Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What to do about Baptism (or other similiar religious ceremony)

1. It is what it is....
    It is what it is....

What to do about Baptism (or other similiar religious ceremony)

Advertisements
    What did you do when it came time for your child to have a Baptism, or other similiar religious ceremony, when the Godparents do not live where you live?

Our scenario:

We are in WA at Ft. Lewis. We are originally from WI, which is where the Godparents live. We are hoping to have a Baptism while we are back home in December, but not sure if the time frame will work with the church. If it cannot work out, is it possible to have a Baptism w/o having the Godparents present?

Just curious as to what other people have found for options.

I wasn't sure if this should be in this section or not, please feel free to move it if needed
  2. Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz
    Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz

Is them coming to you not an option?

I don't know as in my religion you aren't baptized until you go through classes and are of an age to decide you are ready to commit to the life of Christ.

I don't even have Godparents, but my siblings do.

As for the "what if something happens to me and the ex" scenerio, it's already drawn up in a legal document that my Mom get's custody of DS. Even if something happens to me, my Mom get's legal visitation after my ex assumes custody.
  3. It is what it is....
    It is what it is....
    Quote Originally Posted by Your_Anz View Post
    Is them coming to you not an option?

I don't know as in my religion you aren't baptized until you go through classes and are of an age to decide you are ready to commit to the life of Christ.

I don't even have Godparents, but my siblings do.

As for the "what if something happens to me and the ex" scenerio, it's already drawn up in a legal document that my Mom get's custody of DS. Even if something happens to me, my Mom get's legal visitation after my ex assumes custody.
    They would not be able to fly out here. My brother is in college and wouldn't be able to get the time off and DH's sister will have just had her baby and let's be honest..she won't shell out the plane fare....

As far if something happens to DH or I, the Godparents are not the ones who will get custody of him. Some people have the Godparents as their guardian, but typically now, Godparents are more of a Catholic tradition.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My kiddos will not be baptized until the age of 8 and that is only if THEY want to be. It is their choice not mine. Now my two did have blessings shortly after they were born and that was at Church and my entire family went.
  5. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

That is a good question. My best friend has yet to baptize her children because it is hard for us to both be some where at the same time. Her DH's job has them moving a lot from state to state and with me in the military it has been hard. One we were both home at the same time but it was so last minute that we couldn't schedule anything She doens't want to get them baptized until I can be there.
  6. Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz
    Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz

Quote Originally Posted by JSL8809 View Post
    They would not be able to fly out here. My brother is in college and wouldn't be able to get the time off and DH's sister will have just had her baby and let's be honest..she won't shell out the plane fare....

As far if something happens to DH or I, the Godparents are not the ones who will get custody of him. Some people have the Godparents as their guardian, but typically now, Godparents are more of a Catholic tradition.
    Well that sucks... I got nothin... Hopefully the church will be available!