Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biting and breastfeeding

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Biting and breastfeeding

Advertisements
    So my son is 10mo and is just now getting his first tooth. He is constantly biting me. So I was just wondering what everyone else does when this happens.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    When my DS does that, I take him off, say no bite. Let him latch back on. If he does it again, he goes down and is done for awhile.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Delatch your baby, I use to tap my son's mouth and say no bite. It seemed to work out for us.
  4. Member
    Christopher still does it on occasion. I say Ouch, let him latch again, if he does it again I take him off. If he does it during a night feeding, he loses the boob the first time.
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    When my DS does that, I take him off, say no bite. Let him latch back on. If he does it again, he goes down and is done for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma*Becca View Post
    Delatch your baby, I use to tap my son's mouth and say no bite. It seemed to work out for us.
    I used to do a combination of these. I've also heard that if you press your babies face to your breast quickly, it will make the baby unlatch from the nose being covered. It doesn't hurt the baby, but it relates biting to momentary loss of breath.

I've never done it personally (my reaction is always to get the baby off of me) but I've heard from other's , including a LLL Leader that it works.
    Christina, WAHM to James (4) and Justin (2),and our angel Julia 7-28-10. I specialize in all things sewn, especially military apparel for children: http://www.hyenacart.com/creativemamas
    http://www.craftsbychristina.etsy.com
  6. Junior Member
    Yup. Just delatch them somehow. Be consistent (it's kinda hard not to when they freaking bite your nipple) and they'll learn.
    Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?
  7. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ncfjj View Post
    I used to do a combination of these. I've also heard that if you press your babies face to your breast quickly, it will make the baby unlatch from the nose being covered. It doesn't hurt the baby, but it relates biting to momentary loss of breath.

I've never done it personally (my reaction is always to get the baby off of me) but I've heard from other's , including a LLL Leader that it works.
    I don't think so...
  8. Senior Member
    Originally Posted by ncfjj

I've never done it personally (my reaction is always to get the baby off of me) but I've heard from other's , including a LLL Leader that it works

Originally posted by Decks
    I don't think so...

Actually what they mean by that is to give them the quickest hug toward you and release. It breaks their concentration and they generally let go because they are startled. They don't mean press the baby into your breast and hold them there.

If you are uncomfortable with the quick hug, then taking them off the breast works for some---others get frustrated and bite more.
    Sometimes saying their name sharply with "No bite" after works well although some of the babies think it is a game and laugh.
    Then all you can do is put them down and let them know that they can't bite and then try again in a few minutes.
    For me, it worked to say his name and touch/tap his nose (like when your teaching the body parts) and say "No bite". Took about 3 or 4 times and he stopped biting altogether.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  9. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    Originally Posted by ncfjj

I've never done it personally (my reaction is always to get the baby off of me) but I've heard from other's , including a LLL Leader that it works

Originally posted by Decks
    I don't think so...

Actually what they mean by that is to give them the quickest hug toward you and release. It breaks their concentration and they generally let go because they are startled. They don't mean press the baby into your breast and hold them there.

If you are uncomfortable with the quick hug, then taking them off the breast works for some---others get frustrated and bite more.
    Sometimes saying their name sharply with "No bite" after works well although some of the babies think it is a game and laugh.
    Then all you can do is put them down and let them know that they can't bite and then try again in a few minutes.
    For me, it worked to say his name and touch/tap his nose (like when your teaching the body parts) and say "No bite". Took about 3 or 4 times and he stopped biting altogether.

Okay...that sounds better that way you explained it. All I could see in my head was this little baby being suffocated...
  10. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by decks View Post
    Okay...that sounds better that way you explained it. All I could see in my head was this little baby being suffocated...

I know lots of my guy friends that would love to be suffocated by boobs. boys are weird...
    Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast