Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Warning for Breastfeeding Mommas....

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Exclamation A Warning for Breastfeeding Mommas....

Advertisements
    I know it's pretty much standard practice to put women on birth control at their post-partum check-up.

MAKE SURE YOU DO YOUR RESEARCH.

I opted to start the NuvaRing.

What I didn't realize is how badly it would affect my milk supply. I was on it for 5 days before figuring out what was going on.... and I was basically starting to dry up. I used to be able to pump 6-7oz... I was barely getting 1oz.

We were forced to supplement for a few days since I wasn't producing ANYTHING in the evenings. It was miserable, he HATES formula (I'll agree, it tastes like shit )... but we had to give him something to keep from getting dehydrated.

I took the stupid NuvaRing out and my supply is slowly coming back. Nowhere near where it was... but it's getting better. I've been pumping/feeding like a madman, and drinking gallons of the milkmaid tea.

Perhaps this is common knowledge that I somehow missed out on... but I wanted to throw it out there in case it might help someone else. A quick google search revealed that it's a pretty common problem with a lot of hormonal BC methods. I talked to my LC, and she goes "wow, that probably explains why so many women dry up and quit breastfeeding at 6-8 weeks..."

So, do your research.
  2. Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz
    Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz

really... that didn't happen to me
  3. Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz
    Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz

So I started thinking about it... its been four years.. Maybe there was a difference, and I never correlated the two. Which is good to know because I was going to opt for the nuva ring again
  4. Senior Member
    That makes sense though. Nuvaring is a combo of hormones. Usually the only BC used when breastfeeding is the progestin only ones. Its odd that your Dr. put you on the nuvaring.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    oh no. Good thing you noticed fairly early on!

BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    From what I've read, it's a fairly common side effect for certain BCs. Doesn't happen to everyone.... but there are some unlucky ones like me.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oh no! Dh is insisting i go on bc at my next appointment, i will have to remember this!
  8. Senior Member
    I've been worried about this in the upcoming near future. Are there any other options other than the progesterone pill? I just feel iffy about a pill because I'm not sure that I'll remember to take a pill.
  9. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.

I never had my milk come in(well it fully dried up even with pumping in a few days) and I didn't start anything after having DD. I think sometimes it also just depends sometimes also.
    Signature removed due to size.
  10. I'm so much cooler online
    I'm so much cooler online
    My midwife had a whole class on BC for afterwards. She said as long as the BC is progestron only you should have no problem. She gave us a few options like the mini-pill or the implanon in your arm or the IUD. I think there may have been a couple more, but I can't quite remember. I do remember nuvaring and most other pill forms of BC were off limits due to have estrogen and progesteron mixed which can effect your milk supply.

I would just talk with your doctor next time and explain what happened and ask for research on your other options. good luck sweetie! Glad you figured it out before it was too late!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast