Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting frustrated...re BFing...again.

1. Senior Member

Sad Getting frustrated...re BFing...again.

Advertisements
    If I do what "they" want me to do, I will wake Michaela up every 2 hours at night to nurse, then I will pump for 10-15 minutes after nursing, then I will give her 1-2oz. of formula or BM (formula usually since I can't seem to get ahead). Depending on how long she nurses, this could take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour or more, which leaves me maybe an hour until the next round. I say at night to designate the beginning, but this is an all day, every feeding event.

It's been proven that I'm not producing enough, and it's for all sorts of reasons. She started off with formula/bottles due to the postpartum hemorrhaging. If I felt weak or tired, they wouldn't insist on my BFing. Then I had to have a D&C nine days later, and she got formula while I was in the hospital overnight again. She gets a pacifier because she will pretty much suck on anything you put in her mouth. She's been STTN from birth, so I wouldn't wake her. Well, until recently. Now, she sleeps about 4 hours between feedings at night. Visiting my parents is like visiting the black hole of time, so it wasn't uncommon for me to wait 4-5 hours between feedings when she was younger. Then, last Friday, I had gallbladder surgery and, once again, she got only formula. I pumped and dumped, but the pump wasn't like a nursing session. Now, it's because we're still having shallow latch issues, and there are times I can't bear the thought of subjecting my already sore nipples to the pump afterwards. We've been supplementing the 1-2oz. of formula after nursing for just over a week now b/c I don't want her to lose the weight she's gained. I realize that this is all detrimental to my supply, but I can't see it being in her best interest to go from 4-6oz/feeding down to my measly 2oz, which she was not gaining enough on.

I'm taking fenugreek and blessed thistle, per my LC, for 4 days now. The instructions she printed off and sent me home with indicate that if it's going to work, it will within 12-24 hours. I thought I had noticed some difference, but I'm still only producing about an ounce per hour. I feel guilty and sad. And it follows me around constantly that I return to work in 3 weeks...full time, 10 hrs/day, and an already low supply is going to suffer more. I need some ideas, some tips, some support....something.
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries

Your body might not just responed well to pumping. Some women no matter what just don't pump well.
    Your taking the right supplements and doing what you can. Eatyour oatmeal as much as you can. Maybe just focus on enjoying bf (even if you have to supplement) for the next three weeks till you return to work. Continue pumping what you can. Some bm is better then none! If you have to supplement it's ok!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Caimbrie said yesterday on my FB pic that she responds much better to more mothers milk, or something like that. You can get it off amazon. Also, don't gauge how much you're making via pump, you may not be a pumper (i'm not this time around it seems) and your baby is much more efficient than the pump. Just feed her on the breast as much as you can. And don't worry, FF is NOT the end of the world, your baby will be just as happy and healthy as BF.
  4. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    I'm so sorry, I don't know much about low supply other than what you're already trying. You have absolutely no reason to feel guilty though--you are trying SO hard, and you have had some pretty major bumps in the road (post-partum hemorrhage and surgery!!). Honestly I'm not sure how important the pumping is (unless you're using it to supplement). I think I would just focus on having her at the breast as much as possible (at least every 2 hours... possibly 2-3 hours at night) and work on her LATCH during that time. I know it will seem like you're constantly nursing during the day, but that might help. Also make sure YOU are eating PLENTY and drinking a lot of water. Maybe just try the pumping a few times a day? I would make sure she is nursing some at night so that you're not going too long at night without some stimulation to your breasts. (I understand this would mean you'd have to supplement with formula still, so the not pumping so much depends on how you feel about that... the way I see it is you're working toward increasing your supply!) Normally I'd be telling someone to cut out the formula and keep baby at the breast, but I understand that you are already having her nurse and then supplementing after.

Try not to think too far ahead to when you go back to work. Just focus on the here and now. Cross that bridge when you come to it.

BIG hugs to you. Have you met with the lactation consultant in person?? I imagine you have, due to latch issues, etc. I hope that the stimulation and fenugreek starts working for you VERY soon!

I THINK Lux... gosh, I don't know what the rest of her username is now or if it's just "Lux" LOL has some experience with this, so maybe she'll chime in!
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  5. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Just to add.. I know it's not Traditional Medicinals "Mother's Milk" tea that Caimbrie and Lux have suggested but I'm TOTALLY blanking on the name of it! I'll try to see if I can find it...
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  6. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Ok I what Jamie is talking about might be More Milk Plus....

Amazon.com: Motherlove Herbal Company More Milk 2 oz liquid (Motherlove): Health & Personal Care

But I'm not entirely sure!
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I'm taking a different approach. Why not just stop BF? Stress reduces the milk supply (at least that's what I've been told), you stressing over not producing enough could be affecting not only your supply but your way of life. It sounds like you really want to BF, but maybe just foregoing it and just letting her drink formula is what you need. All this stress and worry about it is taking time away from enjoying your baby and such these next few weeks until you go back to work. She got the colostrum and other nutrients in this short time.

BF isn't for everyone, and not everyone does it for a long time. I tried it, for my oldest, after a week of only getting colustrum and maybe an ounce we decided it wasn't worth him going hungry and me stressing to the point of crying. With our youngest, same thing. I tried it, and after so much time I never produced enough so I just decided the stress wasn't worth it.
  8. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Ok, totally just FB stalked Jamie (please don't delete me LOL) and I see that Caimbrie said the liquid tastes gross, so buy the capsules LOL... those are here:

Amazon.com: Motherlove Herbal Company More Milk Plus 120 capsules: Health & Personal Care
  9. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

yeah, sorry, i get the name confused alot
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I can only ever pump about 2 or 3 oz at a time. When I went to Anabelle's 2 month well baby today and the dr said it was a sign of a good milk supply...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast