Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping through the night

1. Senior Member

Sleeping through the night

Advertisements
    I was just wondering if you all had any tips on encouraging a baby to sleep through the night. Right now my daughter is on a schedule of feedings every 4 hours. She takes 4 ounces at every bottle and does really well with that. I feed her at 10pm and she's like an alarm at around 2am ready to be fed again. It doesn't take a long time to change her and get her another bottle. I'm usually back to bed in 30 minutes. I was just curious about things you ladies have tried that have worked to encourage your baby to sleep for longer periods of time at night. I don't mind doing what we're doing now, but I would also like to start working towards her being able to sleep for longer stretches so that when I go back to work we are on a better schedule. I realize that I've programmed her to the schedule that she's on currently, but I just needed so ideas on this. Thanks in advance...
    Mommyof2in09 is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey
  2. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    According to your ticker, she is only two weeks old. Give her a few more weeks before you expect her to sleep through the night.
  3. .
    Quote Originally Posted by *tina* View Post
    According to your ticker, she is only two weeks old. Give her a few more weeks before you expect her to sleep through the night.
    Agree
    She's only 2 weeks old. Lorelai didn't start sleeping through the night until 6 weeks and that was all on her own. I think it may had to do with us both falling asleep at night while breastfeeding. She's wake up I'd latch her on and fall asleep(not on purpose) and she wouldn't cry or anything for a few hours and eventually I stopped breastfeeding and she only took one bottle at night for about a week or so and then boom stopped waking up.

She sleeps 11-8 or 11-9 now.

REMEMBER OPSEC AND PERSEC WHEN POSTING!!

4. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Many babies don't sleep through the night for many months. She is very young to be expected to sleep through the night.
  5. Senior Member
    My baby is almost 5 months now. She started sleeping through the night at exactly 8 weeks. There was nothing I did or didn't do. I always follow the same bedtime routine.

pajamas, new diaper, nursing, bed. If she falls asleep while nursing great. If not thats fine too. I'll lay her in bed and she goes to sleep on her own without any fuss. If she wakes up in the night I keep the lights off (she has a night light in her room) and don't talk to her. I simply nurse her and lay her back in bed. When she was tiny I'd have to change her diaper. I don't now unless shes wet through.

I'm not sure theres anyway to teach your baby to sleep through the night. I think its just something they do. I think the conditions have a lot to do with it. I'd assume if you turn on lights and talk to baby every time they wake up they wont understand night is for quiet and sleeping daytime is for fun and talking.
  6. LT
    DS was sleeping through the night at 3 months, all i did was make sure when he did wake up for feedings i had minimum light and i did not interact with him other than to change, feed and burp him and he was immediatly put back down to sleep, if he didn't wake for a feeding i didn't bother waking him either.
  7. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    You are trying to get a 2 week old to sleep through the night??

There really is no way to "teach" a baby to sleep.
  8. Senior Member
    DD started sleepin through the night around 3 months old. And there was nothing we "did" to help influence her to sleep longer...she just went from waking up every 4 hours to sleeping through the night in one night. 2 weeks is still VERY early to be worrying about sleeping through the night. They seem to catch on to how things work on their own!

Kaiden Matthew Baby #2
  9. Senior Member
    I'm really not worried about trying to get her to sleep through the night at this point. I'm just curious about ways that others have achieved this at any age. At two weeks old I realize that her sleeping through the night is not likely and am not stressed out about trying to make that happen. I just want to establish a good routine to encourage her to have healthy sleep patterns and habits. She's an extrememly easy baby and I certainly don't want people to mistake my questions with the wrong impression. I don't mind getting up with her in the middle of the night at all. I also know that I slept through the night from the first night my parents brought me home and some babies don't sleep through the night until they are months old. Like I said, I was just curious as to ways this has happened for others...
    Mommyof2in09 is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey
  10. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    is she formula fed? i've heard that formula babies sleep through the night sooner than BF babies.

my dd is BF, and she started sleeping for 6 hour stretches at exactly 8 weeks, luckily the exact day i went back to work! sleeping for 6 hours is considered "sleeping through the night", but we put her to bed at 8:30, so i still have to get up around 2-3am to feed her. every once in a blue moon, she will sleep until 4 or 5:30, when i get up for work.
    2 weeks is way early to start thinking about sleeping through the night! right now she needs the nourishment every 4 hours, it's not that you've programmed her. all babies have their own pattern. be patient, and it's best if you accept that you might have to get up with her even when you go back to work. i've been doing it for over a month now, and it's not so bad.

hopefully she'll be good for you and sleep through when you're ready to return to work.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast