Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do babies start talking?

1. Senior Member

When do babies start talking?

Advertisements
    Carter is 7 months has a couple words. He says mama and dada, shakes his head no, flails his head yes, and also waves. He does high fives too

But when do they start talking? When is it normal to start saying words and phrases?
  2. Senior Member
    Every kid is differnt....I ws talking by the time I was 13 months...my little brother didn't say a word until he was 3.

My DD is almost 19 months and uses words but not phrases...and not many words, only a handful.

Kaiden Matthew Baby #2
  3. Finally Happy <3
    Finally Happy &amp;amp;lt;3
    I think it varies a lot!

I know a couple kids Carters age (lol, my Carter .. 18 months) who are talking a lot and a few who say nothing..

C says mommy, daddy, dog, duck, bath, ball, "Tickle, Tickle" , eat, please, and other similar words but no phrases or sentences
    Gearing up for deployment #2
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlye<3Sailor View Post
    I think it varies a lot!

I know a couple kids Carters age (lol, my Carter .. 18 months) who are talking a lot and a few who say nothing..

C says mommy, daddy, dog, duck, bath, ball, "Tickle, Tickle" , eat, please, and other similar words but no phrases or sentences
    tickle tickle How cute!!!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My first son didn't start regularly using phrases and talking until a little after his 2nd birthday. He would occasionally say a word here and there, but he didn't start stringing things together until 2. I wasn't able to really have a conversation with him until he was nearly 3. He didn't show any signs of disability... he just had no interest in talking, whatsoever. Now he's almost 4 and I can never get him to be quiet. "Why?" "How come?" "What's that?" "What happened?" "Where?"

My second son was having conversations with me at age 2.

And my 6 week old, well... he reads novels outloud to me.
  6. Army Wife
    Army Wife
    My 17 month old won't talk. He says two words, and I don't even know that he says them on purpose. He says "dad" which he has yelled at my DH as he is leaving the room; and he says "tickle tickle" but only if I am tickling him and say it first. My DS was so advanced on everything else, but when it comes to talking he just won't do it. I don't know why. I think it's stubbornness to be honest. He understands what we are saying. I tell him to get something and he does. I tell him to point to certain things and he does. He shakes his head no when I ask him if he wants something. He jumps up and down for things he does want. His pediatrician suggested speech therapy if he isn't talking by 18 months. I think I am going to take her up on that. I have heard of a lot of kids not talking until age 2 though and being really smart and good talkers once they do. I hope it's the case with my son.
    I LOVE my Army man!
  7. Surviving deployment #2
    Surviving deployment #2
    Blog Entries
    Every child is different. DS1 didnt speak till he was 2! DS2 was speaking at 9 months!
    ZOE
  8. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I thought it was average for babies to start saying their first words at 12 months. But I could be wrong!
  9. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    It's hard to say, honestly - "baby talk" starts earlier than "conversation" - and it's a slow progression as they learn more words and start to speak more clearly.

My 2nd son "baby talked" up until he was 3.
    My youngest, though, babytalked up until he was one and after that it was short-sentences and so on.
  10. You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlye<3Sailor View Post
    I think it varies a lot!

My son is just about Carter's age - and they play together a lot...

And while Carter talks (and man, it is SO cute!) My little guys just about nothing.

Wes didn't even say Mama until he was 14 months old. It was just Dada.

His Dr. has put him in speech therapy, which I don't actually think is necessary (I think he'll catch up in his own time!) but it is a lot of fun for him and it gets us out of the house. So, I think it's good in that respect!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast