Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Food.

1. Senior Member

Baby Food.

Advertisements
    So I started feeding my daughter baby food a few weeks ago, I am making my own so I am going to the dr sears website. Everyone has so many different opinions on when to feed baby food, what kinds at certain times, how much, ect. So when my doctor and I talked about it she said feed her cereal and when she knows what she is doing introduce foods a week at a time. Don't give meat til 6 months. The Dr. Sears website says not to start until 6 months. So I am not sure if I should just continue giving her the 4 things dr sears says for 6 months. Or if I should add more, because the doctor didn't really say.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030500.asp

Right now I am feeding her Rice Cereal, Bananas, Pears, and Applesauce. I mix the Bananas with her Cereal. ( I don't even know that is the right thing to do)

What did you do with your baby(ies) I just want to get an idea of if I am doing the right thing or not.

TIA
    Last edited by Jessica♥; 05-11-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Added a link

Https://mommytograce.scentsy.us
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

You can mix fruit with the cereal, sometimes that helps (especially with banana) for them to experience the flavor without it being too strong. I was always told cereals, single fruit and single vegetables can be introduced between 4-6 mths, mixed fruit and veges and pasta 6-9 mths and meats at 9 mths. That's what I have always done with my kids. Some people don't feeding solids to their babies at all till 6 mths, so to give meats right away is not good.

3. Senior Member
    Also, no honey before 1 year.

I never really did cereal or mushed up food. If they could get it in their mouths, they could eat it. I mean, I wasn't like "Here's your steak, 2-month-old kid!", but instead of mushed up bananas, I'd offer a banana.
    It's true I must be going, but I swear I won't be long
    There isn't that much ocean between Boston and St. Johns
    -Great Big Sea, Boston and St. Johns
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by figment View Post
    Also, no honey before 1 year.

I never really did cereal or mushed up food. If they could get it in their mouths, they could eat it. I mean, I wasn't like "Here's your steak, 2-month-old kid!", but instead of mushed up bananas, I'd offer a banana.
    She doesn't have teeth, I really don't think that is my best option

5. Senior Member
    I think I started around 5 months with giving my son baby cereal. But yes doctors do recommend starting at 6 months. I've heard that you should introduce one group of a certain food color a week at a time so that way if your baby is allergic to something you'll know what it is. Like one week you can start with green (peas, green beens, etc) and the next week orange (carrots, squash, etc). My son never liked the meat baby foods but I think you should wait till like 8 months for that. Honestly, everyone is different, as long as your doctor doesn't object then just do what works for you.
  6. Senior Member
    My son is 5 months old and I started him on Stage 1 food. I always heard you should start with veggies. I talked to my Mom and she reccomended I start with carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, peas, and green beans. She told me to give him a veggie a day, that way if he has an allergic reaction, I would know what caused it. I give him half a jar a day at dinner time. So far he's had carrots and is doing great with them.
    Desiree

Zachery Tobias born December 10, 2009!
  7. Senior Member
    I just called my doctor, and she said that I shouldn't be giving fruits. But whats done is done. I got the answers I needed, and I will start veggies tomorrow. haha. It's like dieting, everyone has a different opinion.. I'm glad I am on the right track now, thanks for your help!

8. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    When I had my kids, the recommendation was to start solids between 4-6 months. Then the AAP started to recommend waiting til 6+ months. I think when I most recently looked it was back to at least 4-6 months LOL. Sheesh! I saw in your ticker that she's over 5 months old so I think you're fine to continue giving her cereal, fruits, and veggies as long as she's tolerating it well and seems interested. Solids are mostly for practice til 12 months anyway, as they should still be getting the bulk of their nutrients from breastmilk or formula. So I guess all I would recommend is to keep doing what you're doing... you're doing great... and just make sure you feed her breastmilk/formula before doing a solids feeding so that she fills up on the breastmilk/formula rather than the solids.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    When I had my kids, the recommendation was to start solids between 4-6 months. Then the AAP started to recommend waiting til 6+ months. I think when I most recently looked it was back to at least 4-6 months LOL. Sheesh! I saw in your ticker that she's over 5 months old so I think you're fine to continue giving her cereal, fruits, and veggies as long as she's tolerating it well and seems interested. Solids are mostly for practice til 12 months anyway, as they should still be getting the bulk of their nutrients from breastmilk or formula. So I guess all I would recommend is to keep doing what you're doing... you're doing great... and just make sure you feed her breastmilk/formula before doing a solids feeding so that she fills up on the breastmilk/formula rather than the solids.
    Oh, really.. I do the food then the breastmilk.. So that she learns how to eat well, and get that skill. I don't even give her a lot. I am making my own, so I put it in ice cube trays, and freeze them. I give her 2 of the ice cube molds. That is all.. It's not the equivalent of a jar of baby food. Ugh I feel like I am just doing things wrong.

10. Senior Member
    No girl your fine, making your own baby food and all that's so good! Most mom's don't even do that. My doctor told me not to give fruits first because since they are sweet then your baby will not want to eat vegetables after. Don't worry about it, you are doing great.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast