Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Help me think this through...re: BFing

1. Senior Member

Smile Help me think this through...re: BFing

Advertisements
    I'm *tempted* to exclusively pump sometime soon. I know that it may/will affect my supply, and that if I try to BF her thereafter, she may get frustrated or "lazy latch syndrome." I also get that bonding happens better, in the opinion of some, at the boob.

This morning, I woke up an hour before a doctor appointment and didn't have time to do the 30-45 minute nursing session. I was exhausted anyway due to a crazy sleep schedule (I know that sleep deprivation is part of the package). So, I pumped. Took, maybe, 10-15 minutes and I was able to feed her in the car (my mom drove). We're using slow-flow bottles atm. It was so much easier and less time consuming. I was instantly spoiled, I guess.

Yet, something is telling me to hold off. I have to return to work in August, and she will most definitely have to take bottles then. She doesn't seem to mind them, but formula is a no-go. Every attempt to supplement, either while I was hospitalized or since then, has resulted in spitting up everything she took in.

I'm debating with myself, and neither side has the experience to win the war.
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    As she gets old she will bf faster, like as fast as 7-10 minutes and she done! She's gaining the strength to feed still that's way newborns eat forever, cause thy aren't strong enough yet.
    The bottles you use the less she has to work so she wobt get as strong and quick at bf.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Senior Member
    Is that why her suction has seemingly hulk-i-fied overnight?
  4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    It could be and I think they have a growth spurt at like 2-3 weeks and 6 weeks.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveChildOfDudi View Post
    As she gets old she will bf faster, like as fast as 7-10 minutes and she done! She's gaining the strength to feed still that's way newborns eat forever, cause thy aren't strong enough yet.
    The bottles you use the less she has to work so she wobt get as strong and quick at bf.
    This! It also has to do with your body getting used to it apparently. ODS took about a month to get feedings down to 10 but YDS picked it up in about 2 weeks partly because my body already knew what to do. I would not start that yet, give her some time to get going and that way when you need to do it in August your body will be better adjusted & prepared and it hopefully won't affect your supply as much.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It sucks at first.... but it DOES get easier, I promise! And honestly, as long as you're still getting the stimulation by pumping so your supply doesn't drop, I personally don't think there's anything with offering a bottle in lieu of breastfeeding sometimes. I probably do it once or twice a day... no biggie.

7. blah blah BLAH
    blah blah BLAH
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    It sucks at first.... but it DOES get easier, I promise! And honestly, as long as you're still getting the stimulation by pumping so your supply doesn't drop, I personally don't think there's anything with offering a bottle in lieu of breastfeeding sometimes. I probably do it once or twice a day... no biggie.

I agree. You don't have to abandon BF altogether.. but, sometimes it is just quicker and easier to use a bottle. My intention was to continue to breastfeed, but pump and use a bottle a couple times a day (it was easier and I wanted to be sure she was getting enough)... but it turned out that I wasn't producing enough anyway, so that didn't work out for me

I say, there is nothing wrong with making it a little easier on yourself sometimes... either way, she's getting breastmilk, which is awesome!
    *miles mean NOTHING when you are in love, and love means EVERYTHING when you are miles apart*

8. Everyday is a new day
    Everyday is a new day
    IMHO I'd do half and half.

DD got a bottle occasionally and then all of a sudden stopped taking the bottle. Entirely. Looking back I wish I would have pumped and given her a bottle at least 1 a day so she could be used to it. Made things (like a 1400 mile road trip) so much harder.

Don't give up hope, lots of people pump and nurse, or pump exclusively. The main part is getting her the milk!

i my fall 09 wives
  9. Senior Member
    It'll get better! The first 6-8 weeks are the worst (constant growth spurts with one from hell usually around 6 weeks). Then it goes way down to like 10-15 minutes a session. DS went down to 5-10 minutes around 3-4 months (they're too distracted to BF any longer . Now DS BFs for 3 minutes during the day. Even if I was going back to work, I'd keep BFing when I was at home just because of how easy it is now. Nothing wrong with a bottle once a day since she will need to take them when you go back to work, but keep offering the boob. The more she BFs, the more efficient she'll get at it.
    Cooking with Mrs Sea Monster | My Ramblings
    Mommy to Aiden (Nov 2010) and Zoe (VBAC Nov 2012)
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsUSMC View Post
    I agree. You don't have to abandon BF altogether.. but, sometimes it is just quicker and easier to use a bottle. My intention was to continue to breastfeed, but pump and use a bottle a couple times a day (it was easier and I wanted to be sure she was getting enough)... but it turned out that I wasn't producing enough anyway, so that didn't work out for me

I say, there is nothing wrong with making it a little easier on yourself sometimes... either way, she's getting breastmilk, which is awesome!
    Just MAKE SURE you fit in a pumping session close to the time you're offering the baby a bottle... you need the stimulation to make sure your supply doesn't drop. If you're going to start including bottle sessions, I'd transition into it slowly over a week or two so that you can monitor your supply.

(If you have questions, you can usually get ahold of a lactation consultant at the hospital, they can help you with specifics!! )