Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experienced BFing mothers needed

1. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.

Experienced BFing mothers needed

Advertisements
    I was wondering how hormones work with breastfeeding.

seeing that we don't get our periods, do we still get emotional once a month?

And if you don't get your period, does that mean you're don't ovulate?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    being postpartum, you will still get emotional for a while, similar to pregnancy but it is different for everyone. Some people do not. Depending on your body and how much/little you breastfeed you may get periods. With my first I did not ever get one, and when he was 15 months old I found out I was 3 months pregnant. You can ovulate before your first period. Most people's period come back after a year even if they are still breastfeeding because at that time the child is usually breastfeeding a lot less. Since my kids are so close together I breastfeed for almost five years straight (my first until the second was born and my second until a couple months past her 2nd birthday).

BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  3. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    You will ovulate BEFORE you get your first period when breastfeeding. I know many women who got pregnant without having a period--meaning they got pregnant the first time they ovulated (had they not gotten pregnant, they would have started their period).

And I started getting my period again at about 7 months post partum with both kids--not sure if it was related to them starting some solids or what.

Hormones can be all over the place, if you ask me. Get crazy once a month, twice, ten times a month, whatever.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

You can get your period while breast feeding and yes you can ovulate without your period, that is why most drs suggest you go on some type of bc around 6 weeks, even if you are bfing. Yes your hormones are still wacked up, that is why a bfing mama will cry at the drop of a hat.

Just wanted to add, that the first few days after delivery you are at your most fertile (even though you are bleeding)

5. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemiss View Post
    being postpartum, you will still get emotional for a while, similar to pregnancy but it is different for everyone. Some people do not. Depending on your body and how much/little you breastfeed you may get periods. With my first I did not ever get one, and when he was 15 months old I found out I was 3 months pregnant. You can ovulate before your first period. Most people's period come back after a year even if they are still breastfeeding because at that time the child is usually breastfeeding a lot less. Since my kids are so close together I breastfeed for almost five years straight (my first until the second was born and my second until a couple months past her 2nd birthday).
    your boobies.

Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    You will ovulate BEFORE you get your first period when breastfeeding. I know many women who got pregnant without having a period--meaning they got pregnant the first time they ovulated (had they not gotten pregnant, they would have started their period).

And I started getting my period again at about 7 months post partum with both kids--not sure if it was related to them starting some solids or what.

Hormones can be all over the place, if you ask me. Get crazy once a month, twice, ten times a month, whatever.
    I've just been on some weird high this morning. and last night I wanted to punch a hole in the wall.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by wcchick712 View Post
    your boobies.
    It's a good thing that little guy hails so low to the ground...that's right about where they are at now thanks to all that lovely bfeeding (but it was well worth it, believe me)!

BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  7. Senior Member
    I always get my period back immediately after birth and I EBF

GetSafeScents.com
    Now with even easier requirements to be a Scentsy Consultant!
    Thrifty Scentsy Tips | Join Scentsy| Jan is BBMB Month! | Grace Adele- 10% off this month!
    Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00 (those are zeros, not O's ) | PM me with your email for invite to new COACH Factory website!
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wcchick712 View Post
    I was wondering how hormones work with breastfeeding.

seeing that we don't get our periods, do we still get emotional once a month?

And if you don't get your period, does that mean you're don't ovulate?
    Hi!
    First of all, I would like to say I am not a mother but I was a lactation consultant. I am not a breast feeding nazi though like most of them I think what is best for mum is always best for bub.

While you're breast feeding, your body releases two hormones: oxytocin and prolactin, both of which will make you feel relaxed and nuturing towards your baby. For women who are postpartum and are on medication, its often suggested that they express their breast milk if they want to continue to breast feed because your body will be producing prolactin AND you will be getting it from the medication which could harm bub.

Anyway, when you first start breastfeeding (first two or so months), your body should produce a placebo effect so that you don't have hormonal in balances when it comes to mood. After the first two or three months your body will start to produce more and more estrogen to get you back into baby-making mode and to gear your body up into getting a period. During this time you should start to get a little moody, but if you don't, it's nothing to worry about. The placebo (especially from oxytocin) could just be strong! This is also why so many women 'love' babies. When we are exposed to infants (even those not our own) at length, our body thinks we have to feed that child and although it doesn't usually go as far to produce milk, it will often create oxytocin.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

Hi, I'm an AP Mama and have been breastfeeding my son for over six months. I've had a lot of support and education here in the Northwest and was taught a lot about breastfeeding before my son was born and in the hospital.

I recently asked my OB... can I get pregnant if I don't have my period? She said that it is possible because a period is the shedding of the lining which means you ovulated and the egg did not get fertilized. It is possible to ovulate, not know it because you haven't had a period and that first egg (or two) that drop after your period can become fertilized and result in a pregnancy.

Breastfeeding usually delays the menstruation cycle, but it's hard to tell when the egg drops. So yes, you can get pregnant without a period.

If you are trying to get pregnant... you could breastfeed less, increase solids, i.e. rice cereal and that can be enough for some women. Every body is different.

I hope that helps.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Okay never think that while you are breast feeding you can not get pregnant,lol, my best friend had a 4 month old and was breast feeding him when she got pregnant again. She did not have a period either.

The moods could be post partum. I had some of that with my daughter.

Good Luck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast