Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: At DS dr app.

1. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico

At DS dr app.

Advertisements
    Today DS had his 4 months appointment (he is almost 5 months now ) and he is on the 10% on his weight (13lb 3oz) I'm honestly not that worry since he's been eating pretty good and he seems very happy after feedings I was actually surprised he has only gained a few ounces in almost 4 weeks but also I have to keep in mind how he's been sick with the RSV in this last month and the Rota Virus about two months ago.
    The nurse practitioner told me I'm feeding him for too little time. First at his two months appointment the Dr told me I was feeding him too long (40 mins) and he gained 2 pounds in two weeks. Now the nurse practitioner is telling me 20 minutes is not enough I just feed my baby for however long he wants I didn't think 20 min was bad at all.
    She told me I should start introducing cereal I thought he was too young for that
    What got me was that she also said "By 9 months you introduce the same solids you normally eat and by a year old he should only be eating solids"

What about breastfeeding him? I keep thinking this Dr office isn't very breastfeeding friendly
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    ha... molly won't be on ONLY solids at one year... most babies don't ween then given the choice.. they usually go a least a few months longer.
  3. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

wow he weighs as much as bella does I thought cereal started at 4mons?
  4. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    wow he weighs as much as bella does I thought cereal started at 4mons?
    I thought it was at 6 months!

DS doesn't even look skinny to me.
  5. Member
    I think DH and I introduced cereal/food at 4mos. I just made it very watery or extremely mashed up.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would find another dr to be honest. Either that dr is a really work or mixed you up with another patient.

I know the old way of thinking was to stop formula and BM at 1 year and it was only to be solids. At 1 food should be the #1 priority, BM second, and I'm not sure if you are to continue formula then.

To say none, is kinda...weird. JMO though.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. Senior Member

i'd choose another dr. because they really don't seem to be that knowledgeable in breastfeeding. or maybe it's just that they don't seem to promote it very well. i think it's important to breastfeed whenever and however long the baby wants to. if he isn't gaining weight, i can understand introducing cereal since he is almost 5 months...but i don't agree with solids at a year and weening off of breastmilk. unless the mother feels it's time to ween the baby at a year, i don't see why that's necessary. yes, solids are important...but so is breastmilk. it just doesn't come first or cover all nourishment at that point. i'm sorry the appt. was frustrating...i hope you're able to find good breastfeeding support and help.
  8. Senior Member
    I introduced cereal at 4 months with both my kids.. I also had to introduce some fruits, because cereal made Frances a little constipated, so I started mixing her cereal with apple-prune juice..

IMO, 4 months is not too early for rice cereal..

By 5 months, Frances is was eating sweet potatoes, squash, applesauce, prunes (for her poop), and bananas.

Keep in mind Shaky, that just because he's on the 10th percentile, that doesn't necessarily mean he's underfed. As long as his growth is moving UP on the graph, then he's growing. Some babies are just small babies because of their genetics.. At the first checkup when they graph growth, the conditions of what happened in the womb are 100% reflected. Gestational diabetes can make for a big baby at the first checkup, and smoking can make for a small baby. It's environmental.

Once the baby adjusts to life outside the womb, it's genetics will kick in, and the conditions of the womb will no longer be reflected. Does that make sense?

If the parents are small, then you'll have a small baby. You are petite, aren't you?

I went by the rule, if my baby can hold their head up, then they can eat cereal. If they can sit in a Bumbo, then it's time to try solids. My Frances is on the 50th percentile for height and weight, she's just a small baby. BUT, she will eat a quarter cup of cereal and a whole jar of food in one sitting.

If G is hungry, then feed him. Let him set the speed. Frances spent 2 days crying and fussy as all heck until I realized, "Wow, maybe she's hungry." So I started feeding her more, and listening to her cues and she became a much happier baby. I wasn't ready for her to eat so much, but she was.

She still nurses, but not as often. She dramatically cut down. It makes me sad, but she'd rather have food.. Also, once she dove into food it was hard for me to find the balance between nursing and solids. I also made her VERY constipated. But once I realized that she had to have a balance, I started giving her cereal mixed with the apple-prune and that fixed her poop..

So don't be surprised if G gets constipated, just be prepared on how to combat it hard poop.

You're doing great Shaky! And ftr, I don't like your doctor, if it was me, I'd start looking around for a different one.
  9. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    I introduced cereal at 4 months with both my kids.. I also had to introduce some fruits, because cereal made Frances a little constipated, so I started mixing her cereal with apple-prune juice..

IMO, 4 months is not too early for rice cereal..

By 5 months, Frances is was eating sweet potatoes, squash, applesauce, prunes (for her poop), and bananas.

Keep in mind Shaky, that just because he's on the 10th percentile, that doesn't necessarily mean he's underfed. As long as his growth is moving UP on the graph, then he's growing. Some babies are just small babies because of their genetics.. At the first checkup when they graph growth, the conditions of what happened in the womb are 100% reflected. Gestational diabetes can make for a big baby at the first checkup, and smoking can make for a small baby. It's environmental.

Once the baby adjusts to life outside the womb, it's genetics will kick in, and the conditions of the womb will no longer be reflected. Does that make sense?

If the parents are small, then you'll have a small baby. You are petite, aren't you?

I went by the rule, if my baby can hold their head up, then they can eat cereal. If they can sit in a Bumbo, then it's time to try solids. My Frances is on the 50th percentile for height and weight, she's just a small baby. BUT, she will eat a quarter cup of cereal and a whole jar of food in one sitting.

If G is hungry, then feed him. Let him set the speed. Frances spent 2 days crying and fussy as all heck until I realized, "Wow, maybe she's hungry." So I started feeding her more, and listening to her cues and she became a much happier baby. I wasn't ready for her to eat so much, but she was.

She still nurses, but not as often. She dramatically cut down. It makes me sad, but she'd rather have food.. Also, once she dove into food it was hard for me to find the balance between nursing and solids. I also made her VERY constipated. But once I realized that she had to have a balance, I started giving her cereal mixed with the apple-prune and that fixed her poop..

So don't be surprised if G gets constipated, just be prepared on how to combat it hard poop.

You're doing great Shaky! And ftr, I don't like your doctor, if it was me, I'd start looking around for a different one.
    I have rice cereal already here I can try with him, I just need to get some baby spoons.
    I am petite. At his 2 months appointment he was 50% with the weigh but then he got sick twice (Rota Virus, RSV) so I'm suuuure that has a lot to do with him loosing/not gaining much weigh) He just got over the RSV about 3 weeks ago. He is 10% with his weigh and 75% with his height.
    Thanks for the heads up on the hard poopy!

He also just got his vaccines yesterday and is extremely fussy, should I wait to start the cereal till he feels better?
  10. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    You know... I'm now thinking of me not eating so well is in fact affecting his weight I'm 16lb under pre pregnancy weight I'm not meaning to lose weight at all! I'm just not eating a lot of things cause it gives me bad bad gasses! I do take vitamins and calcium pills but now I'm thinking if that could be why he is not gaining weight
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast