Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: how do i know if i have postpartum depression

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

how do i know if i have postpartum depression

Advertisements
    my husband went out on a year long deployment (our first deployment) 3 weeks before i was due with our second baby. I am by myself all the time with my two year old and my now 3 month old so i dont know if im just depressed because of my circumstances or if its more because i've never felt this depressed before.
    I didnt start feeling any different till i was 7 weeks postpartum. My problem is i was feeling just fine before then so i passed up my 6 week pp check up and then at 7 weeks pp something changed and i honestly feel like i'm going crazy sometimes. but i dont know if i talk to my ob gyn if maybe he will not listen to me since i didnt come in at my 6 week appt. And i moved from one state to the other right after my husband deployed so i only saw him twice before i had my baby and i dont know him that well. i dont know if i'm supposed to ask him or another doctor but i dont have a personal dr here, or anywhere, i always just end up seeing who ever is available and its usually never the same person twice. i dont know who to talk to about it.
    i dont want to tell my husband, it will just give him more to worry about, but i feel like i cant cope.
    but NO ONE seems to notice that i feel so bad. is it possible that i'm just that good at covering how i really feel, or is it all in my head? it seems that SOMEONE would have noticed by now that something is not right with me.
    I'm a good mother to my kids and i dont have thoughts of harming them but my heart is not in it right now and i literally stay up almost all night not wanting to sleep because i dread waking up the next day. i cry for no reason. I feel angry, nervous, irritable, depressed, i've never felt this bad before. if i ever had a bad night before i always felt better in the morning but not now.
    then sometimes i'll have a day where i feel normal and i think it must have been all in my head but it keeps coming back.
    what should i do??
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Sometimes it takes a while to set in. There is that time after you have a baby when your hormones are surging and it is like Euphoria. Then your body levels out and reality hits. I would go ahead and make an appointment to see your doctor.
  3. Moderator

If you feel like you might have it, talk to your doctor about it! There's no reason for you to go on feeling that unhappy, even if it's only some of the time. They will listen to you, and if they don't, file a complaint and ask to see someone else. It's a serious thing, and they should help you.
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Welcome to MSOS, please introduce yourself in the newbies section when you get a chance.

If you have any questions on how you feel, don't feel "right" or anything, please go and see your a dr (it doesn't have to be an obgyn, though you should have gone to that appt), they will be able to refer you to the right people. A lot of people who are depressed do not show it, they act like they normally do, but inside, they just want to collapse. Also, Military OneSource has councilors if you feel you need to talk to someone, as well as ample literature and more on parenting, deployments, etc.

5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    thank you....i guess i can call him sometime
  6. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by herewithoutyou View Post
    thank you....i guess i can call him sometime
    Please call soon. You shouldn't have to feel this way. They won't refuse to help you because you missed an appointment.
  7. blah blah BLAH
    blah blah BLAH
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    Please call soon. You shouldn't have to feel this way. They won't refuse to help you because you missed an appointment.

For yourself, and for your family, call your doctor. There is no shame in asking for help, and the fact that you have enough self awareness to say "this isn't right" means you have a good head on your shoulders, and you can overcome the difficulties you are experiencing. You just have to take that first step to get the issues addressed and get yourself help. Good luck
    *miles mean NOTHING when you are in love, and love means EVERYTHING when you are miles apart*