Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Lack of Breast milk. PLEASE HELP!

  1. Senior Member
    Jessica♥'s Avatar
    Jessica♥ is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Me: Virginia Beach :D
    Posts
    6,002
    #1

    Lack of Breast milk. PLEASE HELP!

    Advertisements
    My daughter will be 12 weeks tomorrow I have done nothing but breast feed. Formula really isn't an option for me if it doesnt have to be. She is only 9.2 pounds. She was 7.5 when she was born. The doctor said that she is getting enough and that she is healthy. But today she has been eating a lot like every hour. She normally eats every 4 hours. I am at the point in the day that I don't have anymore milk left to give her. I have been eating all day. I am so full I don't think I can eat anything else. I drink water all day long, but today I just don't feel like I have any milk left to give her.


    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my milk supply up so that I will be able to feed her for the rest of the day. I am just so upset, and I don't know what to do. It breaks my heart thinking I might have to buy some formula so that is can get what she needs today. Even if I did need to do that, I wouldn't even know what to buy. I am just so stressed about it all. I just want to be able to feed my baby.

    Please if you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.



    Https://mommytograce.scentsy.us
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    SandyKay's Avatar
    SandyKay is offline
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    32,613

    #2
    Oatmeal, fenugeek (sp), mothermilk tea are just a few things you can try. Oatmeal worked wonders for me. A bowl for breakfast and a few days later, they were FULL. I know some dr's may suggest giving them a little cereal because she may just be a hungry baby, but I wouldn't for atleast another few weeks. I also wouldn't demand feed. If she normally feeds every four hours, and she is demanding, make her wait atleast 3hrs, because your milk hasn't had enough time to build back up. Are you sure that she is hungry too? Maybe she has a tummy ache, or something else is wrong and she is just using feeding as a comfort Does she have a paci?


  3. Waiting Around
    Mac N Cheese's Avatar
    Mac N Cheese is offline
    Waiting Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,419
    Blog Entries
    1
    #3
    I think you just have to keep putting her to your boob.



    I don't know much about breastfeeding yet.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

  4. Senior Member
    Jessica♥'s Avatar
    Jessica♥ is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Me: Virginia Beach :D
    Posts
    6,002
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    Oatmeal, fenugeek (sp), mothermilk tea are just a few things you can try. Oatmeal worked wonders for me. A bowl for breakfast and a few days later, they were FULL. I know some dr's may suggest giving them a little cereal because she may just be a hungry baby, but I wouldn't for atleast another few weeks. I also wouldn't demand feed. If she normally feeds every four hours, and she is demanding, make her wait atleast 3hrs, because your milk hasn't had enough time to build back up. Are you sure that she is hungry too? Maybe she has a tummy ache, or something else is wrong and she is just using feeding as a comfort Does she have a paci?
    She has a paci she uses it all the time. She wants to suck her thumb but she isnt coordinated enough yet. So she uses it all the time. She won't take that when she's hungry. I eat oatmeal every other day. I didn't today. Maybe I will try eating some. I thought maybe it was gas. But burping her didnt work. I tried all the things that normally work.. So I should let her scream for 3 hours? My doctor told me not to even think about cereal til her 4 month appt and shes not even 3 months yet. So I wouldn't do that..



    Https://mommytograce.scentsy.us
  5. Waiting Around
    Mac N Cheese's Avatar
    Mac N Cheese is offline
    Waiting Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,419
    Blog Entries
    1
    #5
    Have you pumped any?
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

  6. Senior Member
    Blessed Ohana's Avatar
    Blessed Ohana is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Laughlin AFB,TX
    Posts
    12,382

    #6
    do you have any stored/expressed milk? if you have a pump, i'd feed her on one side and pump on the other...that way, both breasts are being stimulated and of course, breastmilk is a result of supply/demand. so if both breasts are being emptied, your body will respond by making more. now, whether extra milk comes in right away or not, is unknown...it could take a day or so. i'd say she may be going through a growth spurt and that's causing her to nurse more often. if she isn't upset at your breast then i'd let her demand feed and if there isn't anything there, there isn't. but sometimes, we think there isn't anything there and there is because babies are a lot better at emptying the breasts than we think. i hope everything calms down for you guys.
  7. Senior Member
    Genna's Avatar
    Genna is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    708
    #7
    The best thing you can do for your supply is to keep putting her at the breast and letting her nurse on demand- a long with staying hydrated. It is very normal for infants to nurse around the clock, she might be going through a growth spurt, or teething, or just having a bad day. Has she had normal wet diapers today?

    Please don't force her to wait and scream for 3 hours until the next "scheduled" feeding, not only can it ruin your supply, it can also have an affect on her trust in you to provide what she is asking (crying) for.
  8. Senior Member
    Jessica♥'s Avatar
    Jessica♥ is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Me: Virginia Beach :D
    Posts
    6,002
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by *Mackenzie* View Post
    Have you pumped any?
    I pump in the mornings and right before I go to bed because I work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blessed Ohana View Post
    do you have any stored/expressed milk? if you have a pump, i'd feed her on one side and pump on the other...that way, both breasts are being stimulated and of course, breastmilk is a result of supply/demand. so if both breasts are being emptied, your body will respond by making more. now, whether extra milk comes in right away or not, is unknown...it could take a day or so. i'd say she may be going through a growth spurt and that's causing her to nurse more often. if she isn't upset at your breast then i'd let her demand feed and if there isn't anything there, there isn't. but sometimes, we think there isn't anything there and there is because babies are a lot better at emptying the breasts than we think. i hope everything calms down for you guys.

    My mom said the same thing. I am just afraid she isn't getting what she needs.



    Https://mommytograce.scentsy.us
  9. Senior Member
    Jessica♥'s Avatar
    Jessica♥ is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Me: Virginia Beach :D
    Posts
    6,002
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Genna View Post
    The best thing you can do for your supply is to keep putting her at the breast and letting her nurse on demand- a long with staying hydrated. It is very normal for infants to nurse around the clock, she might be going through a growth spurt, or teething, or just having a bad day. Has she had normal wet diapers today?

    Please don't force her to wait and scream for 3 hours until the next "scheduled" feeding, not only can it ruin your supply, it can also have an affect on her trust in you to provide what she is asking (crying) for.
    I don't think I could let her " cry it out" regardless of the circumstance. Yes her diapers are as wet as normal.



    Https://mommytograce.scentsy.us
  10. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    SandyKay's Avatar
    SandyKay is offline
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    32,613

    #10
    I will clarify what I said. NO I would not let her scream for 3 hours, however after 3 kids and another on the way, sometimes you do need to let them "cry-it-out" (let her cry 2-3 mins, go in and comfort her, put her back down, let her cry a little longer, go in agaoin, etc). Her crying and you getting frustrated CAN effect your milk supply and also stress you out, as can if you are trying to feed her and you have no milk. I honestly DO NOT believe in DEMAND feeding. It can lead to a pattern of demand feeding which isn't good for either of you. If you have som milk storage, give her a bottle and see if that settles her. If you are really worried call your dr for some advice


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •