Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He's sick and I hate this :(

1. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce

Sad He's sick and I hate this :(

Advertisements
    Wes had a nasty cough for about a week and I tried EVERYTHING. It turned into a phlegmy-sounding cough and it just wasn't going away so I took him to see his Ped. yesterday.

He has Bronchiolitis and a left ear infection. I had NO idea about the ear infection but the respiratory infection has me dieing inside.

I have to give him breathing treatments 4x a day, Prednisone 1x a day, and Antibiotics 2x a day.

It is so hard to put that mask on his face. He fights me about it too. He'll squirm down and out of my arms, put his arm up to block me, tilt his head so I can't put it near his face...and he cries and gets angry with me. There is a long history of respiratory problems in my family, and I know this is only temporary, but I can't stand it.

And he's constantly hacking and choking and gagging. He turns pale when he's trying to hack up whatever he's got. I can't stand this.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    It happens. Its not your fault. Babies get sick. He will be ok
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I had to give Ds breathing treatments! You could try to take the mask off and give him a toy to play with or make noise and just put the tube thing in his face where the smoke stuff comes out. KWIM Ds's doc told me about that trick and it really worked!

I hope he gets better soon! PM me if you have any questions about the treatment stuff! I can tell you what know about it!
  4. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    We just took Gio to the doctor today and he has RSV not sure if that's exactly what your baby has but it sounds like the same. We are giving him treatments too and antibiotics only if he gets a fever which he only has gotten once yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by knehr View Post
    I had to give Ds breathing treatments! You could try to take the mask off and give him a toy to play with or make noise and just put the tube thing in his face where the smoke stuff comes out. KWIM Ds's doc told me about that trick and it really worked!

I hope he gets better soon! PM me if you have any questions about the treatment stuff! I can tell you what know about it!
    This is exactly how I'm doing it and Giovanni even tries to suck on it LOL I hope he gets better soon!
  5. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    His pediatrician told me that it's along the lines of RSV. It's a type of respiratory infection. This morning he fought tooth and nail with me about it... During the day, he did good, and tonight, he was like a zombie. He just sat in my lap with his head tilted back and licked his lips (the taste of Albuterol must interest him. )

I just want him to get better... His head is off and on hot (but he has no fever) and he's constantly got the breathing that sounds like something is stuck in his throat (you know, what you have a phlegmy cough).

PS...Wesson HATES the antibiotics. Amoxicillin is not his friend.
  6. bend...and snap!
    bend...and snap!
    J, do you want someone to help you this weekend? I can come if you want.
  7. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by Roboto View Post
    J, do you want someone to help you this weekend? I can come if you want.
    Nah, it's ok. It's a long drive!!!

I've been managing to do some things here and there when he goes down. He just fell asleep so I'm going to toss a load of laundry in. Other then a couple of bills and doing some minor work on DH's truck, I should be ok. My boss wants me to come in for a "mandatory" work weekend...I "might" go in for a couple of hours but I haven't decided yet... I think I'm going to tell him to buzz off because Wesson is sick.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by devilwhiterose View Post
    His pediatrician told me that it's along the lines of RSV. It's a type of respiratory infection. This morning he fought tooth and nail with me about it... During the day, he did good, and tonight, he was like a zombie. He just sat in my lap with his head tilted back and licked his lips (the taste of Albuterol must interest him. )

I just want him to get better... His head is off and on hot (but he has no fever) and he's constantly got the breathing that sounds like something is stuck in his throat (you know, what you have a phlegmy cough).

PS...Wesson HATES the antibiotics. Amoxicillin is not his friend.
    Okay - so I don't know if this will help - but I"m a pedi nurse and worked pulmonary for a year and half - so here's what we did.

First...for the treatments, wrap him up in a bundle/swaddle like you did when he was little. hold him in your arms and just hover the mask or the tubing in front of his face. He'll still get the medicine.

Secondly - does he take a bottle? If you put the antibiotic in a nipple and have him suck it out of the nipple, then replace the empty nipple with a full bottle - that should trick him enough to swallow it all, then take the taste right away.

You can also try squirting the meds in the back of his cheek, holding his chin shut and blowing in his face really quick and semi-forcefully. It should trigger a involuntary swallow response.

He WILL get through this. If he gets too congested, run the shower and stand in there with him with the door closed so he breathes in the steam. Then afterwards, put him on his back, cup your hand and thump him on his back - all over his back - for about 15 minutes. It's called chest percussion. Make sure to cup your hand though - it will makea hollow noise from your hand if you're cupping right, and also it won't hurt him. The thumps should feel forceful to you - but what you're doing is breaking the junk loose from his lung walls so he can cough it out.

Good luck! PM me if you have any questions at all.
  9. Senior Member
    Oh no. I hope he gets better soon

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    Okay - so I don't know if this will help - but I"m a pedi nurse and worked pulmonary for a year and half - so here's what we did.

First...for the treatments, wrap him up in a bundle/swaddle like you did when he was little. hold him in your arms and just hover the mask or the tubing in front of his face. He'll still get the medicine.

Secondly - does he take a bottle? If you put the antibiotic in a nipple and have him suck it out of the nipple, then replace the empty nipple with a full bottle - that should trick him enough to swallow it all, then take the taste right away.

You can also try squirting the meds in the back of his cheek, holding his chin shut and blowing in his face really quick and semi-forcefully. It should trigger a involuntary swallow response.

He WILL get through this. If he gets too congested, run the shower and stand in there with him with the door closed so he breathes in the steam. Then afterwards, put him on his back, cup your hand and thump him on his back - all over his back - for about 15 minutes. It's called chest percussion. Make sure to cup your hand though - it will makea hollow noise from your hand if you're cupping right, and also it won't hurt him. The thumps should feel forceful to you - but what you're doing is breaking the junk loose from his lung walls so he can cough it out.

Good luck! PM me if you have any questions at all.
    awesome advice!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast