Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beer for milk?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Beer for milk?

Advertisements
    So I had my six week post partum check up yesterday.
    We were talking about how the baby has been eating, and how I was afraid I was drying up.
    She told me to drink a beer a day to help my milk supply.
    Has anyone ever heard of this?
    I dont think I am going to do it because I am underage, and I don't think dh would agree with it. But, have you heard of it? Does it work?
  2. Senior Member
    I just googled it for yah looks like you can get a non alcoholic kind of milk

"Yes, but it's not because of the alcohol. In fact, the alcohol works against you.
    Nursing moms are often advised by family and friends to relax and have a beer to help stimulate milk production. And it's true that a polysaccharide in the barley used to make beer seems to stimulate prolactin, which helps moms make more milk. (The good news, if you like the taste of beer, is that nonalcoholic beer has the same stimulating effect.)
    Alcohol, on the other hand, can inhibit milk production. This may explain why babies have been found to drink significantly less milk in the four hours after their mom drinks a beer.
    And then there's the issue of exposing your baby to even a small amount of alcohol. Alcohol is present in breast milk at the same level as in the blood. And that level can continue to rise for 90 minutes after you have a drink. Even if you haven't had much to drink, your baby is so much smaller than you are that a little bit of alcohol for you is a lot for your baby.
    The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that nursing moms avoid alcohol with the possible exception of the occasional small drink. The AAP also suggests waiting two hours to breastfeed after having a drink. (The alcohol will clear from your breast milk just as it clears from your bloodstream.)
    If you're concerned about milk production, focus on eating a well-balanced, nutritious diet and breastfeeding regularly. If you're still having trouble, read our article on low milk production and consult your healthcare provider or a lactation expert before you pick up a six-pack."

Is it true that drinking beer increases a breastfeeding mom's milk supply? | BabyCenter
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Lol thank you!!!
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

My Grandma used to always tell me to drink a beer to help my milk supply (though I didn't need it and don't drink + beer is NASTY).

5. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I've always heard it as well.

My girlfriend who was struggling with her supply and also is underage drank the Non-Alcoholic German Beers that kids can technically have and that helped her a lot. She only had to do it a couple times and the her supply seemed to return fine.
  6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Its the beer thats high in hoops (sp) that you need. High in hoops beer is what helps.
    Honestly I would just do oatmeal and lots of water and rest to help your supply and supplymenting.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Your baby is six weeks old. He/She is most likely just going through a growth spurt and cluster feeding. That will make it seems like the baby is not eating well or is always hungry. As long as the baby has enough wet diapers I would not take any supplements. If you are going to do it though, take some fenugreek or more milk plus, something that is proven to work. Beer for milk probably used to work, but American beer does not have enough hops and barley to make it work. You would have to drink something like Guiness.
  8. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarianna View Post
    Your baby is six weeks old. He/She is most likely just going through a growth spurt and cluster feeding. That will make it seems like the baby is not eating well or is always hungry. As long as the baby has enough wet diapers I would not take any supplements. If you are going to do it though, take some fenugreek or more milk plus, something that is proven to work. Beer for milk probably used to work, but American beer does not have enough hops and barley to make it work. You would have to drink something like Guiness.
    That's the beer I heard to drink to help.

9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen113007 View Post
    That's the beer I heard to drink to help.
    Most people I know could not handle drinking that on a regular basis. Americans drink light beer. It is practically water.
  10. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarianna View Post
    Most people I know could not handle drinking that on a regular basis. Americans drink light beer. It is practically water.
    I feel like a pansy...I am a total Bud Light girl. DH always laughs at me and says I might as well drink a bottle of water, it's cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast