Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflux babies

1. Senior Member

Question Reflux babies

Advertisements
    Any other reflux mamas out there? DS is 3 months and was diagnosed at a week old. It's been a very long, challenging battle. Just wanted to see if anyone else is going through it along with us

2. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    My girls had it. My oldest had a more severe case. It was diagnosed at 4 weeks. I knew it was reflux (was sent home with some info on it). I tried the non-med methods when I first saw symptoms at 3 weeks and finally took her in. She was a vomiter -- big time. She vomited 3+ ounces at a time and projectile vomited here and there. She nursed very, very frequently to make up for what she lost. She was on Prilosec from 4 weeks until 5ish months where she was prescribed Zantac (in addition to the Prilosec). We weaned her off the meds at around 7.5 months. Most babies outgrow it by a year.

Prilosec and Zantac aren't motility drugs so it's only meant to reduce the pain. She still nursed a ton until 7 months. Dd2's case wasn't *as* bad, but she still required medication. She was on Zantac for about 5 months.
    Pax, Aeon
  3. “Laugh as much as you breathe & love as long as you live"
    “Laugh as much as you breathe & love as long as you live"

I'm not a mom (yet - someday, I hope!), but I'm a registered nurse in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and a lot of the babies/kiddos we see have reflux issues. PM me if you ever need to - I'll try to help as much as I can - I'm no expert, but I can try to help! I hope your little one is doing ok.

We typically give prevacid and/or pepcid to the kiddos on our unit. Works great for some, not so much for others. I know it can be frustrating - I hope your DS is doing well!!

DB:"I don't need a bunch of stuff to be happy, I just need you"
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    sabrina had a pretty severe case of it. we used thickner in her bottle plus used more formula than was supposed to be used with the formula. we also used dr brown nipples. I love those nipples they came in handy. so glad that she is not having the issues anymore, i hated having to special order the nipples. now she can use regular medium flow nipples.
    I feel the need to be petted too!
  5. Senior Member
    OMG I know the reflux issues. I'm so overwhelmed right now. My son was diagnosed with GERD. He is 11 weeks old now. He was admitted to the hospital on Thursday because it got so bad he screamed all day, vomited, hicupped with reflux (you could hear it) and would cry and cry, lots of other issues too. He stopped eating well and gaining weight. We just got discharged from the hospital tonight. They put him on a medication and got Tricare to approve a prescription formula (Elecare). So far its made a huge differenece. His progress was better then expected as we were suppose to be in the hospital until tomorrow night.

Reflux can be so overlooked. I know for us its drastically affected us. My son isn't feeding well so we have to try and feed every hour or two. He is in so much pain he wants to be held. I have two other kids that need me too. My saving grace is that they are almost 9 and 4 so they can help a little and understand baby brother is sick.

I'm so thankfull Tricare didn't give us a hard time with the approval of the formula. I've read online of people being denied. I know its a case by case approval.

I did a lot of reading online and other reflux moms recommended the Fisher price Rock and Play Sleeper. Its awesome. It allows baby to sleep at a incline. My son likes it.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cuttielawgirl View Post
    OMG I know the reflux issues. I'm so overwhelmed right now. My son was diagnosed with GERD. He is 11 weeks old now. He was admitted to the hospital on Thursday because it got so bad he screamed all day, vomited, hicupped with reflux (you could hear it) and would cry and cry, lots of other issues too. He stopped eating well and gaining weight. We just got discharged from the hospital tonight. They put him on a medication and got Tricare to approve a prescription formula (Elecare). So far its made a huge differenece. His progress was better then expected as we were suppose to be in the hospital until tomorrow night.

Reflux can be so overlooked. I know for us its drastically affected us. My son isn't feeding well so we have to try and feed every hour or two. He is in so much pain he wants to be held. I have two other kids that need me too. My saving grace is that they are almost 9 and 4 so they can help a little and understand baby brother is sick.

I'm so thankfull Tricare didn't give us a hard time with the approval of the formula. I've read online of people being denied. I know its a case by case approval.

I did a lot of reading online and other reflux moms recommended the Fisher price Rock and Play Sleeper. Its awesome. It allows baby to sleep at a incline. My son likes it.
    yep, this is pretty much my life! DS is 3 months as well. No one really understands unless you've been there!

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    My girls had it. My oldest had a more severe case. It was diagnosed at 4 weeks. I knew it was reflux (was sent home with some info on it). I tried the non-med methods when I first saw symptoms at 3 weeks and finally took her in. She was a vomiter -- big time. She vomited 3+ ounces at a time and projectile vomited here and there. She nursed very, very frequently to make up for what she lost. She was on Prilosec from 4 weeks until 5ish months where she was prescribed Zantac (in addition to the Prilosec). We weaned her off the meds at around 7.5 months. Most babies outgrow it by a year.

Prilosec and Zantac aren't motility drugs so it's only meant to reduce the pain. She still nursed a ton until 7 months. Dd2's case wasn't *as* bad, but she still required medication. She was on Zantac for about 5 months.
    So you used zantac and prilosec together? Ds started out on zantac, then prilosec and bethanchol, and now just prevacid. Nothing really seems to be helping and he is still in a lot of pain. However the vomiting has subsided a little. He is very high needs and screams when put down at all

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle.86 View Post

I'm not a mom (yet - someday, I hope!), but I'm a registered nurse in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and a lot of the babies/kiddos we see have reflux issues. PM me if you ever need to - I'll try to help as much as I can - I'm no expert, but I can try to help! I hope your little one is doing ok.

We typically give prevacid and/or pepcid to the kiddos on our unit. Works great for some, not so much for others. I know it can be frustrating - I hope your DS is doing well!!
    That is incredibly sweet of you, thank you so much!

8. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Poor thing I watched my friend struggle with it with her baby. Our ped at the time wouldn't do anything about it and she had to fight to see another ped.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

9. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Thankfully, Emma was able to get past it without meds. We had a crazy time finding formula for her though. She had both reflux and gas problems and we ended up combining 2 different kinds of formula to help her.

I hope he feels better soon!

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveChildOfDudi View Post
    Poor thing I watched my friend struggle with it with her baby. Our ped at the time wouldn't do anything about it and she had to fight to see another ped.
    That's horrible! DS's first ped kind of had a laid back attitude as well so we found another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen113007 View Post
    Thankfully, Emma was able to get past it without meds. We had a crazy time finding formula for her though. She had both reflux and gas problems and we ended up combining 2 different kinds of formula to help her.

I hope he feels better soon!
    That sounds like DS as well. His ped gastro dr put him on bethanachol to try to make food move through his system faster (thinking it would help with the gas) but it just made the projectile vomiting worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast