Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bed time help!

1. 웃♥유
    웃♥유
    Born and raised in Cleveland Ohio, but currently in Oklahoma City.

Help Bed time help!

Advertisements
    Ok I need to know how you guys get your kiddos to sleep at night? Adrian normally sleeps in his swing or on my DH's chest till we go to sleep and then we let him sleep with us at night. But lately we have been trying to put him in his playpen swaddled at night until we go to bed. But he just cries and cries. We have a normal routine and I know this is a bit different for him.. But I just need suggestions or something. Do you let your kids cry it out when putting them to bed? what works for you? TIA
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I started putting Jace in his own crib when he was about 1 month old, but I would nurse him and then rock him to sleep. When he was 2 months old I started letting him CIO during the day. It took about 2 days for him to realize that once I laid him in his crib that he needed to sleep. After that he would rustle around a little, but he would put himself to sleep and he seemed to relate his crib to napping/sleeping because after that, he would not sleep anywhere else.. not even in my arms. Now, at 7 months old, he wants to be put to bed when he is tired. I can take him to his room and when he sees the crib he starts rubbing his eyes and lays down happily without a sound.

I know some people are against CIO, or just CIO at young ages. But, I have done it with all 3 of my babies and it has paid off nicely. They have all been easy sleepers.
  3. Senior Member
    With my 3 1/2 yr old, she slept with us.. and I have broken the habit a couple times, but she always ends up back in my bed.. (im working on it again.. LOL).. my 2 1/2 yr old, he has always slept in his crib.. he started sleeping with me when we moved, but he is back in his bed, just fine.
    We have done CIO with both of them. Im a weiner tho, and I have to physically go outside, because I can't stand to hear them cry. The first time we did it (my older one was 10 months old, and needed to sleep in her bed, because I was 7 months pregnant)... The first night, she cried 40 minutes!! (they say to go back in and check on them, but this made it worse!), the next night 20 minutes, then 10, then after that it was the occasional 3 minutes here and there.
    my sexy beast.. and me
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    You just have to get him used to his new routine. Kylee used to sleep on the couch until I went to bed, but now she goes in her pack n play and usually is out within 10 minutes. The first couple nights were a little rought, but I just had to go in a couple times and give her her paci back, or (very rarely) sing her to sleep.
  5. 웃♥유
    웃♥유
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzle Mizzle View Post
    I started putting Jace in his own crib when he was about 1 month old, but I would nurse him and then rock him to sleep. When he was 2 months old I started letting him CIO during the day. It took about 2 days for him to realize that once I laid him in his crib that he needed to sleep. After that he would rustle around a little, but he would put himself to sleep and he seemed to relate his crib to napping/sleeping because after that, he would not sleep anywhere else.. not even in my arms. Now, at 7 months old, he wants to be put to bed when he is tired. I can take him to his room and when he sees the crib he starts rubbing his eyes and lays down happily without a sound.

I know some people are against CIO, or just CIO at young ages. But, I have done it with all 3 of my babies and it has paid off nicely. They have all been easy sleepers.

See I never put Adrian in his crib because he screams and screams and holds his breath and it scares the crap out of me. I only put him in there during the day sometimes and he watches his mobile for a little while. But he never sleeps in there. He's been sleeping with us since he was born and we have him used to that. I wouldn't mind him sleeping with us at night but we go to bed kind of late and I want Adrian in bed sooner, so we tried his play pen. But its not working. I let him CIO for like 6 minutes and then I give in. Ugh its just frustrating.
  6. 웃♥유
    웃♥유
    Yeah I am sure he will get used to it.. But I just hate to hear him cry.. He just fell asleep in there but I had to rock the whole pack and play before he even began to close his eyes and I am sure he will wake up crying in like 5 minutes because he fell asleep without his paci in his mouth.
  7. Senior Member
    The mobile we have is a lifesaver. It lights up, spins, and plays music. Normally if we put him in there tired he will watch it and then he will go to sleep.

That being said, we did let him cry it out. He really only cried the first couple nights. He cried about 20 minutes. After that he started falling asleep on his own without a fuss. He still cries occasionally, but most of the time it is more like whining and it only lasts a couple minutes.

If we put him in his crib already awake and he wakes up he freaks out, I think he gets scared because he fell asleep on us and then all of a sudden we arent there. We have much better luck putting him in there slightly awake and letting him fall asleep.

He also sleeps better now that he can move around more. Most of the time he rolls himself on his side and curls himself up.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauna. View Post
    Yeah I am sure he will get used to it.. But I just hate to hear him cry.. He just fell asleep in there but I had to rock the whole pack and play before he even began to close his eyes and I am sure he will wake up crying in like 5 minutes because he fell asleep without his paci in his mouth.
    I totally understand. I very rarely let Ky CIO and it's only if there's really nothing I can do to stop her, KWIM? Even then I only let her cry for 5 minutes before I go try to soothe her. I always said I'd have no problem letting her CIO, but I just can't do it.
  9. 웃♥유
    웃♥유
    Quote Originally Posted by xocassandralee View Post
    The mobile we have is a lifesaver. It lights up, spins, and plays music. Normally if we put him in there tired he will watch it and then he will go to sleep.

That being said, we did let him cry it out. He really only cried the first couple nights. He cried about 20 minutes. After that he started falling asleep on his own without a fuss. He still cries occasionally, but most of the time it is more like whining and it only lasts a couple minutes.

If we put him in his crib already awake and he wakes up he freaks out, I think he gets scared because he fell asleep on us and then all of a sudden we arent there. We have much better luck putting him in there slightly awake and letting him fall asleep.

He also sleeps better now that he can move around more. Most of the time he rolls himself on his side and curls himself up.
    I guess I am going to let him fuss and hopefully he will get used it.

Quote Originally Posted by navywifey514 View Post
    I totally understand. I very rarely let Ky CIO and it's only if there's really nothing I can do to stop her, KWIM? Even then I only let her cry for 5 minutes before I go try to soothe her. I always said I'd have no problem letting her CIO, but I just can't do it.
    Its soooo hard to let him cry. But its time for him to get to bed at a decent hour instead of him sleeping on us till 12am ya know?
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauna. View Post
    I guess I am going to let him fuss and hopefully he will get used it.

Its soooo hard to let him cry. But its time for him to get to bed at a decent hour instead of him sleeping on us till 12am ya know?
    The first couple times he cried for 20 minutes. I used to try to let him fuss but Id give it 5 minutes and then go get him.

If hes fed, changed, and been given plently of lovins all day theres nothing wrong with trying it for a couple nights to see how it goes. Thats what I figure anyways.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast