Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for cloth diapers - fluff opinions

1. Senior Member

Shopping for cloth diapers - fluff opinions

Advertisements
    I want to add a bit more variety to my current fluff stash that I have. I don't want to buy too many diapers of any one style (I kinda already made that mistake with the BG 4.0...), in case we don't like something. I really don't "intend" on doing prefolds long term - just until baby can fit into the pockets nicely. I also don't want to invest in a bunch of sized diapers.

This is what I have currently:

2 dozen new Indian cotton prefolds (size small/infant)... plus another dozen or so hand me down prefolds that are slightly stained
    5 infant/small covers - Bummis, Thirsties, etc to go with prefolds
    3 snappis
    12 Bum Genius 4.0 One size pockets- ALL snaps
    2 KaWaii velcro one size pockets (haven't arrived yet)

I am considering adding some of these to our stash and would like opinions.

1. Rumparooz One Sized Pockets in Velcro
    2. Bum Genius Elemental Organic All In Ones (probably velcro, maybe snaps?)
    3. Bum Genius 4.0 pockets in Velcro?
    4. ...and I am thinking about trying out a couple of these off brand diapers from the website "Cloth By Tel" here, since they are only $8 and have decent reviews
    Solid Colour Diapers - Cloth By Tel

Any other suggestions for one sized diapers that I should try? I was thinking I should grab some velcro for maybe night time changing, babysitters, etc. Seems like they would be a bit easier to manage in the dark or if you've never done cloth before.
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I know that the velcro isn't popular with a lot of people because it can stick to things and it can wear out over time, but I LOVE my BG 4.0s with velcro. LOVE. With velcro I get a much better fit and they are just so freakin EASY. ALL of the velcro ones I have I bought second hand off of a friend who used them for over 6 months with her daughter and when I got them the velcro was only curling a little bit in the corner and is still in great condition. If you take care of the velcro, it will last just fine IMO!

The elementals I am not as fond of because they are kind of a PITA to clean when they get poopy. Because they are one size and all in one, the insert is sewn in. The way they do it is by sewing a few layers of an insert into the diaper but it isn't covered with anything, it's basically free floating and just sewn on the ends so that it can fold down and then expand back out depending on how far you have the diaper snapped down. So, when Kaia poops in that diaper the poop tends to kind of get in every nook and cranny. Makes it grosser IMO. I am also not as fond of the leg gussets, they roll out a little and you have to roll them back in to keep the inner lining from poking out. I like them okay, but they are not my favorite.

Otherwise I have never used Rumparooz or Cloth by Tel. I have used Alva Baby and Sunbaby and I really like both of them, especially considering how cheap they are. The Sunbaby diapers look to run a little smaller (Kaia is already on the biggest setting but not the biggest snap yet) but they are great daytime diapers. I don't reach for them first but they are a nice filler for the stash since I can't afford to be all BG yet. The Alva Baby ones are soft and cute and I really like them. They are obviously cheaper than the BG ones I have, but they are still good diapers.

I also have a few Swaddlebees that I really like. They aren't my go to since they aren't super cute, but I have never had a leak with them except for one time overnight, but that was because my husband put it on her when he was half asleep and didn't snap it tight enough.
  3. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

I LOVE BG elementals. I refuse to use velco though . It doesn't last as long and if it isn't closed right in the wash can ruin diapers.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I would try the Flip system for outings. One size diaper cover with a disposable insert. I love love love mine. I use them every time I leave the house. The inserts are really inexpensive.
  5. Senior Member
    I liked the Rumparoos I had and the Bum Genius I had. Both worked well for us when we were using cloth. I really liked stuffable AIO's at night. You already have plenty of diapers (as long as you actually use the prefolds).
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindorella View Post
    I know that the velcro isn't popular with a lot of people because it can stick to things and it can wear out over time, but I LOVE my BG 4.0s with velcro. LOVE. With velcro I get a much better fit and they are just so freakin EASY. ALL of the velcro ones I have I bought second hand off of a friend who used them for over 6 months with her daughter and when I got them the velcro was only curling a little bit in the corner and is still in great condition. If you take care of the velcro, it will last just fine IMO!

The elementals I am not as fond of because they are kind of a PITA to clean when they get poopy. Because they are one size and all in one, the insert is sewn in. The way they do it is by sewing a few layers of an insert into the diaper but it isn't covered with anything, it's basically free floating and just sewn on the ends so that it can fold down and then expand back out depending on how far you have the diaper snapped down. So, when Kaia poops in that diaper the poop tends to kind of get in every nook and cranny. Makes it grosser IMO. I am also not as fond of the leg gussets, they roll out a little and you have to roll them back in to keep the inner lining from poking out. I like them okay, but they are not my favorite.

Otherwise I have never used Rumparooz or Cloth by Tel. I have used Alva Baby and Sunbaby and I really like both of them, especially considering how cheap they are. The Sunbaby diapers look to run a little smaller (Kaia is already on the biggest setting but not the biggest snap yet) but they are great daytime diapers. I don't reach for them first but they are a nice filler for the stash since I can't afford to be all BG yet. The Alva Baby ones are soft and cute and I really like them. They are obviously cheaper than the BG ones I have, but they are still good diapers.

I also have a few Swaddlebees that I really like. They aren't my go to since they aren't super cute, but I have never had a leak with them except for one time overnight, but that was because my husband put it on her when he was half asleep and didn't snap it tight enough.
    Interesting. Seems like the BG Elemental AIO's are a hit or miss. If I buy any, I would only get 2 - mostly out of curiosity to see how they compare. I have never heard of the other brands you mentioned, so I may look at those - assuming I can get way with only ordering a few diapers at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by IMakeLotsaBabies View Post
    I LOVE BG elementals. I refuse to use velco though . It doesn't last as long and if it isn't closed right in the wash can ruin diapers.
    Yeah, that's what I've heard consistently about the velcro and why we got 12 of the BG with snaps. I still think it would be nice to have a few for nighttime or for others to use. I have a heck of a time aligning all of the snaps when I mess around with them now - I can't imagine how hard it would be with a squirmy baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Katarianna View Post
    I would try the Flip system for outings. One size diaper cover with a disposable insert. I love love love mine. I use them every time I leave the house. The inserts are really inexpensive.
    Thanks, I'll check them out! Looks like I can get a starter set for $29.95 - not bad!

Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    I liked the Rumparoos I had and the Bum Genius I had. Both worked well for us when we were using cloth. I really liked stuffable AIO's at night. You already have plenty of diapers (as long as you actually use the prefolds).
    Seems like you can't really go wrong with Bum Genius. I have never heard any complaints.

The prefolds I only intend on using for the filler time between the newborn stage and whatever weight my baby will need to be to comfortably fit into the BG's. I've been told around 10-12lbs or so for optimal fit
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    A big advantage to the Flip system is that a lot of Walgreens are selling them now, so if you have one near you that does you don't have to wait for more inserts to be shipped.
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorous View Post

Yeah, that's what I've heard consistently about the velcro and why we got 12 of the BG with snaps. I still think it would be nice to have a few for nighttime or for others to use. I have a heck of a time aligning all of the snaps when I mess around with them now - I can't imagine how hard it would be with a squirmy baby.
    Once you get the hang of it, it's really not bad at all .
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by IMakeLotsaBabies View Post
    Once you get the hang of it, it's really not bad at all .
    The snaps are easy. Once you start doing it all day you learn to do it really fast. I used velcro covers when DS was a newborn and needed middle of the night diaper changes. I didn't want to turn on the light and wake him up even more. I can do the velcro wraps with prefolds blind
  10. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I am really hoping I will like the Elementals more when she eats more solids and her poop isn't so... baby. Right now when I hear her grunt in them I cringe and run for another diaper before she poops.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast