Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 months and not sleeping through the night?

1. Many of the things that can never be, often are.
    Many of the things that can never be, often are.

9 months and not sleeping through the night?

Advertisements
    Is there anything i can do to help my son sleep through the nights better? He currently gets up about 2 times to eat still. he's 9 months old, I would figure maybe once, but twice? still? really? I'm sleep deprived and I don't think I can make it much longer :/ Any advice or at least encouragement please!!!

"So, after tech school are they going to deport you?"
    "...*silence*... No babe... they aren't going to deport me..."
  2. Junior Member
    Normally kiddos set their own schedule depending upon what they need... some kids are just more difficult than others. It took FOREVER for my daughter to decide that 0530 wasn't the BESTEST time ever to wake up and start our day.

You could try adjusting his feeding times and his daytime naptimes though. Is he waking at the same times during the night? Or is it just whenever he wakes up randomly he decides that he should eat too?

though. It's tough when you're sleep-deprived.
    Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?
  3. Regular Member
    With both my boys, it fluctuated. James would sleep through the night at 6 weeks (once I stopped eating oatmeal), and then he started waking up again around the 8 month marker). Off and on we'd have spells of sleeping through the night, and then waking up a couple of times a night. My youngest, Justin, was like that too. He'll go through periods where he wakes up in the night and wants a sippy cup, and banana, and then he'll go to sleep again. Other nights he'll sleep straight through. We started night weaning him in December, and so my dh had to take care of the times he would get up in the night. It's hit or miss now, but I'm hoping that since he's about to have his second b-day that there will be less waking. Although, based on how my now four year old was at that age, I'm not holding my breath.
    Christina, WAHM to James (4) and Justin (2),and our angel Julia 7-28-10. I specialize in all things sewn, especially military apparel for children: http://www.hyenacart.com/creativemamas
    http://www.craftsbychristina.etsy.com
  4. Many of the things that can never be, often are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallasrocks View Post
    Normally kiddos set their own schedule depending upon what they need... some kids are just more difficult than others. It took FOREVER for my daughter to decide that 0530 wasn't the BESTEST time ever to wake up and start our day.

You could try adjusting his feeding times and his daytime naptimes though. Is he waking at the same times during the night? Or is it just whenever he wakes up randomly he decides that he should eat too?

though. It's tough when you're sleep-deprived.
    hmm, as far as him being on a schedule he used to be on a set one, but the past few weeks have been for him. atm, I think he's got another tooth comin in, so I'm not going to change anything drastically at night yet or anything, but that's also why I think his schedules been awol, he's getting back to just waking up 2 or 3 times, usually between 12 and 2 and 3 and 5 are his 2 wake up times, he'll throw the 3rd one in there randomly usually around 6 am.

We currently just feed him whenever he is hungry and at night he falls asleep with his bottle and me rocking him. Should I do more to set a feeding schedule for him? would that help? I've always been an "at will" feeder idk even how I would set a feeding schedule..

5. Senior Member
    Do you feed him before bed? I would mix some cereal in with my breast milk and give it to DD before bed. I don't care WHO came up with the bright idea to advise against it; It always worked for me.
    It could also have something to do with teething. The Hyland's teething products usually worked pretty well for me and DD.
    Does he wake up fussing and crying, or is it just awake time in his crib? Sometimes, if he doesn't sound distressed, you can let him do whatever he feels needs doing (don't turn on the light or anything) and he will put himself back to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by mandizzle View Post
    Please don't piss on my shoes. They'll get all sticky and junk
  6. Many of the things that can never be, often are.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootysGirl View Post
    Do you feed him before bed? I would mix some cereal in with my breast milk and give it to DD before bed. I don't care WHO came up with the bright idea to advise against it; It always worked for me.
    It could also have something to do with teething. The Hyland's teething products usually worked pretty well for me and DD.
    Does he wake up fussing and crying, or is it just awake time in his crib? Sometimes, if he doesn't sound distressed, you can let him do whatever he feels needs doing (don't turn on the light or anything) and he will put himself back to sleep.

, he's been eating before bedtime, with oatmeal with it, since Idk when, he's been oatmeal since he was 2 or 3 months... we've even tried feedig him large meals before bedtime but usually he doesn't want to eat anything but his botte before bed and well if he doesn't want to eat he isn't going to eat, I've tried coaxing him into eating and nope... lol. and yes, when he wakes up it's always fussyand crying. there were a select few times he didn't and believe me, I left him int here until he got fussy. I always do, sometimes he wakes up and wiggles around for about 5 minutes and then decides he wants food and starts screaming. I refuse to go in there until he starts screaming but my mom suggested if I hear him squirming to go try to pat him back to sleep and maybe he won't get to that "I'm hungry" stage, anyone have any luck with that method??

7. Junior Member
    Hmmm. I have no idea. I fed the spawn "at will" too. From your post with the times, it does sound kinda like he's just waking up and being bored and figured out that if he screams he will get attention and a bottle (BABY JACKPOT...HECK YES!). I'm not there though and I don't know his cries like you do. It could be just a combo of him teething and waking up and realizing that it hurts. I have no idea. Good luck with it though.
    Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?
  8. Senior Member
    Oh man...Cris is 18 months and just finally started sleeping through the night. I am not an expert on this. lol
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Recruiting Station Des Moines PCS Moline, Il
    I have a 10 month old and I'm having the exact same problem! He wakes up at least twice and then he wakes up around 6 for good. I'm exhausted! He used to sleep through the night and then about a month ago he got sick so I let him get away with feeding in the night and then sleeping with us and now I think he's just gotten used to it. So I'm trying really hard not to spoil him.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Alec is about 8 months and he is having the same problem. I believe it has to do with his teething right now. I am just like you though in wanting to pull my hair out from lack of sleep!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast