Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painkillers + BFing?

1. Senior Member

Question Painkillers + BFing?

Advertisements
    Simply put, I'm asking if I can safely mix the two. Especially since I already have...

Lil' background:
    I recently posted that Michaela isn't gaining well, and that we're considering it a supply issue. The OB wants me to BF her, wait 10 minutes, then offer her 1-2oz of formula or BM to supplement. LC wants me to pump for 10-15 minutes after nursing, even if nothing is coming out, to stimulate production.

I had to have my gallbladder taken out today. I was told to "pump and dump" for 12-24 hours due to the painkillers I would be prescribed (percocet). I realize this isn't a long time, but I was also told that the real pain would come around day 2 or 3 when the CO2 gas seeks it's escape. I have been following orders, but it's critical that I BF her right now. I don't have stored BM, so she's been getting ~4oz. of formula per feeding since 11AM yesterday. I don't want to do this!

As for mixing the two already, I was given percocet in the hospital when I had all those darned complications after delivery and after the D&C. They knew I was BFing, and I specifically asked about it, too. They told me it was safe.

The conflicting information is confusing, and a tad concerning. My own "Google it" research indicates moderate usage of percocet while BFing is safe. If it matters, the dosage is 10mg.
  2. Moderator

Hmmm. A few thoughts on this. I personally am comfortable with BFing while on percs, some people are not. I believe there's not much concrete info out there. I do feel that it makes baby more drowsy. On another note- for me, the pain meds did nothing for the gas pain, so if you're doing ok with the actual surgical pain but the gas is still bothering you, the Rx drugs may not be particularly helpful anymore. I'm curious though- is the pump and dumping for 12-24 because of the post-op pain meds, or the general anesthesia?

I'm sorry you had to have surgery so quick after the bebe came, it's so frustrating to have so many things going on at once. I hope you feel better soon!
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I was givin vidcon and bf
    I would take the pills and then bf right away. That way she gets less amount since it hasn't entered her system yet.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    I was breast feeding while on percocet after my c-section. They told me it was safe, and it never really occurred to me otherwise. I didn't really have a choice if I wanted to breast feed, I guess as that pain was too much to tolerate without it. I did switch to Ibuprophen as soon as I could tolerate it though.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    Hmmm. A few thoughts on this. I personally am comfortable with BFing while on percs, some people are not. I believe there's not much concrete info out there. I do feel that it makes baby more drowsy. On another note- for me, the pain meds did nothing for the gas pain, so if you're doing ok with the actual surgical pain but the gas is still bothering you, the Rx drugs may not be particularly helpful anymore. I'm curious though- is the pump and dumping for 12-24 because of the post-op pain meds, or the general anesthesia?

I'm sorry you had to have surgery so quick after the bebe came, it's so frustrating to have so many things going on at once. I hope you feel better soon!
    Good point. I'm not 100% sure, but they all talked about the pain meds when all 10-ish nurses/techs reminded me not to BF. Have you had your gallbladder removed, too?
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveChildOfDudi View Post
    I was givin vidcon and bf
    I would take the pills and then bf right away. That way she gets less amount since it hasn't entered her system yet.
    Good idea. The percocet doesn't seem to be working anyway. It makes me sleepy for all of maybe 20 minutes, and dulls the abdominal pain but doesn't do away with it.
  7. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NocturneSiren View Post
    Good point. I'm not 100% sure, but they all talked about the pain meds when all 10-ish nurses/techs reminded me not to BF. Have you had your gallbladder removed, too?
    Yep! The pain meds were great for the actual incision pain and such, but I didn't find them useful at all when it was the gas that was bothering me (which it did, more than the incisions). What I found most helpful for the gas pain was to lie down for a while, then go for a walk, then lie down for a while again, just to keep it moving so that it didn't settle in any nerve clusters or joints.

Personally, I wouldn't have any problem nursing while taking percoset. 10 mg is double the dose they give me post C-section- is it two 5mg pills? If so, maybe you could try taking just one to help with pain but minimize the amount that crosses your milk, or taking one, nursing, and then taking the other? If you can tolerate the pain, of course! Gallbladders suck. We really should just upgrade the human model to come without them.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    Yep! The pain meds were great for the actual incision pain and such, but I didn't find them useful at all when it was the gas that was bothering me (which it did, more than the incisions). What I found most helpful for the gas pain was to lie down for a while, then go for a walk, then lie down for a while again, just to keep it moving so that it didn't settle in any nerve clusters or joints.

Personally, I wouldn't have any problem nursing while taking percoset. 10 mg is double the dose they give me post C-section- is it two 5mg pills? If so, maybe you could try taking just one to help with pain but minimize the amount that crosses your milk, or taking one, nursing, and then taking the other? If you can tolerate the pain, of course! Gallbladders suck. We really should just upgrade the human model to come without them.
    I guess it is useful then because I haven't felt any incision pain, that I know of. One of my more chatty nurses told me the same thing about the gas pains being worse than the actual incisions. The surgeon did not give me any instructions/tips about dealing with it. In fact, he didn't mention the details of the surgery at all. Bleh.

Oh, and it's 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours. Bottle says 10mg/325mg tablets. So, not 5mg.
  9. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NocturneSiren View Post
    I guess it is useful then because I haven't felt any incision pain, that I know of. One of my more chatty nurses told me the same thing about the gas pains being worse than the actual incisions. The surgeon did not give me any instructions/tips about dealing with it. In fact, he didn't mention the details of the surgery at all. Bleh.

Oh, and it's 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours. Bottle says 10mg/325mg tablets. So, not 5mg.
    They gave you superpercoset! I hate it when surgeons aren't informative. Oh well, post-C-section they gave me 5mg/500mg, 1-2 every 4-6, and nursing was fine. I think if you're comfortable with it, you should be ok. I hope she starts gaining weight for you soon!
  10. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Could you call an LC or something?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast