Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: not latching/sucking

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

not latching/sucking

Advertisements
    ya know you would think trying to get this baby girl to latch/suck/breastfeed is torture the way she screams!! I know it's because she doesn't want to work for it and the bottle is so much easier but jeez! the milk is practically free flowing it ain't that hard to get little lady! Just SUCK!! Sorry I had to tell that to someone who would comprehend it because telling her this doesn't make her scream any less so I am just pumping and bottle feeding now *sigh* plus side is DH can feed her and let me get some sleep! anyone else have any non suckers out there?
  2. Senior Member
    Liam had some issues but it took me aawhile to adjust to the pump so he was screwed... He learned to latch, lol. Good luck hun and theres nothing wrong with the bottle. Can you get her to feed from a bottle so she isnt starving and then try again? Liam refused a bottle from hubby if I was in the room, he wanted the real thing apparently.
  3. Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    Mom with Messy House and Happy Kids!!
    I had a preemie daughter who was a non- sucker and we had to keep trying we had to even do a syringe to push milk into her mouth for awhile so she didnt get nipple confusion. (didnt matter she didnt suck the bottle well either) .

You can always try a nipple shield if you think that is the problem sometimes they suck better when you are using one I know my little boy did for a bit. kellymom.com :: Nipple shields Here is a great site for information on the sheild as well as nursing you can search it I know it saved my life when I was nursing my son and had questions and we nursed a total of 21 months If I can help you find anything please let me know Best of luck I know it is frustrating in the begining but the experience is such a rewarding one!!
  4. Senior Member
    Toby was born almost 4 weeks early and tongue tied, so breastfeeding was a struggle since day one. I tried to get him to latch right after he was born, but the poor thing just couldn't do it. After his bath, the nurse brought him in and we tried again and he still couldn't do it. FInally the nurse gave him a bottle and he took it. I wish I had known then about nipple confusion and more about breastfeeding, I was clueless. After that, it was really hard to get him to latch. I finally decided in the hospital to start pumping and just give him whatever I got out in bottles. I struggled with breastfeeding for 4 months until I finally gave up. He never actually nursed, even with a supplemental nursing system. I had to take Reglan to up my milk supply and pump. I did all that I could and he got my milk for 4 months, so I think that's pretty good.

It's frustrating, so don't beat yourself up over it! Any breastmilk is better than no breastmilk!
    Desiree

Zachery Tobias born December 10, 2009!
  5. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries
    I have a non sucker here. We tried and tried in the hospital. He just wouldn't even latch on to suck. So, bottle feeding is what we are doing now.. sigh.
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMrsJoann View Post
    I have a non sucker here. We tried and tried in the hospital. He just wouldn't even latch on to suck. So, bottle feeding is what we are doing now.. sigh.
    glad to hear it's not just me. I have resigned to pump and feeding. I hope to make it at least 6 months down, only 5 to go!
  7. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Emmalee would not latch at birth and for a few days after... I would try to get her to open her mouth and at least hand express, but it's like.. she just didn't GET it. OH I take it back--she DID latch and nurse immediately after birth, but we had trouble as we left the hospital. I went to see the lactation consultant and even she was baffled... she kept saying how I have PERFECT nipples. We did need to pump some off due to engorgement, but I'm sure that isn't your problem at this point. AND.. Emmalee had never had a bottle so it wasn't a preference issue. What ended up working for us was Medela nipple shields. The silicone gave her something a little more solid to latch onto.. and I would express a little milk into it so that as soon as she put her mouth on it, she got some milk and was encouraged to continue sucking. I would continue to try to latch her on WITHOUT the shield but she needed it at first.. and then I would start the nursing session with the shield, quickly remove the shield, and then latch her back on. Within a couple days she didn't need the shield at all.

The other option that I think might work well for you is a SNS (Supplemental Nursing System). Many mother use these when they don't produce enough milk--it's a very thin tube that you "tape" near your nipple and that way they're getting milk through the tube as they are latched onto your breast. You could use expressed breastmilk instead of formula, of course, and then she will start associating satisfaction with the breast again.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    Emmalee would not latch at birth and for a few days after... I would try to get her to open her mouth and at least hand express, but it's like.. she just didn't GET it. OH I take it back--she DID latch and nurse immediately after birth, but we had trouble as we left the hospital. I went to see the lactation consultant and even she was baffled... she kept saying how I have PERFECT nipples. We did need to pump some off due to engorgement, but I'm sure that isn't your problem at this point. AND.. Emmalee had never had a bottle so it wasn't a preference issue. What ended up working for us was Medela nipple shields. The silicone gave her something a little more solid to latch onto.. and I would express a little milk into it so that as soon as she put her mouth on it, she got some milk and was encouraged to continue sucking. I would continue to try to latch her on WITHOUT the shield but she needed it at first.. and then I would start the nursing session with the shield, quickly remove the shield, and then latch her back on. Within a couple days she didn't need the shield at all.

The other option that I think might work well for you is a SNS (Supplemental Nursing System). Many mother use these when they don't produce enough milk--it's a very thin tube that you "tape" near your nipple and that way they're getting milk through the tube as they are latched onto your breast. You could use expressed breastmilk instead of formula, of course, and then she will start associating satisfaction with the breast again.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
    thanks for all the suggestions! Unfortunately I have tried them all she is just a stubborn little girl! With the tubey thing she just licked the milk off... little punk!
  9. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    do you think you introduced a bottle too soon?

I know we almost had to introduce a bottle because DS wouldn't wake up to eat But we learned how to cup feed him. (where he actually sips out of a medicine cup!) It gave him enough milk to be able to wake up and latch on.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress