Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Japan with an infant

1. Regular Member

Moving to Japan with an infant

Advertisements
    Im moving to Okinawa wednesday with my 2 month old daughter. Our flight leaves at 8:25am on wednesday but arrives 10:35pm on thursday so im scared her sleeping and eating schedule will be off. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep her on the same schedule she is on with the change in time or how to keep her from getting her days and night mixed up. Any suggestions will help.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think you'll be surprised how quickly babies adjust. It is day light here in Japan by like 4:30am all year round. And gets dark around the same time, too.

No doubt there will be schedule changes but I'd be worried more about you than the baby!

Nihon e yokhoso! Welcome to Japan!

*Edited to clarfiy that when I said it gets dark around the same time, I meant that sunset doesn't change that drastically. Not that it gets dark at 4:30am. Sorry that sounded confusing!
    Last edited by Debra; 08-23-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  3. Senior Member

It will most likely be impossible. I made the trip with a 4 month old with a double ear infection. Didn't know about the infection until later. She screamed the entire flight.
    I was all my myself and didn't think I was going to make it.

I would ask for the seat by the movie screen that has a bassinet attached to it.

Although...that was 18 years ago. I'm not sure if they still even have those.

You both will slowly adjust to the time difference. It takes awhile.
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    I think you'll be surprised how quickly babies adjust. It is day light here in Japan by like 4:30am all year round. And gets dark around the same time, too.

No doubt there will be schedule changes but I'd be worried more about you than the baby!

Nihon e yokhoso! Welcome to Japan!
    WOW, the earth must have really shifted since I lived there 2 1/2 yrs ago. In summer it can stay dark till around 9pm and in winter the sun sometimes doesn't rise till around 7/7:30am

Babies do usually adjust well to time chnage. We traveled from OKI to Hawaii to VA (within 3 days) when YDS was about 4 mths, stayed in VA for 2 weeks, went back to Hawaii for a few days then back home to Okinawa. He had no problem adjusting, so long as you adjust ok and don't freak out about it, you should be fine.

5. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    its going to be a little rough but you will make it through it! I leave thursday with DS to england so I'm in the same boat with time change!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    WOW, the earth must have really shifted since I lived there 2 1/2 yrs ago. In summer it can stay dark till around 9pm and in winter the sun sometimes doesn't rise till around 7/7:30am
    Granted we've only lived here in Yokosuka on the Mainland for a year but it has never stayed dark here until 9pm. The sun always comes up here between 4 & say 7am. Similiar to the States. We just don't observe daylight savings time here.

And it generally gets dark between 5 & around 7 or 8pm.

This is a good website to look at for the sunrise & sunset times.
    Sunrise and Sunset for Japan – Tokyo – coming days
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  7. Senior Member
    I have no advice, but DF is stationed in Okinawa and I LOVE it there! I am so jealous I won't get to live there after we get married. Sorry to threadjack. Like Debra said though, it does get dark much earlier than in the states. I was there in each season so far, and in January it got dark between 4:30 and 5 every day.

8. Regular Member
    Thank yall! Shes a pretty calm baby so im hoping the plane ride she stays calm. hopefully we will adjust quickly.
  9. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MacNCheese View Post
    its going to be a little rough but you will make it through it! I leave thursday with DS to england so I'm in the same boat with time change!
    Mac! Just you know it gets dark in England in the winter at 3:30 pm.

It is really weird.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    I lived in Yokosuka for nearly 4 years and It was always like Sandykay said .

Aaaaanyway, yes it's impossible. But like adults, babies too get over jetlag.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast