Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergies - What can I do?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Allergies - What can I do?

Advertisements
    Today was Kylee's 2 month check up. Since she came home from the hospital she's had a stuffy/runny nose and sneezes a TON. Like every day, all day. At her 2 week check up, her doctor said it was probably a cold, so keep doing the saline drops/sucking out her nose, dressing her warmly, keep her inside (even though outside was like an inferno anyway) things like that. Since she was so young there wasn't much we could do.

But today since she STILL has it, he checked her nose and said it's definitely allergies. He said her snot hasn't changed (I don't know what he meant by that.. It's green, is it not supposed to be?) and her sinuses haven't developed yet so it could be a number of things she's allergic to. It could be seasonal or she could be allergic to our dog. So he said until we find out and know for sure, to keep the dog away from her because it can develop into a serious allergy (like hives, can't breathe).

Here's my problem: He sheds a LOT. His hair is everywhere, no matter how much I vacuum, dust, clean, everything.. You pet him one time and it's all over your hand and the surface that he's on, whether it be the floor, couch, blanket, etc.

What can I do? I've been racking my brain since her appointment this morning, and I honestly cannot come up with anything. Before this I HATED the hair everywhere and tried to keep it cleaned up anyway; that's why we got a short haired dog - because I can't stand the shedding. I'm just really at a loss as to what I can do. I feel bad for her because sometimes her nose is so stuffed up she snorts when she tries to breathe.
  2. Senior Member
    Could you upgrade your vacuum?
  3. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

*I* have allergies to my dog.... Bush your dog daily, outside (and get something like the furminator). Also vacuum at least once a day. If you don't want to brush your dog outside, get the furminator that attaches to the vacuum, that's what we have. You CAN keep the shedding managable, but it takes work on your part. I also LOVE my Dyson animal... but they are pricey. I have a lab that sheds quite a lot and I never have fur all over my house because of regular washing and thorough brushing of the dog... and because I vaccum very well every day.
  4. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    Bathing the dog and brushing him will help, vacuuming too.
    My son has a mild allergy to our cats and we got an air purifier with HEPA filter right away as well as one for the A/C unit. I vacuum constantly and wash the blankets I put on the floor for him to be on every time he uses them. I've noticed the difference.

We also just got two products from the pet shop that supposedly control the dander and allergies ("guaranteed") for the cats but haven't use them yet.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    *I* have allergies to my dog.... Bush your dog daily, outside (and get something like the furminator). Also vacuum at least once a day. If you don't want to brush your dog outside, get the furminator that attaches to the vacuum, that's what we have. You CAN keep the shedding managable, but it takes work on your part. I also LOVE my Dyson animal... but they are pricey. I have a lab that sheds quite a lot and I never have fur all over my house because of regular washing and thorough brushing of the dog... and because I vaccum very well every day.
    my sister has one too and LOVES it
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    Could you upgrade your vacuum?
    We have a Kirby, so if there is a better one out there we definitely can't afford it

Thanks I'll have to give this all a try. I'm allergic to cats, and my mom got two my senior year of high school.. It was HELL. We even had hardwood floors & my mom vacuumed the couches everyday before I got home from school & they weren't allowed in my room.. It still didn't make a difference I was miserable - like using my inhaler twice a day plus taking benedryl every 4 hours miserable. I hated being home and I just don't want it to be like that for her
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
    Bathing the dog and brushing him will help, vacuuming too.
    My son has a mild allergy to our cats and we got an air purifier with HEPA filter right away as well as one for the A/C unit. I vacuum constantly and wash the blankets I put on the floor for him to be on every time he uses them. I've noticed the difference.

We also just got two products from the pet shop that supposedly control the dander and allergies ("guaranteed") for the cats but haven't use them yet.
    He gets a bath every 4 weeks, but we can't give bathe him more because he has dry skin and it irritates it. I used to brush him almost daily, but since baby that hasn't been so much

I'll have to look into those products! I've never heard of such a thing! Thank you!
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by navywifey514 View Post
    He gets a bath every 4 weeks, but we can't give bathe him more because he has dry skin and it irritates it. I used to brush him almost daily, but since baby that hasn't been so much

I'll have to look into those products! I've never heard of such a thing! Thank you!

Depending on what you're feeding a change in food could drastically help the shedding and dry skin.
  9. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!
    http://www.bullwrinkle.com/ShoppingPages/allergroom.htm

i hear this works very well. i have never used it myself, but a woman i worked with used on her cat bc her daughter is allergic. so maybe give that a try
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Depending on what you're feeding a change in food could drastically help the shedding and dry skin.
    We've tried tooons of different foods. Nothing really made any changes except one that made his skin worse.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyToaster View Post
    http://www.bullwrinkle.com/ShoppingPages/allergroom.htm

i hear this works very well. i have never used it myself, but a woman i worked with used on her cat bc her daughter is allergic. so maybe give that a try
    Thank you! I'm definitely going to try this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast