Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infant Reflux & Zantac

1. Senior Member

Infant Reflux & Zantac

Advertisements
    Has anyone used Zantac for infant acid reflux?

Was it helpful?

Were there other things that helped more than the medication?

Did your infant have any side effects?

2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    right now they have sabrina on zantac and thickner. we hate it, it works for the reflux but they also have her on thicker formula and it causes her to become constipated often.

we are going to go talk to the dr on tuesday and ask them about changing something around so that she has regular stools.

other than that i have nothing helpful to add. she is only 2 weeks old and so we have not tried anything else yet.
    I feel the need to be petted too!
  3. Senior Member
    Well its good to know that it helps with the reflux. Is she less fussy during feedings??

4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    According aap a baby isn't consipated unless they don't got for 2 weeks
    had to look this up cause ds only poops every 4-5 days and it's completely normal

As for reflex is the baby formula or breastfed?
    If breastfed might be something thAt your eating. (for me I have to watch how much caffine I have)
    and formula have you tried different forumlas?
    Meds should be avoid as much as possible with infants.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Senior Member
    He is breastfed. I have already been working with the pedi on my diet and we've cut pretty much everything questionable out. We are also using other lifestyle changes (like sleeping at an incline and staying upright after feedings).

The reason she's suggesting Zantac is because he has a choking problem. He chokes at least once a day to the point where he is turning blue and multiple times throughout the day not quite as bad. He's also very fussy during his feedings. She's watched him eat several times and sees other signs of reflux.

I really would not like to put him on medication, but we are running out of other options. He's just in pain all the time and nothing has really worked so far.

6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Awww poor thing!!
    Atleast your ped is being helpful! Had a friend that went through hell for five weeks till the ped at our last base would give her baby meds!
    If he's having that many issues then it most likely is best for him to go on it.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Senior Member
    It totally just breaks my heart that he's in pain you know?? I hate it and its really frustrating.

The pedi is amazing. She gave me the prescription so that I could fill it over the weekend if I felt the need to... I'm not so sure about it. I was just curious on others experiences.

8. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Jackson had reflux, was put on Zantac. I never noticed a change in spitting up, just fussiness after feedings.

We also tried Enfamil A.R. (for reflux) and it also made Jack constipated. It wasnt that he wasnt going, it was just little hard balls when he did go and you could tell he was obviously in pain. We took him off it and switched to Dr Browns bottles for a bit, which are supposedly good reflux bottles.
  9. Senior Member
    The spit up I can totally handle....

The choking and pain makes it rough.

10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    DD has pretty bad reflux. She used to choke like that too, it is so scary! She was on Zantac but it didn't make a difference. It really became more of a trial and error with finding her the right formula and then mixing it with cereal.

She is on a soy formula and for four ounces of formula she takes four teaspoons of cereal. This is in combination with sitting up after eating and having her take her time with eating.

It takes a few days to see if something is working so I would try to be patient. She's now 3 1/2 months and doing a lot better. She hasn't had a choking incident since she was 8 weeks. She still spits up, but that I can handle.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast