Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: switching between bottle & breast

1. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta

Question switching between bottle & breast

Advertisements
    have you used both breastfeeding and formula? good experience or bad?

we gave her a little formula before bed last night (only about 1 ounce a half-hour after bf-ing) and it worked wonders getting her to sleep. very tempted to continue but i dont want her to then wean off bfing...
  2. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

For ME it ended up causing Zayne to start refusing the breast.
  3. lord help us all!
    lord help us all!
    i can't get Logan to eat formula. i am ready to wean...he is not
  4. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    For ME it ended up causing Zayne to start refusing the breast.
    was it the bottle? or the actual formula? we have been using a bottle with her for a couple of weeks with pumped milk and she doesn't have any problem switching between nipples. but if zayne preferred the formula over the breastmilk, well that's what i'm afraid of...
  5. Senior Member
    The bottle isn't usually the problem. Supplementing your supply is. Every ounce of formula you give your baby is an ounce she doesn't take from your breast, therefore decreasing your demand which then decreases your supply. Even some women who are successful with pumping (many it just doesn't work for) who pump through the formula feeding still begin the bad cycle of declining demand and supply.
    Needs work.
  6. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by jlbecker View Post
    was it the bottle? or the actual formula? we have been using a bottle with her for a couple of weeks with pumped milk and she doesn't have any problem switching between nipples. but if zayne preferred the formula over the breastmilk, well that's what i'm afraid of...

I didn't have a problem giving bottles of breastmilk here and there but when I started to supplement with formula (pedi told me too and I shouldn't have listened, he's still thin like he was then) he started to nurse less and less and want the bottle. So I think it may have been a combination of both.
  7. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    You might encounter a problem with her refusing the breast, because of the speed at which the liquid comes out. She might start enjoying the bottle more. Is there any way you can feed her breastmilk in a bottle?!

Feeding formula through the bottle and nursing at other times may interfere with your milk supply.
  8. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    The breastflow bottles by the first years are the best for switching back and forth. There are two separate nipples so the baby has to latch on to it the same way they do the breast. You can see it when the baby is eating. They are not very expensive compared to other bottles and they work great. They are the only kind Bella will take even still.

Breastflow bottles
  9. Senior Member
    Cristian has had a bottle only a few times his whole life. I didn't want to hurt my supply or have him wean. For me I thought I would be cheating him of something by giving him formula just so he would sleep. I dunno, I don't feel right about doing it. jmo.
  10. Senior Member
    Is there a reason of giving formula? I would stick with breastfeeding if that is truly what you want. If you start giving both, the baby will rather have the bottle because it is easier.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast