Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Soft spot and hydration.

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Soft spot and hydration.

Advertisements
    I have heard that if the baby's soft spot is dented in that means they are dehydrated. DS's has been like that a lot lately. He hasn't been eating well since he had his shots on Monday. He just doesn't feel good. Should I try to give him some water or something?
  2. Senior Member
    Babies do not need any water. It fills them up and keeps them from eating as much milk that they need. If you're concerned, BF more or FF a bit more. I wouldn't be concerned if there's enough wet diapers and it's clear.
    I've never heard this about the soft spot though.
    Cooking with Mrs Sea Monster | My Ramblings
    Mommy to Aiden (Nov 2010) and Zoe (VBAC Nov 2012)
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayssmile View Post
    Babies do not need any water. It fills them up and keeps them from eating as much milk that they need. If you're concerned, BF more or FF a bit more. I wouldn't be concerned if there's enough wet diapers and it's clear.
    I've never heard this about the soft spot though.
    Correct

My dr said a recessed fontanelle is EXTREME dehydration, as long as the urine isnt a dark yellow, baby is fine

4. Moderator

If he's peeing regularly, he's probably not dehydrated. If he's not, coupled with a sunken soft spot, doctortime ASAP. Does he have any fever from the vax?
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    If he's peeing regularly, he's probably not dehydrated. If he's not, coupled with a sunken soft spot, doctortime ASAP. Does he have any fever from the vax?
    He doesn't have a fever. He is still peeing plenty. It doesn't even stay dented all the time. Maybe it is just a baby thing.
  6. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Katarianna View Post
    He doesn't have a fever. He is still peeing plenty. It doesn't even stay dented all the time. Maybe it is just a baby thing.
    Yeah I'd say he's probably ok then. Usually it's a combination of symptoms that you need to worry about, and dehydration almost always first manifests with less urination.
  7. Senior Member
    I was told as long as a babies eyes do not look sunk in and they still have a moist mouth you also don't have to worry about dehydration.

Addison's soft spot is sunk in everytime she is sitting up or playing (anything other than laying down). Her pedi said that it's completely normal and is caused by a difference in pressure on the soft spot.
  8. Senior Member
    Sunken fontanelles are caused by dehydration, but as long as there are wet diapers, I wouldn't worry too much! I've seen babies' fontanelles change when they're crying, with position changes, etc. But if you're worried, ask at your next checkup!