Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concerned about her weight gain.

1. Senior Member

Neutral Concerned about her weight gain. *Update in OP*

Advertisements
    Michaela was 8 lb. 5 oz at birth. At her first weigh in, she was 7 lb. 13 oz. (when she was around 1w old). At the next weigh in one week later, she was at 8 lb. 1 oz. Her ped was happy with her rate of gain.

At her 1 month appointment, she was 8 lb. 5 oz. Her rate of gain had slowed considerably, and everything I've read indicates she should have been back at birth weight within 10-14 days of birth. Her ped indicated that he wasn't terribly worried since she was still gaining, and seems to be taking a slim/petite body form.

She has another weigh in tomorrow, and I'm worried. She nurses every 2-3 hours, and from pump sessions, it seems that she's getting anywhere from 2 oz -4 oz each time. She does STTN, but has been for a month or more.

I just don't want to get pushed to supplement, or even labeled "failure to thrive."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

We both had appointments yesterday. She weighed 8lb., 7oz. for the doctor, and 8lb., 12oz. for the LC I met with afterward. Her doctor dismissed the gain as being negligible, despite her being healthy, happy, and meeting the requirements as far as diaper counts. I was told that she should be getting 3-5oz per feeding, and that we're going to treat it as a supply issue for now. He wants me to try to increase my supply, but feed her 1-2oz of formula after she nurses. So far, she has taken a full 2oz. after each feeding.

I'm eating oatmeal each morning, and I am looking into fenugreek or some other boost. Per my LC, Michaela has a great latch, but there were some rookie errors I was making that caused my sore nipple issues. She suggested that I take blessed thistle and fenugreek together for a few days, and pump after each nursing session for 10-15 minutes to boost supply. I'm trying, but it hurts.

To top it off, I'm having my gallbladder removed tomorrow. I was just informed that I won't be able to BF for 24 hours.

Last edited by NocturneSiren; 07-07-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added update.
  2. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    If she is within the normal parameters, there is nothing to worry about. And if there is a concern, it's not YOUR failure, no matter what. If she needs supplemental nutrition, so be it. If she (were older, of course) and had the flu and your home-made chicken soup wasn't making her better, you would get her medicine, right? Same difference.

Again, this is NOT a failure nor is it YOUR failure. It just is what it is.
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Just remember breast milk does have higher calore then formula. Maybe try to nurse a little closer together (which sucks I know!) and I've heard of being able to fatten up your milk a little!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Don't sweat it so much hun. Unless she continually doesn't gain/falls off the charts then there is little need to worry. My niece did the same thing and at 2 1/2 is still only in the 5% on weight but she is a perfectly happy, healthy little hellion. Her pedi pushed my SIL to supplement but she choose not to because, this being her third child, she trusted her own instincts & body more then the doctors who seem to still be pro-formula for the most part. Trust yourself & if you really think you need to do that discuss how to combine the two, if you want to continue BFing. And you are NOT a failure!
  5. Banned
    Banned
    the biggest thing is she is not losing- remember babies grow differrently- one baby at 6 weeks will have gained 2-3 lbs another only a few oz.

the doctor will care more on her feeding schedule and ensuring she is feeding long enough- at least 15-20 minutes each side.

at 6 weeks should consistantly be getting 2-4 oz at each feeding- some will be more or longer some less- just depends on how hungry she is.

I would agree that there is not much to be worried about!!
  6. I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    It took my yds over a month to get back to birth weight...now he's thriving...just some kids go on their own weight curve...as long as they are growing at a pace and are eating w/o other issues going on the doc's are happy... momma!
  7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Your Ped should be more worried about the curve she is growing on and not the exact amount. I worry about Kaia (for a different reason, she is almost 6 months and like 20 lbs) but her doctor has been very reassuring that the amount of weight she gains doesn't matter as much as the fact that she is progressing and following a growth curve with her weight and height. It's different for every baby. She will go through her own spurts and grow at different rates. If she isn't acting like she isn't getting enough all the time, or having any problems otherwise, I bet she is fine!

8. Senior Member
    What is her diaper count? As long as she has 6 wet diapers a day she is getting enough food. Your baby sucks better then a pump so it is hard to measure. Best way is to strip her naked before nursing and weigh her, nurse and then weigh her after. Also are you feeding of one breast only at nursing? If not maybe try and do that so she will get to the fatter milk. Unless you have an oversupply don't nurse several times in a row on one breast since it can decrease supply. cafemom has an awesome breastfeeding group and Kellymom has excellent resources.
  9. blah blah BLAH
    blah blah BLAH
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindorella View Post
    Your Ped should be more worried about the curve she is growing on and not the exact amount. I worry about Kaia (for a different reason, she is almost 6 months and like 20 lbs) but her doctor has been very reassuring that the amount of weight she gains doesn't matter as much as the fact that she is progressing and following a growth curve with her weight and height. It's different for every baby. She will go through her own spurts and grow at different rates. If she isn't acting like she isn't getting enough all the time, or having any problems otherwise, I bet she is fine!
    *miles mean NOTHING when you are in love, and love means EVERYTHING when you are miles apart*

10. Senior Member
    Conner lost 13 oz. at birth- he didn't regain that till about 2.5-3 weeks. Now he weighs more than 97% of babies his age.

I'd try to nurse more if you're nervous and make sure she is spending as long as she wants on one breast before moving to the next (the fatty hindmilk comes out second).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast