Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to read the baby books?

1. Senior Member

Do I need to read the baby books?

Advertisements
    Okay, I am having a MAJOR case of baby denial going on. I have 6-8 weeks left and really haven't read ANY baby books that pertain to caring for a newborn or getting them on any kind of a schedule, interpreting their behavior, etc.

So, I guess I'm wondering if I need to get crackin' and start reading some books or if I can just let instinct take over and enjoy the few weeks I have left to read my Harry Potter books and other mindless non baby stuff?

I have these books in my possession currently:

1. Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
    2. The Happiest Baby on the Block
    3. The Baby Whisperer

Did you guys read a bunch of books before baby's arrival? Any recommended reading? Can I just wing it?
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    i've heard great things about the happiest baby on the block book. Maybe just skim over it for the time being?
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I don't plan on reading any books I'm just going to do what comes naturally and if I need advice or have questions I have my family, his family and my best friend who has a 19 month old

4. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    I would. But I'm a read-everything-you-can-get kind of girl. Also...keep in mind that while baby caring is slightly instinctual (feed it.) the rest of it during our "follow our instinct" times were handed down by our mothers & grandmothers. They taught us how to be moms. Unless you've got someone to do that, I dont know if instinct and parenting are really gonna go together.

I just know that a lot of what they teach in those books, like scheduling, makes life a whole lot easier.
  5. Senior Member
    I'm really not sure if I'll be reading any baby books when our bean comes along. I'll be at home with my parents for the first 4 months of his/her life, so I know my mom will be a huge help to me. But I may just pick one up anyways, if someone could give me one that's, like, absolutely important to read.
  6. Senior Member
    I bought " what to expect when your expecting " when I first got pregnant ( and then got it for free at bundles for babies ) but i found that mostly helpful in the begining
  7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Uh, I didn't read any of that. We learned the essentials in the hospital (like how much she should poop, pee, etc) and we let her decide what schedule she was going to be on. There is no forcing newborns.
  8. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Im such a nerd. I'm all YOU DIDN'T READ THE BABY BOOKS?!?!

I pretty much don't do anything without reading about it first.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalloskitty View Post
    I bought " what to expect when your expecting " when I first got pregnant ( and then got it for free at bundles for babies ) but i found that mostly helpful in the begining
    Yeah, I've heard some people like that book. I won't touch it, because my midwife said it's so negative and scares a lot of people...so I have just avoided it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sindorella View Post
    Uh, I didn't read any of that. We learned the essentials in the hospital (like how much she should poop, pee, etc) and we let her decide what schedule she was going to be on. There is no forcing newborns.
    That's kind of what I was hoping to do - but I am totally honest when I say I have NO EXPERIENCE with babies. My husband has a son and has been through all of this before, so I am hoping he can clue me in.

Quote Originally Posted by oohrah_baby View Post
    Im such a nerd. I'm all YOU DIDN'T READ THE BABY BOOKS?!?!
    Reminds me of the scene in "Knocked Up"...
  10. Senior Member
    My first thought was that scene from Knocked Up!

I read the Baby Whisperer, it helped a lot. I got it from my in-laws when I gave birth to DS. So no worries on reading everything right now.

Life is a great big canvas, throw all the paint you can at it~ Danny Kaye
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast