Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flying with a baby

1. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico

Flying with a baby

Advertisements
    Any tips you would like to give for flying with an 8 months old?

DS will be 8 months when we move and the flight will be probably about 14+hrs and I'm getting so nervous about that.
    I have never flown for that long my self so I have no idea what to expect.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Not sure if you use pacifiers but the sucking helps when the plane lands and departs for popping of the ears and entertainment like toys he will enjoy at that stage and snacks. Also pack extra food for him in case the flight is delayed while you are on it. I have heard some stories lately of people being stuck on the plane.
  3. Formerly "Chels"
    Formerly "Chels"
    Blog Entries
    When we went to db's boot grad, at the time, db's sisters kids were younger and they did awesome on the plane. Her then 3 year old slept the whole time, and her then almost year old just sat in her lap..she got kind of cranky every now and then, but we gave her stuff to play with.
  4. Senior Member
    as its a long flight, check to see if you can get the front row seat in front of a wall (im sure there is a techincal word for the row but i dont know it) as some planes can attach a airline baby bassinett to the wall for the baby to sleep/play in - it even has straps for when he is lying in there so both of you might be able to get a rest

i also suggest a small bottle when taking off and landing - water is good if hes not due for a feed

pack some small snacks and toys in small ziplock bags so each bag can be interesting for him rather than overwhelming him with alot of choices at once.

i would also suggest when you first arrive you smile nicely and say hello to the people sitting around you, nice to get off in the right foot at the beginning of a long trip

goodluck!
  5. Senior Member
    anything he likes to suck on for taking off and landing.

toys and plenty of snacks to munch on.

Kaiden Matthew Baby #2
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would also suggest requesting to be seated behind the bulkhead. When we flew with DS to the Philippines it helped out so much!
  7. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    My sister was telling me to nurse him while taking off and landing to help with his ears. I think I'm afraid about being stock in a plane or airport without all the commodities we have here at home to keep him happy.
  8. Senior Member
    that happened to me on a flight when DD was 6 months old. We got stuck over night and couldn't get to our bags. Make sure to pack enough diapers and wipes to last 2 days (no joke). And since he nurses you probably just want to make sure you have enough of whatever else he eats. They are very easy going with moms and babies through security.

Kaiden Matthew Baby #2
  9. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    Thank you!
    ?
    I would buy an extra seat and take his car seat. Lifesaver when I fly with DD (which is very often, and I've done it 4 times pregnant with DD). And I'm flying with a 14 month old and 1 month old this Christmas. I would die without having their car seats for them to sleep in on the plane.
    Good luck!
    ~Amanda~
    Wife to Dakota (6.25.2007)
    Mom to Reagan (9.10.2008)
    Mom to Liam (11.6.2009)
    Due with #3 December 21st
    Missing Our Three Angels (February 2010, March 2010, May 2010-twin)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast