Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gio's solids 101

1. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico

Gio's solids 101

Advertisements
    I have some questions about introducing solids.
    I'm going to start with rice cereal since I have one here already. I've read in other threads that I could mix it with juices or stage one? What brand of juice do you use? I'm guessing there are juices specifically for babies? Oh gosh I feel like such a bad mom by not knowing this

I've also read from some people who thought it was too early when they started feeding their babies cereal and they stopped so I'm wondering what made you think it was too early?

I'm planning on starting with rice cereal mixed with BM. Once I start doing this how should I accommodate his whole meal schedule?
    when to solid feed?
    when to breast feed?
    How often do I give him cereal?

and ... will my BM decrease too much? I'm so afraid of that and then needing it back.

Also, he just got his vaccines yesterday and he's been very very fussy and had a tough night should I wait till he feels better to start doing this?

Ok that's all for now
  2. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate
    Is he showing interest? Grabbing for your food,etc? How is his head control and how close is he to sitting up. How's his tongue thrust? What about pincher grasp?

The peds here don't recommend the rice cereal much anymore. There's nothing in it I guess. They tell us to start w/avocado or poi! Just mush up avocado and let them have tiny tastes of it.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html
  3. Senior Member
    We had Georgia's 4 month appointment a couple weeks ago and the doctor gave us the green light for cereal and then solids but I'm waiting.
    She said to start with either rice or oatmeal (I'm going to do oatmeal) but start with the single grain cereal for 5 days, then move to a multigrain for 5 days, then introduce one green vegetable at a time, then the orange/yellow vegetables, and then the fruit. All with five day stretches just to make sure there is no allergic reaction.
    I don't know how to incorporate her bottle feedings into that (breastmilk for you and Gio) so I'm curious to see what others have to say.

4. Senior Member
    Woman!!! You're not a bad mom, you're a NEW mom. I think you're doing awesome.

I started with cereal in the morning for breakfast. Then you can see how he does with it throughout the day. Introducing new foods at night can make for a loooong night if his tummy disagrees with it.

I nurse afterwards. It lets her have a drink, and tops off her tank.

When I started foods, I made my own instead of buying jars.. I bought a sweet potato, baked it, and mashed it up with water. IMO, there's a difference in the taste of Gerber baby food, and baby food you make yourself..

Avocado is a GREAT food for babies. It's packed with really good vitamins for eyes and brain. But one at the store, mash it up, and see if he likes it.

If you're worried about your milk supply, you can always mix cereal or babyfood with your milk.. You need to quit worrying so much, Shaky.. You're not going to break him, you're not going to hurt him.. Have some confidence in yourself, and follow your instincts.

If you want to do more foods, wait a couple days between each introduction. Avoid meat for a while, that can be hard to digest. I don't give my baby meat yet..

If you want to buy organic, you can be selective. Thick skinned stuff like bananas or avocados don't have to be organic, but that's jmo.. Apples have a thin skin, so I'd buy organic if I was buying apples for applesauce.
  5. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    I have some questions about introducing solids.
    I'm going to start with rice cereal since I have one here already. I've read in other threads that I could mix it with juices or stage one? What brand of juice do you use? I'm guessing there are juices specifically for babies? Oh gosh I feel like such a bad mom by not knowing this

I would mix it with BM to start with. After Matt got more used to the texture I started adding stage one fruits. Specifically pears because he loved them.

I've also read from some people who thought it was too early when they started feeding their babies cereal and they stopped so I'm wondering what made you think it was too early?

I knew 4 months was too early for Matt because it made him really constipated. I stopped after a few days and started him back up at 5 months. With the next baby I'll be waiting until 6 months to start solids unless directed by a doctor because Matt had a decent amount of constipation episodes immediately after starting solid. And if his/her doctor tells me to start him on solids, I'm getting a second opinion just to be sure.

I'm planning on starting with rice cereal mixed with BM. Once I start doing this how should I accommodate his whole meal schedule?
    when to solid feed?
    when to breast feed?
    How often do I give him cereal?

I gave cereal once a day in the beginning. Typically around lunch time. ALWAYS BF first. Breastmilk should still be his main source of nutrition at this age and up until about 9 or so months. That's when I started weaning Matt more off the bottles. Now he's down to three six ounce bottles a day.

and ... will my BM decrease too much? I'm so afraid of that and then needing it back.

since the rice cereal is more for him to get used to the texture of solids and should only given once a day, it shouldn't effect your supply too much, if at all.

Also, he just got his vaccines yesterday and he's been very very fussy and had a tough night should I wait till he feels better to start doing this?

I would put off trying anything new until he seems like he's in a better mood. But that's just me.
    Ok that's all for now
  6. Senior Member
    I would definitely wait a week or so to make sure you can tell the difference between a vaccine reaction and a food reaction. Breastfeed first before you offer any food- like Brittany said, breast milk should be his primary source of nutrition, solids are really only for fun and exploration until 9-12 months, or even longer for breastfed babies.

I personally think that 4 months is too young for solids, IMO there is really no need for them and breast milk provides everything they need at this age. Honestly, its just a lot more work and much worse smelling diapers, LOL! But that is my opinion, and I know a lot of people don't agree. My YDS was exclusively breast fed until 13 months- so no solids whatsoever for over a year and he was a big healthy baby .
  7. My milkshake feeds all the kids in the yard...
    My milkshake feeds all the kids in the yard...
    Quote Originally Posted by Genna View Post
    I would definitely wait a week or so to make sure you can tell the difference between a vaccine reaction and a food reaction. Breastfeed first before you offer any food- like Brittany said, breast milk should be his primary source of nutrition, solids are really only for fun and exploration until 9-12 months, or even longer for breastfed babies.

I personally think that 4 months is too young for solids, IMO there is really no need for them and breast milk provides everything they need at this age. Honestly, its just a lot more work and much worse smelling diapers, LOL! But that is my opinion, and I know a lot of people don't agree. My YDS was exclusively breast fed until 13 months- so no solids whatsoever for over a year and he was a big healthy baby .
    just a ditto!
    LaSageFemme
  8. Senior Member
    I'm waiting for ques from Sara to know when to feed her. When she starts really watching us eat. When she starts grabbing for our food. When breast milk doesn't seem to fill her up and keep her full.

my plan (and what I've done with my older kids) is wait for a feeding, the one around dinner time would be ideal for us. I'm going to offer her cereal mixed with either water or formula and let her eat it until she doesn't want anymore. Then I'll offer nursing. You don't have to buy baby juice. Any 100% juice is good. Most people give apple juice, pear juice or prune juice. I don't give my kids juice so I probably wont give Sara juice.

You don't have to give him cereal though. Some people think its not a healthy choice and start with veggies. That is up to you to decide.

If you think hes to young to start eating then don't feed him yet. Your his mother. You get to decide those things.
  9. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    Thanks everyone!!! Ohh I feel so much better!
    I sure I'm afraid I will break him I just think... what if I give him something I should not give him? KWIM?
    I have just become so paranoid when it comes to my baby I just want to make sure he is fine and that I'm doing the best job I can.

I was also thinking about waiting about a week that way I can make sure if he does get an allergy reaction I wont be wondering if it was the food or the vaccines. So I will wait till next week. In the mean time I'll keep reading about this

10. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

I bought a few stage 1's stuff to mix with cereal- mainly applesauce- but dont plan to start until after her check up on the 9th. I had already started Jackson on juice and a few solids by this point but im questioning everything with bella If i choose to wait, im sure the food will be okay for a month or 2.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast