Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: breastfeeding help!! i'm so upset!!

1. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Question breastfeeding help!! i'm so upset!!

Advertisements
    Ansley ate fine all night and at her 8am feeding. I got her at 11am, a little after, and fed her, which she ate and then started fussing so i gave her a paci and set her back down by DH thinking she just wanted to suckle. Well she cried and cried so I went and got her again and tried feeding her, she ate some more but fussed so i kept at it until she just fussed and fussed. So i finished getting ready and changed her and we went on our way to the store where she slept most of the time. Came home and nursed her and she was okay but then fussed on/off afterwards, had another feed where she was okay as well, and she fussed for a few mins and i swaddled her and she took a little nap while i ate dinner (now i will say i did not have breakfast or lunch today. I slept in, got up, went to the store, came home and it was 3pm and we started dinner at 5 so i have a fiber one bar and then a granola bar or 2.. cant remember, with water).. anyways, she slept thru dinner and kids' bath and then comes 8pm and shes hungry so i nurse her.. she eats, then spits up and it all went down hill from there. She was screaming when she would unlatch, fuss when latched on... i tried burping etc. Gave her bath, tried skin to skin and NOTHING worked. So DH gave her a bottle of formula and now she is as happy as can be I sat here and pumped almost an oz, if that, of BM while crying. I'm so upset. I feel like a failure. I am NOT ready to give up yet. I'm going to have DH look for fenugreek and more mothers milk or w/e it's called here on base at the GNC store (i dunno where else to look? we're in a small town so not alot of options and i cant buy anything offline as we are about to move to WA and the movers come fri.) and see if they have any. I'm so scared I wont be able to BF anymore

*Update* shes still fussing on/off at random intervals.. I dont know what's going on!!! I was only able to pump almost an oz, if that, from both sides.

Oh and yes i will most def b/f first and only supplement if i absolutely 100% have to.
  2. One Day At A Time...
    One Day At A Time...
    If you can't find what you need there, let me know. I know where I can pick it up here, and I could overnight it to you.

I have no suggestions because I haven't been there yet.. but .
  3. Senior Member

fenugreek worked wonders for me! I got the gnc brand. they may also have it at walmart. you can also try oatmeal. that helps with supply. make sure you are eating all your meals and snacking throughout the day. drink tons of water. try to get as much rest as possible also.

while I was pumping for DS in the NICU I had to power pump every once in a while to up my supply. pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10, etc. for about an hour. make sure you are drinking water while doing this too.
  4. Senior Member
    Hang in there hun, you will get it figured out. Your not a failure. I had some simular issues with my yds. Just hang in there and dont give up.
  5. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    I really think you need to eat more. You need to seriously up your calorie intake by any means necessary. You can't feed a baby if you're not feeding yourself.

That's my not mom advice learned from my very awesome mom. She says eat more.
  6. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by oohrah_baby View Post
    I really think you need to eat more. You need to seriously up your calorie intake by any means necessary. You can't feed a baby if you're not feeding yourself.

That's my not mom advice learned from my very awesome mom. She says eat more.
    I do normally eat alot, just today i didn't bc i was on the go from the time i woke up until i got home.
  7. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by KaylaH View Post
    If you can't find what you need there, let me know. I know where I can pick it up here, and I could overnight it to you.

I have no suggestions because I haven't been there yet.. but .

thank you!
  8. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Two things about pumping: 1. What you pump is not an indication of what baby is getting. Some women can produce well with a pump and some can't. 2. If I'm upset or stressed or feeling pressured while pumping, I can't pump anything!! I have always only been able to get a fair amount pumping if I'm very relaxed and at ease.

Also, there's a growth spurt around this age, so that may be why she is more fussy and seeming unsatisfied.

Hang in there, mama!!
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  9. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    How old is your baby? My dd was the same until she was about 2-3wks old, basically until all the colostrum is out and lots of bmilk came out.

You said, you give your baby a pacifier, maybe he/she's been getting too used to the paci and just wants a rubber nipple to suck on while eating. Maybe you can try not to give her a bottle or pacifier and see how it goes. OR maybe you're not producing enough milk, you can try and buy the little tube that you tape to your nipple so your baby will get both bmilk and formula while you're bfeeding. Thats what I had to do the first 2 wks because my dd was cranky all day and I guess she was just really hungry. When I finally hooked up the tube, she went to sleep so peacefully.

You can also pump everytime after feeding so you will produce more. You should keep up with it, its sooo worth it. I bfed for 12 mons and I'm glad I did. =)
  10. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Beth, my pump just sucks. I've never been able to get more than an oz or so from both sides
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast