my son, along with my mom on weekends and nights, or sometimes his other grandma and the occasional friend.

I like to think that it's good for them. Not only is it major bonding time with grandma (my son is so close to my parents, and I love it), but it gets them used to spending time with other people. And that helps later on when they join preschool, kindergarten, etc. I think that my son (who is 7 now) is a better kid because he shared his time with more people than just me. (Oh and seriously.... when he was 2 and I started taking him to daycare instead of having my dad watch him all the time... best choice ever. It upped his social skills so much )
  5. Senior Member
    How did the first and second day go, OP?
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    The first day or two, or even week are the hardest. Once you see that your child is fine, all is fine. My kids have been in daycare a long time.. our oldest is 12 now, he started daycare at 3 and ended around 11, our youngest started at 6 weeks and is still there (he's 7).

I am not the SAHM type, I'd go stir crazy so I had to go to work to keep my sanity. I missed my kids dearly but in the end I was a better mother working and they were better children being around other kids and people.

All will be fine, give yourself a week or so. I think all working mothers struggle sending kids to daycare after 6-8 weeks.... it gets easier with subsequent children.
  7. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    I was even thinking about doing that & so maybe I am lucky that I can't work right now. But she will do great and you will also. She is with your mom- someone you know you can trust- so take a deep breath & dive right in.
  8. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I was extremely nervous leaving Kaia for even a few hours at first, but now she is 6 months old and it is MUCH MUCH easier.

I was told by so many people to not give in to the urge to be around her 24/7 and start leaving her for short periods of time when she is young so that it is easier when I have to leave her for longer periods later, and I am SO GLAD I listened to that advice now. Since I am pregnant again, and I know that in January I am going to be away from her overnight, I am already much more prepared than I would have been had I not started leaving her already. Adam and I were actually JUST talking about whether or not to leave Kaia with his parents overnight the first night I am in the hospital so he can stay there with me and help me with the new baby while I am still less than a day out from surgery. We decided to do a few overnight trial runs before the big day and see how it goes. I will probably be posting here about that when it happens!
  9. Missing my soldier.......
    Missing my soldier.......
    Blog Entries
    The first few days back to work are the hardest. My daughter was 6 weeks old to the day when I went back to work. Leaving my moms house was the hardest part. (it got easier when she pretty much shoved me out the door lol) I cried that first day, but it got easier. It is still hard to leave her sometimes. She stays at daycare during the day now, but the only place she has ever spent the night with out me there is my parents house. I promise it gets easier.
  10. Senior Member
    Okay, so I haven't been on because I have been SO sleepy when I got off work. I've been going to sleep around 9:30 or 10:00.

Anyway, it went well. Better than I thought. I live close enough to be able to go home for lunch. I nurse her, and get a minute or two to cuddle with her. It's only 1 hr. long.

It was nerve wrecking the first day though, especially. My mom ended up having to help my brother out-of-town at the last minute, and I ended up having to pick up my nearly blind dad to stand in for her. I worried about him being able to measure the bottles out (so I premade them) and cleaning her up completely at diaper changes. It turned out that he was good. FOR HER. He didn't watch TV, didn't sleep, didn't get on the computer......he didn't even eat. For 10 hours.

I fixed that the next day, though, and made sure he was taken care of also. Luckily, the first week was only 3 days, so I got a taste of what it will be like. Thanks for checking up on me, ladies!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast