Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hes not gaining weight

1. Senior Member

Help Hes not gaining weight

Advertisements
    We went in to renew our WIC today, and when they weighed Carter he dropped from the 15th percentile to the 5th. He still hasnt doubled his birthweight. Hes 5 and a half months now.

He was 13.7 the beggining of september, and as of today hes 13.13. So thats 5 ounces in like a month and a half.

I dont get it, he nurses every couple of hours for 5-15 minutes, and he eats solids at night.

We have an appt monday, but as usual Im pretty worried. They said to up his solids to 2X a day, but he gets so constipated I hate the thought of doing that. I did it though, I gave him lunch just a little while ago. They also said to start him on meats because those are fattier.

Has this happened to anyone else? It scares me.
  2. I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    Honestly as great as WIC is take it with a grain of salt unless it's something your doc brings up...They kept calling my son obese bc he was over 90% but his daddy is 6'6 so he was a tall kid and eventually thined out....his docs weren't worried at all...So relax and talk to the doc...
  3. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    I have NEVER heard of starting meats that early! I think we waited until about 7 months or so for meats. I wouldn't take advice from wic. Talk to his doctor before changing anything with his eating habits.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Honestly as great as WIC is take it with a grain of salt unless it's something your doc brings up...They kept calling my son obese bc he was over 90% but his daddy is 6'6 so he was a tall kid and eventually thined out....his docs weren't worried at all...So relax and talk to the doc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany Rashel View Post
    I have NEVER heard of starting meats that early! I think we waited until about 7 months or so for meats. I wouldn't take advice from wic. Talk to his doctor before changing anything with his eating habits.
    I've heard some STUPID advice come out of a WIC office. Just do what you think is best until you can ask the doctor.
  5. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    Bella stopped gaining weight and lost a few ounces and the dr said I needed to increase her calorie intake, that she needed to stop snacking at the boob. The way I got her to gain was to give her oatmeal in the morning and again at night with a scoop of formula added to it.

I think it is normal but I understand why you are concerned, I was too.
  6. Senior Member
    \]
    Last edited by NobodySpecial; 01-05-2010 at 05:33 AM.
    Needs work.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany Rashel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by *Pamela* View Post
    I've heard some STUPID advice come out of a WIC office. Just do what you think is best until you can ask the doctor.
    Should have specified, it was the nurse line for his pedi who told me to start meats and up his solids. I thought it was early too, but they said the new reccomendation is 6 months. Seems early but I guess thats what they say now. IDK, I feel so weird about giving him meats.

The nurse line also asked me if he was rolling over or sitting up, and I said hes only rolled over a few times she was like okay we need to get you in ASAP, whatever that means. Made me a big worried mess.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    MEATS!? my daughter is 9 mos and i still dont really give her meat.

does he eat cereal?
  9. Banned
    Banned
    he is 5 1/2 months- he should be rolling over all he time-

how are the other developmental milestones;

does he hold is head up when you sit him up?

can he stand while you hold him?

is he reaching for toys?
    can he track a toy ( watching move from left to right and right to left)?

babies develop ery differently and him not rolling over ALL the time is not such a big deal IF he is on track with the other milestones.

he should be getting 4- 6 oz of breastmilk at every feeding and it should take 30 minutes for him to feed each time-
    if you do not think he is getting that stop the "snack" feedings and focus on a scheduled feeding schedule for 7 days- try to get him to feed every 3 hours around the clock UNLESS he is sleeping thru the night and then do not wake him to feed.

add a tablespoon of formula to his cereal and give him 3-4 tablespoons of cereal before bed and again when he wakes up ( at this age he can have applesause and prunes and peaches mixed in with the cereal to help the consitapation)

I would not give meats AT ALL!!

also for you are you dieting? ( hopefully not,),,,are you drinking at least 2% milk, eating lots of protien and adding olive oil to cooking these will help get "fats" into your breastmilk which will inturn get into your DS.

My DD was always small- when she was 1 she didn't gain a pound for a whole yr! she weighed 17 lbs for the yr, but grew 3 inches.

try not to worry over much until you see the doctor.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda. View Post
    MEATS!? my daughter is 9 mos and i still dont really give her meat.

does he eat cereal?
    That was my same reaction, I was like wtf? meat?!?! Yeah I guess 6 months is the new suggestion to start them. I dunno.

He eats cereal but he gets so constipated I dont really like to give it to him. Ive been giving him some solids at night (not cereal) But I gave him some cereal for lunch today.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast