Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I really enjoy

1. Senior Member

Smile I really enjoy

Advertisements
    Making my own baby food!

I like knowing exactly what hes eating and knowing that theres no chemicals/preservatives or what not in it.

I got a sweet potato at the farmers market a couple weeks ago for $1. After only 15 minutes of work, I had 10 jars of baby food.

$1 for ten jars of baby food is Plus I made them too big, so they last him about 2 feedings, which is even better.

Anybody else making their own?
  2. Senior Member
    I made her some in Italy... I need to here, but haven't found the time yet (should get off of here) and we leave on Tuesday for two weeks and then are moving, will definitely start once we move again.
  3. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    I'm interested in doing this so post all your tips and tricks! Also, what containers do you use? and do you freeze it?
  4. Senior Member
    I'm def going to make my own next time around. Like you said, knowing exactly what is going into the food is worth the extra time.
  5. Senior Member
    I'm definitely planning on making my own too. I saw some cute containers at Babies R Us (basically just fancy icecube trays) that I might buy.

6. Many of the things that can never be, often are.
    Many of the things that can never be, often are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
    I'm interested in doing this so post all your tips and tricks! Also, what containers do you use? and do you freeze it?
    Yes this! I want to know what containers you use?! I plan on using Ashtons baby food jars atm but they are the small ones (2.5 oz) and I think he's going to be a LOT more than that soon and it'd just be a hassle to have to set out 2 or more jars... yeah I''m lazy.

"So, after tech school are they going to deport you?"
    "...*silence*... No babe... they aren't going to deport me..."
  7. Senior Member
    I do!! It's soo much cheaper. I just put mine in an ice cube tray to freeze it. Then when they're frozen I pop the little cubes in a big ziploc freezer bag. Usually 2 or 3 cubes is a full feeding for him now at 10 months.
  8. Senior Member
    I love making DD food. I used to pre-make all of ds meals ahead of time but with dd I just make her meal when it is time to eat.
  9. They call me Mouse Potato
    They call me Mouse Potato
    when he was on pureed food I made everything and froze it for DS. you basically just bake or boil until it's soft. then put it in a blender and puree it. you can add a little water if it's too thick but depends on babies preference. then just put into ice cube trays and freeze. once frozen put in a big freezer ziploc bag. then jsut pull out a couple at a time as needed. it's so much cheaper and healthier doing the fresh food than buying the jar stuff.
    DH: "Your even more beautiful as my wife"

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessi0609 View Post
    Yes this! I want to know what containers you use?! I plan on using Ashtons baby food jars atm but they are the small ones (2.5 oz) and I think he's going to be a LOT more than that soon and it'd just be a hassle to have to set out 2 or more jars... yeah I''m lazy.
    I just use smaller tupperware that can be frozen and microwaved and freeze it in that.

You basically just chop the food, steam it, then blend it or throw it in a food chopper thingy. I make more at once because Im too lazy to do it every night.

Bananas and avacados dont need to be cooked, you can just mash them up with a fork.

I thin it out with breastmilk once I warm it up. I dont freeze it already thinned in case when he gets to eat it he doesnt need it as thin anymore.

I have a ton of pears right now and we wont be able to finish them all, so Im going to make some baby food out of them so it doesnt go to waste.

Its a lot easier than youd think it would be, and it saves money too
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast