Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeling like a single parent

1. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

Feeling like a single parent

Advertisements
    My dh has staff duty today so I been home all by myself taking care of my little one. He is teething and going crazy, anything near his mouth is going to plunge in if I donít get it before him. I feel so bad and I am tired I gave him some hylands teething tablets and it works for awhile but thatís it. Itís times like this I wish I had some help. I just want to break down sometimes because itís hard doing it all by myself. I can imagine what single parents go through and parents that deploy and their spouse that have to be the single parent. Just had to vent a little I am just a little stressed.

Any advice about a teething baby, I tried the teething ring (cold) Binky and hylands.
  2. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBianchini View Post
    My dh has staff duty today so I been home all by myself taking care of my little one. He is teething and going crazy, anything near his mouth is going to plunge in if I donít get it before him. I feel so bad and I am tired I gave him some hylands teething tablets and it works for awhile but thatís it. Itís times like this I wish I had some help. I just want to break down sometimes because itís hard doing it all by myself. I can imagine what single parents go through and parents that deploy and their spouse that have to be the single parent. Just had to vent a little I am just a little stressed.

Any advice about a teething baby, I tried the teething ring (cold) Binky and hylands.
    Single parent? Hardly.

Talk to the doctor but I would think you could give him some Tylenol for children. Also let him chew on a cold damp washcloth.
  3. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    Have you tried letting him chew on a wet wash cloth? How old is he? Matt loves chewing on frozen waffles when he's teething. Just be careful if you do decide to give him a waffle. Make sure you break up any big chunks he bites off so he doesn't choke.

I understand what you're going through. It's really hard, especially because you have to be a "single" parent yet still be married.
  4. LT
    That's the second time i have heard that lately, as i told my friend, be an actual single parent then tell me how it feels.
    That being said, i really hope your baby finds some comfort, teething is tough on baby and mommy
  5. Senior Member
    I give tylenol if teething tablets dont work. I also wet a washcloth and put it in the freezer then let him chomp on it.

How old is your baby? Cold peices of cut up fruit in a mesh feeder are also good.

Ive found that distraction and keeping baby busy is the best bet overall.
  6. Senior Member
    Yeah I would try some Tylenol... Anything cold will help... I used to let mine gnaw (if they didn't already have teeth) on my knuckle... They loved it...

Sorry your having a rough time... Do you work? Or are you home all day with the baby? Do you ever get free time? We need that... even if its just an hour or two...
    my sexy beast.. and me
  7. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    He's 5months almost 6. I am going to try the wash cloth. Everyone thinks it's easy but they do not realize we do not have our family to walk come over and help. DH is always tired from pt to work and i do not want just give him ethan when he is in pain and screaming. I can't be like that. I never heard of the waffle but i need to get some lol.
  8. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    That's the second time i have heard that lately, as i told my friend, be an actual single parent then tell me how it feels.
    That being said, i really hope your baby finds some comfort, teething is tough on baby and mommy
    No snark intended but can you honestly tell me how it's really that different from being a single parent and having to take care of your child while your husband isn't there? I'm really not trying to be rude, this is an honest question. I've never been a single parent so I can't really know.

ETA Oops, huge brain fart there. I completely missed the part where she said it was just during the day.

OP, is there anyway he can take the baby for maybe half an hour at night so you can take a small break and take a bath or something to relax?
  9. Senior Member
    Teething doesnt last forever I understand your husband is tired when he comes home, mine is too, but try not to feel guilty about giving yourself a small break when you can.
  10. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    The difference? Her husband is at work. She HAS a husband. She has his income and his input.

Being a single parent means you and only you. No other income. No one to discuss things with. No one to hold the reins for an hour or so.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast