Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: milk supply

1. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

milk supply

Advertisements
    how do u kno if its suffering? - naking

ansley ate off one side and was still hungry.. normally i feed her from one side then the other side the next time. this time she ate some from the other side. she was kind of fussing at the boob a little and i'm not too worried about my supply, but i wanna make sure its not getting low. I read on KM that it could just be that the flow slowed and she is getting frustrated. She just fell asleep after eating for about 5mins.

eta- when she was latched n fussing, she would eat n swallow, but after a min or 2 shed fuss.
  2. Starting over...
    Starting over...
    i'm pretty sure i was the world's worst nursing mother, so i have no answers for you... but here's a in hopes that someone else has some!

I will do what God asks me to do; I will give God what I cannot do; and no matter what, I will trust the Lord.
    "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." - Hebrews 11:1
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TarynD View Post
    i'm pretty sure i was the world's worst nursing mother, so i have no answers for you... but here's a in hopes that someone else has some!
    I thought I took the cake for that one.

I've been wondering the same thing, Jamie.
  4. Senior Member
    Try pumping. My sister in law started having a difficult time nursing and the lactation consultant had her pump her breast. She was only producing about half an ounce! She had to give it up but I think its because she more worried about losing weight than breastfeeding. She barely ate or drank anything.

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I was told to feed from both sides so that the baby got enough.
    BUT last night I had the same issue, she ate till both sides were pretty well empty and she was still hungry.
  6. You're amazing.... <3
    You're amazing.... <3
    Quote Originally Posted by twentyatheart View Post
    Try pumping. My sister in law started having a difficult time nursing and the lactation consultant had her pump her breast. She was only producing about half an ounce! She had to give it up but I think its because she more worried about losing weight than breastfeeding. She barely ate or drank anything.
    this. make sure you have a hospital grade pump. I know my hospital will rent them. (I find that gross..... but that's me). They recommended a Medela pump. It was a nice pump, but as you know, I also ran out early on.

Take Fenugreek. Its an herb, and can be found in a health food store. Just take 2 pills 3 times a day everyday, and it will bump up your supply. It will make your urine and sweat smell like maple syrup though.
    But seriously, it kept me from loosing my entire supply. Try it!
    Brandikayy and dream share custody of me!
  7. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tana Bear View Post
    I was told to feed from both sides so that the baby got enough.
    BUT last night I had the same issue, she ate till both sides were pretty well empty and she was still hungry.
    she def gets enough from one boob.

I have a pump but i don't get much from it unless i pump in the AM when i'm kind of engorged. I don't think my suppl yis low, but i'm curious as to how you know so i can watch for signs bc i want to continue breastfeeding for a minimum of 3 months if possible. I guess i'm just nervous!
  8. You're amazing.... <3
    You're amazing.... <3
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    she def gets enough from one boob.

I have a pump but i don't get much from it unless i pump in the AM when i'm kind of engorged. I don't think my suppl yis low, but i'm curious as to how you know so i can watch for signs bc i want to continue breastfeeding for a minimum of 3 months if possible. I guess i'm just nervous!
    Your baby is continuing to lose weight. If your baby doesn't start regaining her birth weight after five days, or if at any time after that your baby starts losing rather than gaining weight, talk with her doctor.
    Your baby is wetting fewer than eight cloth diapers or six disposable diapers in a 24-hour period after the five days following her birth.
    After her first five days, your baby has small, dark stools.
    Your baby's urine is very dark, like the color of apple juice. (If her urine is pale or clear, she's getting enough liquid; if it's more concentrated, it may be a sign that she's short on fluids.)
    Your baby is fussy or lethargic much of the time. She may fall asleep as soon as you put her to your breast but then fuss when you take her off.
    Feedings consistently take longer than an hour, and your baby just doesn't seem satisfied.
    Your breasts don't feel any softer after nursing.
    You rarely hear your baby swallow while nursing. (Some babies are very quiet feeders, so if all other signs are positive, don't worry about this one!)
    Brandikayy and dream share custody of me!
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I dont pump enough to feed Allie during the day, when I'm at work I'm only able to pump about 8-10 ozs and that was even when I was taking the fenugreek. Allie gets supplemental formula when at daycare.

You may have to supplement and its not a horrible thing, at least Ansley is still getting some breastmilk

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LissaMonster View Post
    Your baby is continuing to lose weight. If your baby doesn't start regaining her birth weight after five days, or if at any time after that your baby starts losing rather than gaining weight, talk with her doctor.
    Your baby is wetting fewer than eight cloth diapers or six disposable diapers in a 24-hour period after the five days following her birth.
    After her first five days, your baby has small, dark stools.
    Your baby's urine is very dark, like the color of apple juice. (If her urine is pale or clear, she's getting enough liquid; if it's more concentrated, it may be a sign that she's short on fluids.)
    Your baby is fussy or lethargic much of the time. She may fall asleep as soon as you put her to your breast but then fuss when you take her off.
    Feedings consistently take longer than an hour, and your baby just doesn't seem satisfied.
    Your breasts don't feel any softer after nursing.
    You rarely hear your baby swallow while nursing. (Some babies are very quiet feeders, so if all other signs are positive, don't worry about this one!)
    this is what I was going to say. The big thing is that baby is gaining weight and producing a good amount of wet diapers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast