Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co Sleeping.

1. Senior Member

Co Sleeping.

Advertisements
    I know that this is a big debate if it is okay, or if it's not okay. Grace is going to be 2 months old on friday. She sleeps in her bassinet for naps, and for most of the night. Up until about 3am when she wakes up to eat. Then she just won't go back in her bassinet.

The past few days she has been only taking about an hour nap twice a day, and I am afraid it is because she sleeps with me for about 4 hours every night. I know every mother is different and I know every baby is different. About 50% of parents in america let their babies co sleep til they are about 4 - 6 months old. My sister did it with my nephew for about 9 months. One of my friends did it for a few months then tried to get her daughter to sleep in a crib and she just wont do it. She is 11 months old now, and still sleeping in her parents bed. I don't want my daughter to not be able to sleep in her crib. So I think I need to try to get her to sleep in her bassinet everytime she sleeps.

So I was wondering how I should go about doing it. I hate to put her in there and have her cry.

Some people have a strong feeling about co sleeping and how it is wrong. But if you don't have any advice for me, please don't tell me how you think it is wrong and how you don't agree with me. I am simply looking for advice.

TIA

Https://mommytograce.scentsy.us
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I think everything is fine. She's too young for you to be letting her cry it out. Most don't even suggest that till 6months.
    You just need to set a point in which you feel comfortable taking her out of your bed and never looking back. Don't back track and do it and say oh its just this one time. It will confuse the baby.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think it's fine. Babies schedules are forever changing. My 'own' personal feelings are that, the only reason I would move a baby to their own bed full time is if I felt that it would become a huge struggle. We made it a point on the nights where DH and I wanted alone DS would sleep in his crib all night. But otherwise, he was a co-sleeper until he was about 14 months old. By then, he's just a huge crowder and 3 of us on a full bed (what we had then) was no fun. But I think because he DID spend time in his crib every now and again and that is where he went for naps usually, he ended up never having any adjustment problems. He pretty much went from a co-sleeper to a big boy bed of his own when he was 14 months old. But you are mom, you know best.

I think because she IS sleeping in a bassinet at some point...she's fine. But that is for you to decide.
  4. Senior Member

omg! i didn't even know you were preggers! congrats on your baby girl! as for co-sleeping, i did it with both boys (by accident) until they were both around 3 months old. i would get up to nurse them during the night and end up just laying them on my chest and going to sleep. they would sleep longer that way as well. i'm a very light sleeper and always had myself propped where i couldn't roll over or anything so it was very natural to just sleep with them. it wasn't hard at all to move them to their cribs at 3 months. they were both very easy and slept right away in them. i think that sometimes there just isn't separation anxiety between baby and momma good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  5. Senior Member
    First of all, regardless of what you decide, your child will be fine. There isn't going to be a point where your child CANT sleep in her own bed. She might not like the transition too much, but she'll eventually sleep.

I have two children (with a third on the way), and with my first child, I did not do co-sleeping at all. With my second, he slept about half the night with me every night until he could sit up. The reason I chose to let him sleep with me was because he threw up everything he consumed until he was eating actual food. Eventually the doctors said it was probably reflux, but I digress... The point is, I was terrified he'd throw up while I was sleeping and choke or have to sleep in it. Ew. So he was a co-sleeper. Neither of my children really resisted sleeping in their own beds much, and they're perfectly fine for my choices.

My advice is this: Do what you want when you want to do it. You don't have to only co-sleep, or only not. Pull that darling girl into your arms if you feel like it, put her in the bassinet when you don't. If she ends up in your bed every night (or never), she'll still be perfectly fine.

I will say, though, that my memories of snuggling down in the covers with my two month old son at 3 am are some of the fondest memories I have.
    "No matter how much your heart is aching, there is beauty in the breaking."

Start the countdown, he comes home soon!
  6. Senior Member
    both my girls were in our bed until about 3 months. Then Dagan put his foot down and insisted they sleep in their own beds. It was a easy transition for us. They would both fuss a bit, but then wed go in, soothe them, and they would fall asleep. Now I wouldnt have it any other way, because they are both squirmers in their sleep.

No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    hey. my daughter (now 18 months) also had a funky sleeping time when she was very young. for me it was her naps, I couldn't get her to sleep in her crib (around 2.5 months?) and all I remember is her loving to sleep in her vibrating bouncy and she'd sleep about 2 hours. Advice? Any sleep is better then no sleep for sure! And it's nice bonding that you two can share, her sleeping and snuggling with you which will be down before you know it! They grow sooo fast. I think it's very OK for her to sleep with you after her early feeding but I read above (and agree with) once you decide it's done, not to go back. I know for sure I've thought 'it's just this once' and my daughter knew that about me and when I'd try to break that habit, it was more hard on me then her. Good luck!
  8. Senior Member
    I feel kind of guilty because I get a lot of crap for letting her sleep with me. But after reading all of your advice and reading up about it on babycenter.com it is more common than I thought. My stepmother makes me feel like a horrible person for doing this!

But my problem is she WONT take her naps during the day. She was sleeping at the same time every day and sleeping 2 hours at both naps. Now she will fall asleep but when I put her in her bassinet she sleeps in there for about 10 minutes and wakes up and wont go back to sleep unless I put her in the sling I have, or if I am holding her. I can't get anything done that way. And I also don't want it to become a habit that " If I cry I don't have to sleep in this bassinet" So I wasn't sure if that is because I let her sleep with me at night.

9. Junior Member
    I think you're doing fine. Every baby and every family is different. There really isn't a right or wrong or time limit on co-sleeping. My daughter would sleep in her crib until she woke up for her morning feeding (around 3ish). It also coincided when my ex was getting off work and calling (I was stateside, he was in Japan). So then we would talk while she ate, then go back to sleep until about 5:30 when he would call again and wake us up for the day. You just have to find your own routines and stick with them.
    Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallasrocks View Post
    I think you're doing fine. Every baby and every family is different. There really isn't a right or wrong or time limit on co-sleeping. My daughter would sleep in her crib until she woke up for her morning feeding (around 3ish). It also coincided when my ex was getting off work and calling (I was stateside, he was in Japan). So then we would talk while she ate, then go back to sleep until about 5:30 when he would call again and wake us up for the day. You just have to find your own routines and stick with them.
    That is pretty much our schedule as well. Minus the phone calls. Haha my only problem is naps. She doesn't want to nap like she was before unless I am holding her or she is in her sling. I don't want to form bad habits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast