Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hungry babies!

1. Love you with all my heart!
    Love you with all my heart!
    Blog Entries

Hungry babies!

Advertisements
    What was your timeline for foods like rice cereal, veggies and then meats?

Did you follow what the ped recommended, why or why not?
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    4 months is the earliest starting date. And the food is more for practice then nourishment.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. blah blah BLAH
    blah blah BLAH
    I followed what the pediatrician said.

At 3 months he recommended I put a little rice cereal in Kenley's nighttime bottle.. and, when I felt she was ready, try mixing up a little bit with formula and practice spoon feeding. So that occurred probably the last week of the month.

At 4 months he wanted me to start giving her (stage 1) fruits (bananas, apples, pears)

At 5 months, we introduced (stage 1) vegetables, at his recommendation (peas, green beans, squash, sweet potatoes)

She's doing wonderfully so far, so I'm sticking with what the pediatrician says
    *miles mean NOTHING when you are in love, and love means EVERYTHING when you are miles apart*

4. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    I BF so didn't even attempt solids til 6 months. Then found out DD is partially tongue tied..she was gagging on everything and couldn't swallow...she still doesn't eat a LOT of solids and she is 16MO, but her molars are coming in and she's starting to ask for more solids so yeah.

It differs for each child and also there is a big difference if you bottle or BF. DD could swallow the meats better than she could the fruits or veggies and so ate more of those, she never ate the cereal...and she is a VERY healthy baby girl!
  5. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    I follow the 4-6 month rule. Because of the reflux our ped said we could try a bit of cereal if we wanted, but I opted against that, as their digestive systems just aren't ready for it. Not to mention cereal is just kind of empty as far as nutrients go. Breast milk and formula are far more nutrient and calorie dense than cereal so giving cereal because a baby doesn't seem full doesn't really make logical sense LOL. I started with rice cereal with my first two kids around 4 and 5 months. I will likely start with a fruit or veggie or something like sweet potato this time around. Hoping to puree some of my own this time which I didn't do with the first two.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  6. Senior Member
    We started rice cereal (but she hated it!) at 4 months. She is now eating (has been for a week) oatmeal and banana (it's by Gerber). The pedi said if she doesn't seem satisified when can try the vegetables and fruits (stage 1) when we feel comfortable if not we'll talk about it at her 6 month check up.

If I remember right Faith is barely a month old right? I definitely wouldn't give her anything but formula unless it's advised by her pedi.
  7. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Both my boys started on solids around 4 1/2 months. The pedi we were seeing with ODS said he should start at 6 months but it was very evident that he was ready before that. The pedi we see now said to go with his (YDS) cues and that is what we did. I started them on the cereals just because they are very unlikely to cause allergies and the first other food for both was avocado- incidentally something that there are no known allergies to. So I sort of followed the pedi but mostly followed the cues of the boys- they are ready when they are ready, not before, not after.

Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    I follow the 4-6 month rule. Because of the reflux our ped said we could try a bit of cereal if we wanted, but I opted against that, as their digestive systems just aren't ready for it. Not to mention cereal is just kind of empty as far as nutrients go. Breast milk and formula are far more nutrient and calorie dense than cereal so giving cereal because a baby doesn't seem full doesn't really make logical sense LOL. I started with rice cereal with my first two kids around 4 and 5 months. I will likely start with a fruit or veggie or something like sweet potato this time around. Hoping to puree some of my own this time which I didn't do with the first two.
    Another mommy on the baby food making bandwagon If you have any questions I am doing it for baby 2 at this point & my PM box is always open!
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We are just going to go by Asher's cues. It is just for practice anyway, main form of nutrition should be milk until 12 months, so if the baby seems unsatisfied then more milk is what they need!
  9. Senior Member
    Neither of my kids really took solids until 6 months. We tried starting at 4 months with rice cereal and stage 1's. Both were never big baby food eaters and preferred table food early on.
  10. Love you with all my heart!
    Love you with all my heart!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by princessgwynn View Post
    Both my boys started on solids around 4 1/2 months. The pedi we were seeing with ODS said he should start at 6 months but it was very evident that he was ready before that. The pedi we see now said to go with his (YDS) cues and that is what we did. I started them on the cereals just because they are very unlikely to cause allergies and the first other food for both was avocado- incidentally something that there are no known allergies to. So I sort of followed the pedi but mostly followed the cues of the boys- they are ready when they are ready, not before, not after.

Another mommy on the baby food making bandwagon If you have any questions I am doing it for baby 2 at this point & my PM box is always open!
    I would love some general info on making your own food too if you have any good advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast