Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calling all breastfeeding mommas!

1. ♥ my kids
    ♥ my kids

calling all breastfeeding mommas!

Advertisements
    I tried breast feeding my 20 month old dd when she was born, but wasn't able too because nothing ever came in, no colstrum (sp?) or milk.
    But we're thinking i'll be able to do it this time because i'm already leaking! (i'm 38 1/2 weeks pregnant, i'm having my c section in 5 days)

So i'm like so scared because I've been trying to read up on breastfeeding..
    and still haven't found alot of my questions answered.
    So I was wondering..
    Is there food's I should stay away from while breastfeeding? Are there foods that will help my milk come in faster/better?
    How long will it take for the milk to come in?
    How will I know she's getting enough colstrum/milk?

And anything I should buy? or anything I must know before attempting to bf?

Thanks a ton!
  2. Senior Member
    Ask to see a Lactation Consultant in the Hospital.

I'm sure there is much more but there are women here who are newer BF ladies (my BF daughter is now 8-no, I stopped nursing her when she was 13mos-I don't still nurse her).

Hope you get the answers you need.
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I'm currently breastfeeding and my LO is only 7 weeks old

I've heard oatmeal is great to eat (in all forms, like oatmea breakfast bars or oatmeal you cook) there are also teas and such to drink.
    Stay away from more then 1-2 caffine drinks a day or 1-2 cups of coffee a day.
    Don't stress! that will kill your milk supply!
    A long as your getting wet diapers then you know the baby is getting enough.
    I believe at one day old its 1 wet diaper, 2 days 2 wet daipers, 3 days 3 wet diapers, 4 days 4 wet diapers and 5 days 5 wet diapers.
    by day 3-5 your milk should come in. It will take a day longer most likely cause your having a c section.
    Till your milk comes in nurse every 2 hours. Even if you have to wake the baby up.
    Do not introduce any bottles till past 2 weeks old and your sure the baby has been latching on good. Also as soon as you can put the baby to your boob after its born.

If I think of anything else I'll post.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    It can take several days for your milk to come in--continue to keep the baby to the breast to stimulate milk production--babies don't need to be given a bottle to "supplement" and if you do give them a bottle, this will cause baby not to be feeding from the breast and therefore baby will not be stimulating milk production.

There aren't any specific foods you need to avoid, although you may find after a while that your baby is sensitive to certain foods. If you notice that, you can avoid those foods, but there isn't a standard list or anything. Most babies are fine with whatever.

DO drink plenty of water. LOTS and LOTS of water. This will help your supply. When I wasn't staying very hydrated I noticed a definite decrease in my milk supply. Oatmeal can help with milk production and I know some lactation consultants recommend women with supply issues drink a beer each evening because the hops (I think it's the hops) help with milk production.

You don't need to buy anything--except maybe some nursing bras and breast pads! As for anything you should "know"... my best advice is to not give up--even though breastfeeding is very natural, it still takes learning for both mama and baby. Be sure to talk to the lactation consultant so she can make sure baby is latching well. I think one of the biggest mistakes mamas make is letting babies latch on to only the nipple. Babies should be opening wide and taking the nipple and areola into the mouth. If you have a proper latch, you shouldn't have cracked and painful nipples. I always tell people to give breastfeeding at least 2-3 weeks... in the beginning it might seem challenging, but after a couple/few weeks, it gets SO much easier, IMO.

Good luck!
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  5. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    invest in a good pump! Medela pumps are amazing.
    Also invest in atleast 2 nursing bras and 2 nursing shirts. They are a life saver for when your out in public or don't want to keep stripping at home.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

6. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Oh and a WONDERFUL breastfeeding resource:

kellymom :: Breastfeeding and Parenting
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  7. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Does your hospital offer breastfeeding classes?
  8. ♥ my kids
    ♥ my kids
    I read something about the oatmeal, so i'm going to try to start eating that for breakfast or a quick snack.
    As far as the beer is concerned, I hate hate hate the taste of beer, it make's me vomit, so that's out of the question, lol.
    They do have a breastfeeding class at our hospital, but my sister in law went there and she said it had no helpful information and was a waste of time. Also they don't have any trained professional consultants, but I know one who promised to come up there when Anna is born, so hopefully she's able to come up.

I have a pump already, I spent like 400.00 on it when I was pregnant with DD but since I couldn't get any milk out with her or the pump.. it's put up. I might go ahead and get it down that way I can try to help my milk come in quicker or better. I'd rather be 100% BF tho with no pump.

WHAT ABOUT THOSE BREASTFEEDING PASSY'S R THOSE ANY GOOD? BECAUSE I KNOW A PASSY CAN HELP REDUCE SIDS.

Thanks so much for all the helpful tips.
  9. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I'm NAK (nursing at keyboard) so bear with me.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryMommie08 View Post

[. . .]

Is there food's I should stay away from while breastfeeding?
    Some babies have food sensitivities. This is when the elimination diet is recommended. Onions, cabbage, spicy foods can all give baby an upset tummy.

Are there foods that will help my milk come in faster/better?
    Colostrum 'comes in' (in larger quantities) as a result of the cocktail of hormones following the birth/birth of the placenta. There are foods and herbs/supplements that act as galactagogues (increase milk supply), but none that work to bring in supply.

How long will it take for the milk to come in?
    It can take up to a week. Mothers that had traumatic birth experiences might not see their milk come in until a week or later.

My milk came in 3-4 days post birth with all of mine. With my most recent I had him at almost midnight on Saturday and my milk was in on Tuesday.

How will I know she's getting enough colstrum/milk?
    Diaper output. They don't take in much colostrum during the early days. When your mature milk comes in you just keep track of diaper output (at least 6-8) wet diapers in a 24 hour period. Stools should be seedy yellow by 5-7 days. Nurse on demand. Young breastfed babies tend to nurse pretty frequently (every 2 hours). Putting baby on a feeding schedule is not advised for young breastfed babies, nor is it good for your supply.

The first 6 weeks is the critical period where you're working on building/establishing your supply. Don't supplement unless absolutely necessary (no pacifiers, bottles--nada). Don't be fooled into thinking your baby isn't getting enough because she/he is nursing frequently. It's their way of signaling your breasts to make [more] milk. It's all based on supply and demand. Don't compare your breastfed baby's feeding 'schedule' to a formula fed baby's feeding schedule. Breastmilk digests quicker and is better absorbed, thus they are hungry sooner. Formula takes longer to digest.

Absolutely find a pediatrician that *really* supports breastfeeding. This is a must. Many are completely clueless about it and still pass around misinformation. If you have difficulties contact a lactation consultant.

Also, latching takes time and practice for you and baby. Watch videos and look at diagrams on how to latch baby properly. If baby is not latch properly he will not transfer milk efficiently. If the latch and baby's suckling is more than just a little uncomfortable then the latch is not right. You should not be in pain. It's normal to have discomfort until your nipples toughen up, but not pain.

If you have serious issues with getting baby to latch have him/her checked for anterior and posterior tongue tie. Most, including LCs, are completely unfamiliar with posterior TT. The vast majority of peds are unaware that it exists. Even ENTs. Those that are familiar with it believe it could be a culprit in many of the cases where mom has a low supply and baby isn't receiving enough milk. Posterior TT is very easily missed and poses many struggles (this was the case with my 6 month old).
    Pax, Aeon
  10. Happily ever after, no matter what
    Happily ever after, no matter what
    Blog Entries
    The best thing I can say is "be patient"....for a lot of momma's BF is not as easy and picture perfect as they want you to think it is....it takes work and can be hard until you and baby get it down.

Aidan and I have been at it for nearly 2 months, and there are still some days where I panic and think that he is starving, or that he hates me, or that I just plain suck at being a mom, and other days things go like a dream.

This is our 4th baby, and this is the longest I have BF.....I always gave up too easily. Just relax and take it one feeding at a time

Wife to Jay, Momma to
    Chelsey
    (17) Thomas (13) Jake (9)
    Aidan (4)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast