Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Now I am having BF troubles

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Bang Head Now I am having BF troubles

Advertisements
    For the past day or so DS has been refusing to BF half the time. DH gave him a bottle yesterday around 6 because my errands took longer then I expected. He gave him part BM and part formula because there was not enough BM. Since then he is having a really hard time BF. he would rather scream and scream than eat. DH thinks he just wants another bottle. I am NOT giving him one.

Since midnight last night he has eaten at 3, 6, 8:30, 11:30, then not again till four. He only eats on one side, but he has always usually just taken one side at a time so i am not worried about that. What I am worried about is that he usually eats much more frequently. Like every 1 1/2 hours. I don't know what to think. DH has also suggest I go back to using a shield for a little bit.
  2. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Is he still having plenty of wet diapers? He may just be spacing out his feedings as he gets older/bigger because he's taking more each feeding (even if it doesn't seem like he's taking more). I would just continue to offer him the breast when he's showing signs of hunger... or if it seems like he's not showing signs of hunger, just offer the breast every once in a while... if he doesn't take it, wait a while and offer again.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  3. Senior Member
    I am using a shield. It's the only way I can make breastfeeding work for us right now. Do what you gotta do to get him on the boob!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    Is he still having plenty of wet diapers? He may just be spacing out his feedings as he gets older/bigger because he's taking more each feeding (even if it doesn't seem like he's taking more). I would just continue to offer him the breast when he's showing signs of hunger... or if it seems like he's not showing signs of hunger, just offer the breast every once in a while... if he doesn't take it, wait a while and offer again.
    Yes he still has plenty of wet diapers. He is in hemp so we change him every 2-3 hours, but I could change him once an hour and he would still be a little wet. He doesn't pee a lot at a time but he pees very often.
  5. Senior Member
    Any chance that he is teething? I know it sound crazy, but DS is 3 months and has been teething for a little bit now.

6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by JustBreathe View Post
    Any chance that he is teething? I know it sound crazy, but DS is 3 months and has been teething for a little bit now.
    I have been wondering. No fever yet but all the other signs are there. He was born with a little nub already so I think it is very possible. I will check his gums again.
  7. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    It really sounds like he is just adjusting his feeding times. As they get older they don't need to be super glued to you (really woulnd't that just be easier sometimes!) all the time. As long as he is still nursing and having wet diapers you should be fine.
  8. Senior Member
    I asked my LC friend for you and she said he could also be getting frustrated from nipple confusion. Having to do no work at all for a bottle vs actually having to suck at the boob kwim?

9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by JustBreathe View Post
    I asked my LC friend for you and she said he could also be getting frustrated from nipple confusion. Having to do no work at all for a bottle vs actually having to suck at the boob kwim?
    That is what DH thinks. When he was younger he had a lot more bottles because my milk came in late and then it took what felt like eternity to get enough to feed him full time. SO I cut those out except for when I am not here. He doesn't get them often. I try to feed him right before I leave and then be back before he needs to eat again. There are just times when I can't take him places with me, like to the gym or nail salon.

I kind of don't think that is the problem though because he will started crying as soon as I put him in the cradle position, before I even get to try and give him my nipple. So he might just be needing to eat less. I guess I will give it a couple days and see how it goes. Thanks guys.
  10. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Kaia started signs of teething at 3 months. I wouldn't be surprised if something was moving around in his little mouth and that's why he doesn't want to eat. I had to sneak a bottle to Kaia while she was sleeping and suckling in her sleep to get her to eat for days at one point.

I also know with Kaia, once she had a bottle she realized how much easier it was and started to refuse the boob. I wasn't patient enough to keep at it because I was having some PPD issues and by the time I could emotionally handle it she was all the way on the bottle.

I hope he starts feeding normally again! Or maybe he will just feed less now and give you more sleep.