Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did I do the right thing?

1. Senior Member

Help Did I do the right thing?

Advertisements
    So a friend of mine was watching my goddaughter, who is 5 months old. My goddaughters mom and the friend watching her are my two best friends. My goddaughter was having a really fussy day, so I was on the phone with my friend pretty much all day giving her tips and talking her through how to calm her down. I dont mind doing this, and a lot of the things she was doing were helping, so it was fine.

A little over an hour ago I get a phone call and my friend is FREAKING out. My goddaughter is still screaming, and my friend sounds like she is going nuts. Just the way she was talkign I could tell she was losing control of the situation. I told her to put my goddaughter down in her bouncer in the other room, and just go and sit and listen to some music and come back to her in a few minutes. She needed to cool off.

I get another call a few minutes later, she said she left for a few minutes but she came back and was still screaming. I went through different things to try, but none of them were helping. I told her that babies can tell when youre tense, so she needs to try to relax. She snapped. She started yelling telling me she cant fucking relax and that she doesnt know what else to do and shes about to flip the fuck out.

Luckily my friend showed up to pick her up while we were still having that conversation. SHe didnt say anything to my other friend and acted fine when she showed up.

I called my friend after and basically summarized that she was having a fussy day and she wasnt handling it well. I didnt go into huge detail, but I told her that our friend was freaking out and that she had to leave my goddaughter a few times just to calm down.

Well now the other friend is mad at me, I get why, but I know if someone watching Carter was doing this I would for SURE want to know.

What do you think? Did I do the right thing? I just hate when people are mad at me.
  2. Senior Member
    Since you were involved in the situation via a phone call, I believe it was the right thing. The only time I'd think it wasn't the right move would be if it were second hand information after the fact.
  3. Senior Member
    I think you did the right thing. I would want to know if someone watching Hayden was freaking out so bad too.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdlansdale View Post
    Since you were involved in the situation via a phone call, I believe it was the right thing. The only time I'd think it wasn't the right move would be if it were second hand information after the fact.
    I agree. I just know if she was watching Carter and all this was going on I would be mad if someone knew and didnt tell me. I wouldnt want her to watch him again. Im not saying shes a bad person, and it doesnt change what I think about her, but the whole situation sucked. Im rambling
  5. Senior Member
    If you weren't directly involved and your friend was just telling you about it later, I'd say you crossed a line. But I don't think that's the case in this situation If she can't calm down, and was freaking out THAT badly, she shouldn't be watching ANYONE'S kids, IMO.
  6. deployment #2: 1 month down!
    deployment #2: 1 month down!
    I think you did the right thing. I would want to know if the person I had left my kid with was having a hard time handling him.
  7. Starting over...
    Starting over...
    I absolutely think you did the right thing!! You were looking out for the baby, and that is definitely what's best. I know it's hard to have someone mad at you, but for the safety of the baby I believe it was necessary... If she would flip out like that then it doesn't seem like she is any position to be babysitting.

I will do what God asks me to do; I will give God what I cannot do; and no matter what, I will trust the Lord.
    "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." - Hebrews 11:1
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xocassandralee View Post
    I agree. I just know if she was watching Carter and all this was going on I would be mad if someone knew and didnt tell me. I wouldnt want her to watch him again. Im not saying shes a bad person, and it doesnt change what I think about her, but the whole situation sucked. Im rambling
    I would also want to know if it were my child. She should also be a big enough person to tell the parent that she just can't handle a fussy baby and would be happy to pick up baby sitting duties once the child is a little older. Some people just don't handle the little ones very well.

I hope your friend understands this later and gets over being mad at you!
  9. Senior Member
    IDK why I put this in new moms forum. Im all sorts of
  10. Photographer in Southern CA
    Photographer in Southern CA
    Blog Entries

I think you did the right thing, 100%. How far do you live, is there a way you could go help one day if she ever needed it? With shaken baby syndrom, it would be nice if she knew you were able to help if it ever got out of hand.

And my tip for a fussy baby, I always go walk outside. The fresh air always calms a baby down
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast