Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michaela's birth story!

1. Senior Member

Big Grin Michaela's birth story!

Advertisements
    At 41w2d pregnant, I had begun having problems with sciatica. Coupling that with personal reasons, we opted to be induced by AROM. We arrived at 7:30AM. They broke my water at ~8:00AM. After ~2-3 hours without progression, the doctor advised we would have to start the pitocin. He started me at level 1 dosage, and we never went above 6 (they told me the girl next door was at a 14 and the level they used to get my uterus back to normal size was 40!). I did not allow them to increase the level until I was convinced that Michaela was handling it well. It was amusing/annoying to me how they thought that my worry about using pitocin was painful contractions. I had received my epidural (on a pump ) about 3 hours after they broke my water.

She spontaneously had a drop in heart rate around 10:30PM. They checked me again, and it was time to push. I was angry that the very thing I hated about pitocin happened, but she recovered quickly, and they turned off the pit. I guess I pushed for about 2.5 hours. Because she was a "meconium baby", DH didn't get to cut the cord. They had a team ready to clear out her lungs/airways. I declined the eye ointment, which resulted in my signing paperwork that acknowledged I may be visited in-home by a case worker. She arrived at 12:37AM on Saturday, May 21st, weighing 8 lbs., 5 oz and 20.5 in. long. My mom, sister, DH, and BFF were in the room with me the whole time. Several friends and family members were there to welcome her, held her, and then bid us farewell for awhile.

AFTERMATH

At around 2AM, the nurse gave Michaela a bath, and afterward, asked if I was ready to try BFing. I was in the middle of this when I passed out the first time. I woke up to the smell of ammonia salts and approximately 6 people swarming around me. From then until 7:30AM, I passed out 3 more times. Each time, I was passing blood clots. Threw up a few times. My BP was bottoming out, sometimes as low as 61/39. I had lost 3x the normal amount of blood for a vaginal birth, according to them. They decided I needed a blood transfusion. I got 2 units, but passed out again during the transfusion. So, I got transferred by ambulance to another hospital in the area "just to be safe." Michaela was transferred with me. We were discharged on Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday night, I passed a clot the size of a softball. On Friday, I went in to see my OB to check me out, and he said there were still a lot of clots in my uterus. He cleaned out a ton, but recommended I undergo a D&C immediately. The uterus wasn't closing up like it should, thus I was still losing blood. I stayed overnight in the hospital because I had to have another blood transfusion. That week, I received 6 units of blood total. My levels had gotten as low as the 4's, whatever that means. I scared my DH quite a bit. He says I'm never allowed to do that again.

She's 2 weeks old today. I have yet to post the first picture of her anywhere. She is currently suffering baby acne. I think she may be colicky as well. DH went back to work on Tuesday, and I have not slept in my own bed in a week. BFing was very hard, especially that first week. I had cracks pretty early on, despite lots of help from the LC's. I was prescribed Newman's Nipple Cream (1 steroid: 1 antibiotic: 1 antifungal) and she seems to have caught on to the latch thing because nowadays, I feel the pull/tug but no pinching/pain. Feels like smooth sailing, dare I jinx myself.

Pictures will follow. It may take me a week or more, but I just thought I would update. I'm still around.
  2. Senior Member
    Goodness! What an eventful birth! I'm glad you and Miss Michaela are doing well now Can't wait to see pictures of your sweet baby
  3. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    I am so happy you are doing well enough to update us!! I really cannot tell you how happy I am for you and B- M was a long time, a long road, coming and she even decided to make things difficult upon arrival but I know she was worth every moment for you guys. Give her & B giant hugs & slobbery kisses from the boys and I and keep your eyes open end of next week for a package in your mail.
  4. You're amazing.... <3
    You're amazing.... <3
    Wow! I'm so happy you and baby are okay! Seriously, a very eventful birth!
    If you were my wife I wouldn't allow you to do it again either!

Can't wait to see pictures!
    Brandikayy and dream share custody of me!
  5. Regular Member
    So happy you're both okay!!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by princessgwynn View Post
    I am so happy you are doing well enough to update us!! I really cannot tell you how happy I am for you and B- M was a long time, a long road, coming and she even decided to make things difficult upon arrival but I know she was worth every moment for you guys. Give her & B giant hugs & slobbery kisses from the boys and I and keep your eyes open end of next week for a package in your mail.
    Thank you, ladybug! I couldn't agree more. And at packages in the mail.

Thank you for the well wishes, ladies!
  7. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

how scary!! i'm glad you are okay now
  8. blah blah BLAH
    blah blah BLAH
    Glad you're both doing well now! I can't imagine having to go through all of those things...

Congratulations! And, like everyone else, I cannot wait to see pictures!

Best wishes for continued smooth sailing
    *miles mean NOTHING when you are in love, and love means EVERYTHING when you are miles apart*

9. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    WOW!! What a story! Glad you are both ok. And I love the name Michaela. Congratulations!
  10. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

I'm glad you're both ok. and
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast