Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scared to BF??

1. It is what it is....
    It is what it is....

Scared to BF??

Advertisements
    I feel sort of dumb for feeling this way, but I wanted to know if anyone else was scared to breastfeed?

I had a reduction done about 5 years ago and since then, my breasts/nipples have always been VERY sensitive, to the point they are painful at times. THe thought of breasfeeding has always scared me and to be honest I planned on formula feeding for this baby.

I was talking with my doctor today and I am starting to lean more towards breastfeeding. I am going to a class next month and he gave me some information to read up on.

Has anyone been scared to? Has anyone breastfed while in the hospital but then when you got home, you just switched to formula?

Please know that I understand that BF is good for the baby, I understand all the health benefits and I am not "embarassed" to breasfeed, just scared. I just would like to avoid the debate that comes with this topic, that is not what I am looking to get into for this post.

2. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I am a little worried about it, maybe not scared as much as nervous about the unknown.

All my mom has ever told me is that it will hurt but if you stick it out you get used to it.

I think it's normal to feel a little anxious about it but hang in there, you'll do great!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Breast Feeding isn't for everyone and honestly, that's OK! . I was nervous to BF as well. It's good you are taking the classes, I was expecting a Lactation Consultant in the hospital and she didn't come until 2hrs before I was discharged.

I did try in the hospital and DD was latching well, but wasn't getting ANYTHING. So after trying again when we got home, and we were already supplementing formula anyway, we decided to just go to formula.

and just know you are NOT horrible if you decide you just want to formula feed.
  4. It is what it is....
    It is what it is....
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySassyPants View Post
    Breast Feeding isn't for everyone and honestly, that's OK! . I was nervous to BF as well. It's good you are taking the classes, I was expecting a Lactation Consultant in the hospital and she didn't come until 2hrs before I was discharged.

I did try in the hospital and DD was latching well, but wasn't getting ANYTHING. So after trying again when we got home, and we were already supplementing formula anyway, we decided to just go to formula.

and just know you are NOT horrible if you decide you just want to formula feed.
    I am extremely worried that he will not be getting enough milk. I am a very nervous person to begin with and I know that being nervous/anxious will only hinder breasfeeding.

I know this shouldn't matter, but the doctors are very pushy with breastfeeding (I understand why) but it makes me feel uncomfortable when I say I am not sure yet what I want to do. I guess I can just try to do it at the hospital, where I have some help and see where it goes.

Too bad they can't come out eating normal food....
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JSL8809 View Post
    I am extremely worried that he will not be getting enough milk. I am a very nervous person to begin with and I know that being nervous/anxious will only hinder breasfeeding.

I know this shouldn't matter, but the doctors are very pushy with breastfeeding (I understand why) but it makes me feel uncomfortable when I say I am not sure yet what I want to do. I guess I can just try to do it at the hospital, where I have some help and see where it goes.

I hear you. And do NOT let anyone push you. Babies thrive off of formula as well. . I'd try in the hospital and at least then you'll know you tried.
  6. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    I was a little scared with ODS but for me it was really easy actually. I know people who have had reductions/implants and have gone on to successfully BF. It will likely hurt at first but once you stick with it things really do get so much easier. The biggest piece of advice I will give is to not be afraid to ask for help!
  7. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSL8809 View Post

You say this until you change your first real food diaper after BF diapers
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Breastfeeding my oldest daughter only lasted 6 weeks due to her reflux, but with my second daughter I was able to breastfeed her for 15 months. My biggest advice would just be to not give up if you really want to. Lanolin cream will help with the soreness and then after alittle bit you will be just fine. Try not to worry too much about them not getting much in the first few days. They really are getting enough, and then when your milk comes in you will really be surprised!
    Will you be going back to work or are you a stay at home mom? I never had to go back to work so I'm not sure how well it goes with pumping, but I know alot of women do it.
    I have found that weening my daughter from the bottle was alot easier than weening my youngest from breastfeeding. But I would say give it a try, and if it just isnt for you, than you can say you gave it a shot.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm a little scared as well. I'm all about breastfeeding and I REALLY want to do it, but the stories you hear about clogged ducts and torn nipples and mastitis are terrifying. So I signed up for a breastfeeding class in a couple of weeks, bought a La Leche League book about breastfeeding, found the La Leche League chapter near where I'm delivering, etc. Just try and educate yourself and get a support system of experienced women.

But breastfeeding ISN'T for every baby-- some babies have latch problems, some have medical conditions like CF, etc. So I'd say be willing to put in a lot of effort, but also be flexible and listen to your doctor if they say that formula-feeding will work for your baby instead. From what I hear, the first 3 weeks of breastfeeding can be tough, and then it improves from there. GL OP
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by princessgwynn View Post
    You say this until you change your first real food diaper after BF diapers
    Now this is something that scares me.

I was scared at first too. And it hurt like a bitch at first. I actually ended up using a shield because I was in so much pain. I ended up not going back and still use a shield. Probably will the rest of the time I nurse. I couldn't bring myself to quit, but it hurt and I was uncomfortable. The shield helps me nurse comfortably. A lot of consultants are against them for longer than a week or two due to "supply" but I've had zero issues. This is what works for us. You do what works for you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast